The Student Room Group

Advice on laptop

Hi Everyone I need some help for choosing a laptop, I need a cheap portable ideally 14 inch screen for myself doing a levels.The laptop only needs to last 2 years as I will be saving up for a new laptop for university.So i need some help choosing a laptop my limit is 500 pounds.I like the https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-52-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198869-pdt.html i was just wondering whether the laptop is alright if not if there is any better laptop for the price.Thanks everyone I don’t really know what I’m looking for so any advice is highly grateful...

Cheers 🍻 Everyone

Scroll to see replies

Can’t go wrong with an HP Pavilion like this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

If you get something like that then it should also be perfect for getting you through at least some of uni as well as your A-levels. I’m sure the one you’re looking at is just as good. Just don’t go for a Lenovo, I’ve heard and experienced nothing but bad things about their devices
Original post by SingerPro
Can’t go wrong with an HP Pavilion like this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

If you get something like that then it should also be perfect for getting you through at least some of uni as well as your A-levels. I’m sure the one you’re looking at is just as good. Just don’t go for a Lenovo, I’ve heard and experienced nothing but bad things about their devices

Could you explain a bit more on Lenovo laptops as ones that suck ? I've got one, got it last Christmas, this one I got for £340. What do you think of it ? So far, I think it's alright but just something about the display, probably my own eyes, but it isn't an IPS display which could be the reason. Tbh I'm not sure why I find laptops difficult for my eyes. I have the application f.lux on it but still find it difficult, but my iPad I find ok on my eyes using some warm temperature display thing on it and for phone using blue light screen filter I find it ok. My previous laptop woz 15.6" 720p HD (current Lenovo one is I think 1080p HD but not the usual IPS display) but still found it difficult on eyes despite the f.lux app. I think I might go for a 12.5" laptop next time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-S340-14-Windows-10-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U-8GB-256GB-SSD-Win10/184027799575?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(edited 4 years ago)
I have this laptop and it's a great laptop for a lower ranged price laptop. I'm using it for A levels right now and it has great specifications for its price.
Original post by PetitePanda
I have this laptop and it's a great laptop for a lower ranged price laptop. I'm using it for A levels right now and it has great specifications for its price.

Which laptop you referring to ? The one I mentioned/got ?
Original post by Anonymous370
Which laptop you referring to ? The one I mentioned/got ?

The one OP has in the link. Actually its different because i have Ryzen 5 processor and it's 15"6 but it has the same features

I'm not sure how you've only ever heard bad things about Lenovo. Their laptops are brilliant.
Could you explain a bit more on Lenovo laptops as ones that suck ? I've got one, got it last Christmas, this one I got for £340. What do you think of it ? So far, I think it's alright but just something about the display, probably my own eyes, but it isn't an IPS display which could be the reason. Tbh I'm not sure why I find laptops difficult for my eyes. I have the application f.lux on it but still find it difficult, but my iPad I find ok on my eyes using some warm temperature display thing on it and for phone using blue light screen filter I find it ok. My previous laptop woz 15.6" 720p HD (current Lenovo one is I think 1080p HD but not the usual IPS display) but still found it difficult on eyes despite the f.lux app. I think I might go for a 12.5" laptop next time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-S340-14-Windows-10-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U-8GB-256GB-SSD-Win10/184027799575?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Someone else mentioned below that they like their Lenovo laptops so I’m possibly not up to date. I know that they are infamous for installing lots and lots of rubbish that you never use on their machines which I believe serves a deeper purpose - all machines I’ve had like that slow down and become more frustrating to use very quickly - and I can remember the same happening with Toshiba and with HP up until a point while windows 8 was out. The machine you’ve linked seems very good (I definitely have a preference for intel rather than AMD but it makes very little difference) so it’s a shame about the screen. I can’t help much with that but here’s hoping you can find something which works for you
Original post by Knortfoxx
I'm not sure how you've only ever heard bad things about Lenovo. Their laptops are brilliant.

