The Student Room Group

Sociology essay writing/improving grades

Does anyone have any useful tips to improve my A-level sociology essays and grades. I am roughly at a B and my end of year 12 mocks are coming and I need an A however one of my teachers marks quite harshly and I got a D in my most recent exam of hers whereas a B in the education paper. The D I got however was 5 marks off a B and I had written one question outside the time frame which caused me to lose a few marks but anything would help if anyone has any tips!
Reply 1
Make a short plan before each question, basically bullet points, very short.
Also look or ask your teacher to talk you through the structure again because that's where I used to lose most of my marks from.
It's much more simple to structure it, shorter but elaborate your point in a clearer way. Also, revise your sociologists! Trust me, I have my Alevels in 2 weeks, and REVISE YOUR SOCIOLOGISTS and their concepts, even if you roughly go over them on websites, or through booklets, textbooks, but make sure you mention key concepts and sociologists, also PEEL.
Examples, you can research for every topic contemporary examples that are easier to remember. In education, look on the news, there is a lot of examples there.
But mainly ask someone to help you with strucuture because that's where we all loose our marks..

Point- mainly what the question asked, just briefly mention what the paragraph will be about kind of.
Evidence- a sociologists, key terms/ key concepts and ideas, brings perspectives (functionalists/marxists/feminism/postmodernism/newright...)-mention their name if you remember.
Example-like I said either contemporary examples, statistics, the studies' statistics or findings that can be used as examples, again it depends on what question.
Link- always put something at the end to link it to the question, basically kind of repeating what the paragraph is about and how is it useful/how is it not, basically a statement piece.

That's how I've been trying to do mine, and if you structure your essays in more of a time-efficient manner, like knowing what comes after what you will have more time to finish all your questions and essays and hopefully improve your grades.
Hope it helped.
Reply 2
Original post by cris.tina.
Make a short plan before each question, basically bullet points, very short.
Also look or ask your teacher to talk you through the structure again because that's where I used to lose most of my marks from.
It's much more simple to structure it, shorter but elaborate your point in a clearer way. Also, revise your sociologists! Trust me, I have my Alevels in 2 weeks, and REVISE YOUR SOCIOLOGISTS and their concepts, even if you roughly go over them on websites, or through booklets, textbooks, but make sure you mention key concepts and sociologists, also PEEL.
Examples, you can research for every topic contemporary examples that are easier to remember. In education, look on the news, there is a lot of examples there.
But mainly ask someone to help you with strucuture because that's where we all loose our marks..

Point- mainly what the question asked, just briefly mention what the paragraph will be about kind of.
Evidence- a sociologists, key terms/ key concepts and ideas, brings perspectives (functionalists/marxists/feminism/postmodernism/newright...)-mention their name if you remember.
Example-like I said either contemporary examples, statistics, the studies' statistics or findings that can be used as examples, again it depends on what question.
Link- always put something at the end to link it to the question, basically kind of repeating what the paragraph is about and how is it useful/how is it not, basically a statement piece.

That's how I've been trying to do mine, and if you structure your essays in more of a time-efficient manner, like knowing what comes after what you will have more time to finish all your questions and essays and hopefully improve your grades.
Hope it helped.

Thank you! I think for my harsher marking teacher she also looks for examples of the sociologist I give which limits my marks. I know my sociologists and structure it quite well as my teacher often shows my work as an example however I think sometimes I rush and so planning as you said and following the plan is best. As in my recent mocks I was 6-7 marks off an A and I didn’t realise the evidence I used wasn’t really in the 15 year time frame as it was an ongoing thing so my teacher didn’t mark it and I lost 5 marks from that. What’s the best way you revise for sociology? I have flashcards made for 1 of the 2 papers we cover but due to the amount of work I receive I never had a chance to make revision materials for the other paper.
Reply 3
Original post by Hailey629
Thank you! I think for my harsher marking teacher she also looks for examples of the sociologist I give which limits my marks. I know my sociologists and structure it quite well as my teacher often shows my work as an example however I think sometimes I rush and so planning as you said and following the plan is best. As in my recent mocks I was 6-7 marks off an A and I didn’t realise the evidence I used wasn’t really in the 15 year time frame as it was an ongoing thing so my teacher didn’t mark it and I lost 5 marks from that. What’s the best way you revise for sociology? I have flashcards made for 1 of the 2 papers we cover but due to the amount of work I receive I never had a chance to make revision materials for the other paper.

watch revision yt videos, even as much as reading through text books or booklets, especially because exams are very soon.
For me personally revision cards don't help, but everyone has their own method.
do exam questions, or just read the marks schemes as it helps you see what you need to do in a question

Quick Reply

Latest