The Student Room Group

postmodernism in media/sociology

is postmodernism the same in media and sociology
if not what is sociology in media
I'm really confused
Hi! I studied Sociology at A level. I am not entirely sure whether PostModernism as the same definition in media, but sociology in media is a module that your institution has decided to focus on, I'm assuming? ( I did Family and Crime,but did touch upon the media.)

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but here's what I have to say.
Each sociological theory has a viewpoint/approach to the media e.g Marxism will think it is reproducing ideological control and exploits of the proletariat by demonstrating power of the media (having control over what is said/filtered)

The post modernist view is that media creates a sense of identity. No one thing is true, e.g skinny is the ideal body standard because we saw it in the media. Instead they believe, skinny can be the ideal for one person, but is interpreted as being unhealthy to another. The media is only influential to those who consume it, think of the media as being "bubbles" for social groups. For example an elderly person will only have their views due to the limited media they consume e.g unbiased news on the TV (Or alternatively, many news outlets are Conservative.), whereas the youth have social media, tv, YouTube etc and are more likely to avoid newspapers (who are largely focused on one view e.g conservative papers like The Sun.) so in turn are more open in their views.

Again sorry if this didn't answer your question at all, but I am happy to explain more if this helped in any way?
Reply 2
Original post by MythicalFaith
Hi! I studied Sociology at A level. I am not entirely sure whether PostModernism as the same definition in media, but sociology in media is a module that your institution has decided to focus on, I'm assuming? ( I did Family and Crime,but did touch upon the media.)

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but here's what I have to say.
Each sociological theory has a viewpoint/approach to the media e.g Marxism will think it is reproducing ideological control and exploits of the proletariat by demonstrating power of the media (having control over what is said/filtered)

The post modernist view is that media creates a sense of identity. No one thing is true, e.g skinny is the ideal body standard because we saw it in the media. Instead they believe, skinny can be the ideal for one person, but is interpreted as being unhealthy to another. The media is only influential to those who consume it, think of the media as being "bubbles" for social groups. For example an elderly person will only have their views due to the limited media they consume e.g unbiased news on the TV (Or alternatively, many news outlets are Conservative.), whereas the youth have social media, tv, YouTube etc and are more likely to avoid newspapers (who are largely focused on one view e.g conservative papers like The Sun.) so in turn are more open in their views.

Again sorry if this didn't answer your question at all, but I am happy to explain more if this helped in any way?

I just take media and sociology
but thanks for explaining

Quick Reply

Latest