The Student Room Group

Will unis accept two a levels and two as levels?

Currently I’m on track to study 3 full a levels (history, literature and french). However, I am finding french really difficult and have been offered to do another as next year, meaning I’d finish school with 2 a levels and 2 as levels (history and English as the full two, french and psychology as the as’). Obviously I know I wouldn’t be accepted into Oxford or Cambridge or anything like that but what universities would actually accept that? For example, I’m quite interested in Swansea Uni and doing either psychology or history; does anyone know if it’d be accepted? I did contact Swansea but they just sent me the links to the page for each course respectively so I’m still stuck. Help!
Reply 1
Most unis will want three a-levels unfortunately but some unis do accept UCAS tariff points rather than the grades themselves so if you truly want to drop the a-level then I'd recommend checking unis that do this. Try calling the uni up and asking them directly as they'll be more likely to give you much more information :smile:
Original post by ughexams123
Currently I’m on track to study 3 full a levels (history, literature and french). However, I am finding french really difficult and have been offered to do another as next year, meaning I’d finish school with 2 a levels and 2 as levels (history and English as the full two, french and psychology as the as’). Obviously I know I wouldn’t be accepted into Oxford or Cambridge or anything like that but what universities would actually accept that? For example, I’m quite interested in Swansea Uni and doing either psychology or history; does anyone know if it’d be accepted? I did contact Swansea but they just sent me the links to the page for each course respectively so I’m still stuck. Help!

lower ranked unis accept UCAS Tariff points.
you might find some but most wont, you'd be in a situation of picking what unis are available rather then finding one you want (which is not the way to find a uni ideally).
While obviously Oxbridge and similar (Imperial, LSE, UCL, etc.) want to see applicants that have undertaken three A-levels over two years, other universities may be more flexible in considering you if you sit 3 A-levels over 3 years (i.e. sit two A-level exams next year, then one the year after). Bear in mind no matter what, your learning experience has been disrupted to some extent by the coronavirus situation, so I imagine many universities will be expecting to give the benefit of the doubt for the next application cycle (at least) to applicants who were studying during this time.
If you do this then you’ll only have 2 and most require 3. Possibly might be able to go to a uni that offers on ucas points usually you need 112points but generally they’re lower ranking unis

Quick Reply

Latest