I don’t think they’re great for the long term. I’ve explained above but my personal experience hasn’t been great with them (this was before windows 10 days mind you)
I don’t think they’re great for the long term. I’ve explained above but my personal experience hasn’t been great with them (this was before windows 10 days mind you)

okay. As for screen/display, I guess my eyes either need a 12.5" screen OR Apple/MacBook screen. What is with iPad/Apple screen that makes em feeling easier in a sense on the eyes tho ? Some sort of Retine display unique to Apple or what ? Any clue ?
Original post by Eferjf
Hi Everyone I need some help for choosing a laptop, I need a cheap portable ideally 14 inch screen for myself doing a levels.The laptop only needs to last 2 years as I will be saving up for a new laptop for university.So i need some help choosing a laptop my limit is 500 pounds.I like the https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-52-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198869-pdt.html i was just wondering whether the laptop is alright if not if there is any better laptop for the price.Thanks everyone I don’t really know what I’m looking for so any advice is highly grateful...

Cheers 🍻 Everyone

No point buying a brand-new laptop if you’re only planning to use it for two years and only going to use it for school work and stuff. You can get some good refurbished laptops on eBay for £100-£150. If you find it’s not good enough you can always sell it and buy yourself a more powerful laptop. I recommend the Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, they’re pretty good and have really good keyboards. Excellent laptops for working/typing on.

This is what I have, and it's been perfect for A levels :smile:
Original post by redmeercat

it's a lot of £££ mate. Why not just get a MacBook/iPad then if you can afford half a grand on a laptop ?
What about Dell Latitude isn't so good ? 12.5" and HD display, SSD drive for speed (atleast 256GB I believe), 8GB RAM, Intel i5 (Quad-Core I think). I used it at Work, a Business model, and it absolutely blew me away !!! :eek::eek::eek: Lightweight, fast/turbo-speed, small, agile, quiet/not noisy fan etc. It was perfect, a dream laptop.

EDIT: Dell Latitude 7280 Ultrabook it woz called. A real beast, Jet laptop it was. Killing it at work with pace, power like anything/as if there's no tomorrow...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-7280-Ultrabook-12-5-Core-i7-7600U-2-80Ghz-16GB-256GB-SSD-Wins-10/153821539273?hash=item23d07a6bc9:g:2DAAAOSw7XFeD1H-
(edited 4 years ago)
it's a lot of £££ mate. Why not just get a MacBook/iPad then if you can afford half a grand on a laptop ?

Get it second hand and it'll work just as well, usually, for 1/5 of the price :wink:

But you're right, I hadn't realised the price it was new.
Get it second hand and it'll work just as well, usually, for 1/5 of the price :wink:

Yep. eBay all the way mate ! :wink::p:):biggrin:.
But you're right, I hadn't realised the price it was new.

The Dell Latitude 7280 Ultrabook 12.5" laptop above is just the best I've ever seen (and experienced it). Nothing compares to (unless of course you've got unlimited Bank balance)...
okay. As for screen/display, I guess my eyes either need a 12.5" screen OR Apple/MacBook screen. What is with iPad/Apple screen that makes em feeling easier in a sense on the eyes tho ? Some sort of Retine display unique to Apple or what ? Any clue ?

Could be the Retina display or that Apple devices could be using less blue light than other devices. Aren’t there any other devices with retina displays you can try? If you liked the Dell laptop then that could be your best bet, you can’t really go wrong with Dell :biggrin:

I love mine, still have it to this day :biggrin:
Could be the Retina display or that Apple devices could be using less blue light than other devices. Aren’t there any other devices with retina displays you can try? If you liked the Dell laptop then that could be your best bet, you can’t really go wrong with Dell :biggrin:

PRSOM. I only got my Lenono machine last Christmas, spent £340 on it and of course all the me setting it up. So getting a new laptop now I'd rather not go for, maybe like after 2 more years or so I'll go get my dream laptop, Dell Latitude 7280 Ultrabook, a beast laptop, and o like it's small 12.5" display and it's lightweight...

Quick Reply

Latest