The Student Room Group

Should I bother considering Cambridge?

I’ve been thinking about the possibility of applying to Cambridge this year for Philosophy (depending on the grades I get in the summer obviously!) but I’m quite concerned about my GCSEs.
I missed the majority of secondary school as I was battling my chronic pain condition and other issues - to put it into perspective from y7 throughout y10 I’d be in school for a week and miss three. Y11 was my most consistent year but it was still rather sporadic.
In the end I was proud of my GCSE grades (887755543) as I thought I’d have to defer and take them next year so I wouldn’t fail everything that year, but even if I end up predicted A*AA or higher for my a-levels, would me applying to Cambridge be a waste of a space that I could fill with another uni that I’d be more likely to get into?
(btw - the 3 wasn’t in an “essential” subject, it was for music, and I made the decision to neglect it so I’d be able to catch up and revise effectively for my other subjects. I know that’s still not ideal).
Thank you in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You get 5 choices, so you still have 4 left if you choose to apply (which is likely more than enough). Given your circumstances, Cambridge would likely not be bothered by your GCSE grades.
Cambridge isn't bothered by GCSEs. As long as you get the entry requirements, you will be fine. You have 4 choices left anyway so there's no harm in trying.
thank you both :smile:
1) The aim is not to get 5 offers. The aim is to get 2+ that you are happy with.

2) The probability of getting in if you don't apply = 0. The probability of getting in if you do apply > 0.
Original post by ageshallnot
1) The aim is not to get 5 offers. The aim is to get 2+ that you are happy with.

2) The probability of getting in if you don't apply = 0. The probability of getting in if you do apply > 0.

True, you’re right, thank you. Self doubt is also a factor here I feel :/
Go for it, otherwise you could later be thinking "what if"
You sound like you stand a chance. They’re not that bothered about gcses anyway
Definitely apply if you're on track for those A-Level grades!!

Additionally, when you apply you really need to get onto the Extenuating circumstances form so that they are able to understand why your grades aren't as good as they should have been. It won't disadvantage your application in any way and will mean you are given fair consideration.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form
Reply 9
Original post by justjas33
I’ve been thinking about the possibility of applying to Cambridge this year for Philosophy (depending on the grades I get in the summer obviously!) but I’m quite concerned about my GCSEs.
I missed the majority of secondary school as I was battling my chronic pain condition and other issues - to put it into perspective from y7 throughout y10 I’d be in school for a week and miss three. Y11 was my most consistent year but it was still rather sporadic.
In the end I was proud of my GCSE grades (887755543) as I thought I’d have to defer and take them next year so I wouldn’t fail everything that year, but even if I end up predicted A*AA or higher for my a-levels, would me applying to Cambridge be a waste of a space that I could fill with another uni that I’d be more likely to get into?
(btw - the 3 wasn’t in an “essential” subject, it was for music, and I made the decision to neglect it so I’d be able to catch up and revise effectively for my other subjects. I know that’s still not ideal).
Thank you in advance :smile:

Cambridge looks for students that are extremely passionate about their subject and if they are teachable (open-minded)
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs anywhere near as much as Oxford and other top unis (although they are still considered, just as a smaller part of the broad application). In addition, when you apply you get send the SAQ form where you have space to write anything that impacted your past results. Your grades are largely very good anyway, and are made even better in context. If you're predicted high enough A levels, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for Cambridge :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Paralove
Definitely apply if you're on track for those A-Level grades!!

Additionally, when you apply you really need to get onto the Extenuating circumstances form so that they are able to understand why your grades aren't as good as they should have been. It won't disadvantage your application in any way and will mean you are given fair consideration.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Ah I no clue there was a form! I’ll definitely be using that if my grades work out. Thank you :smile:
Original post by xsowmix
Cambridge looks for students that are extremely passionate about their subject and if they are teachable (open-minded)

Hence why I prefer them to Oxford! I know they look for the same students, but Cambridge seems more understanding in that not everyone are gonna be stunning students with stunning grades from GCSE level. I much prefer that there’s more of a focus on passion and excitement to learn :smile: hence why I’m dying to go all of a sudden haha
I much prefer that there’s more of a focus on passion and excitement to learn :smile: hence why I’m dying to go all of a sudden haha

I'd be a little bit careful with this. Just because Cambridge doesn't place a huge emphasis on GCSE results doesn't mean that they don't have any bearing on an application - and, more generally, academic attainment is still probably the most important factor in whether or not you'll be offered a place.
thank you both :smile:

You're welcome. Don't be afraid to try. Wherever you end up, you deserve it and worked hard to get there
Original post by Reality Check
I'd be a little bit careful with this. Just because Cambridge doesn't place a huge emphasis on GCSE results doesn't mean that they don't have any bearing on an application - and, more generally, academic attainment is still probably the most important factor in whether or not you'll be offered a place.

Oh yeah I know! I just find it more appealing that they seem to be a little more accepting, even if it’s only small, and value other things a little more. I mean if my predicted grades end up being AAA, regardless of my extenuating circumstances I’d probably not apply as I know that my academic attainment wouldn’t be good enough, which is okay and simply just fact
Remember that you can always reapply with achieved grades. Can't see the harm in going for it - depending a bit on where else you want to apply. Philosophy is not a particularly heavily subscribed course at other universities so you are not hugely reducing the chances of getting a good place elsewhere
Oh yeah I know! I just find it more appealing that they seem to be a little more accepting, even if it’s only small, and value other things a little more. I mean if my predicted grades end up being AAA, regardless of my extenuating circumstances I’d probably not apply as I know that my academic attainment wouldn’t be good enough, which is okay and simply just fact

Plenty of people are accepted with contextual flags and AAA, so don't let that put you off. You have good enough results so far, and were you to get a good prediction, there is no reason why you shouldn't apply. My point was more of a general one, not specifically aimed at you :smile:
Original post by redmeercat
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs anywhere near as much as Oxford and other top unis (although they are still considered, just as a smaller part of the broad application). In addition, when you apply you get send the SAQ form where you have space to write anything that impacted your past results. Your grades are largely very good anyway, and are made even better in context. If you're predicted high enough A levels, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for Cambridge :smile:

thank you so much :smile:
Original post by ajj2000
Remember that you can always reapply with achieved grades. Can't see the harm in going for it - depending a bit on where else you want to apply. Philosophy is not a particularly heavily subscribed course at other universities so you are not hugely reducing the chances of getting a good place elsewhere

Thank you. Also philosophy not tending to be the most popular choice has crossed my mind, that does have it benefits!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending