The Student Room Group

law

Hi,
I was just wondering is it worth studying at a non-Russell group university for LLB? I am mainly concerned over employability and whether law firms in London or outside even employ people who are not apart of the Oxbridge program for law or from other Russell group universities.
If anyone has some knowledge regarding this issue, your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi, I have applied to study law next year at a NON-RG uni although my predicted grades would get me into somewhere that is a member. I would say the most important thing is to look at as many Unis as you can and base the majority of your decision on how you feel there. Talk to staff members, talk to students, have a good look around.
There are some good Non-RG universities for law such as, Kent, Sussex, UEA etc.
It depends on what non-rg uni it is and what type of lawyer you want to be
Reply 3
from most of the people I've spoke to they really don't care if you haven't been to a RG uni or not it's more about you and your experience rather than the university you studied at
Reply 4
Hi,
Thanks for your advice, I am looking into applying for either city university, university of law or Greenwich university as I want to stay in London. However, I am more inclined to apply for a City university, as I have seen their reputation grow over the years.
If anyone knows if these universities are good, in terms of their teaching can you let me know?
Thanks.
Reply 5
Hi, with the Uni of Law. As someone pointed out on another thread, it is mainly post graduates completing law conversion courses. Could be something to consider.
Sussex has a good city reputation being a 9 min train ride from Brighton.
Kent uni is very close to Canterbury.
There are many other examples.
As an international student, I would recommend you to get into Oxbridge or RG universities. Some might argue that it is not important which university you are studying, but I personally believe that the ranking will affect your future. I read several articles in TSR related to solicitors or barristers. Firms and Chambers tend to hire more Oxbridge students and RG students. I am not saying that non-RG universities are bad. But I can tell you that being a lawyer or barrister is really competitive. IMO, the ranking of the universities meant something such as the teaching quality. Studying in a high-rank uni does not guarantee a good job but you get more chance during the application. Particularly, employers will be impressed that you have the capability of getting into some uni which is well-known for the low admission rate like Oxbridge. I am interested to work in the Commercial law field as a barrister but I could not help to notice that top chambers in London require applicants with a grade of first-class or very high second upper. Furthermore, you cannot practice as a lawyer in certain countries as they might not recognize your LLB. For instance, Singapore only recognized 10 law schools in the UK.
I would advise you to consider your future on where you would prefer to work and the impact of getting into a non-RG university. Sorry if my comment offends anyone who is reading this.
Reply 7
Original post by kingyii1997
As an international student, I would recommend you to get into Oxbridge or RG universities. Some might argue that it is not important which university you are studying, but I personally believe that the ranking will affect your future. I read several articles in TSR related to solicitors or barristers. Firms and Chambers tend to hire more Oxbridge students and RG students. I am not saying that non-RG universities are bad. But I can tell you that being a lawyer or barrister is really competitive. IMO, the ranking of the universities meant something such as the teaching quality. Studying in a high-rank uni does not guarantee a good job but you get more chance during the application. Particularly, employers will be impressed that you have the capability of getting into some uni which is well-known for the low admission rate like Oxbridge. I am interested to work in the Commercial law field as a barrister but I could not help to notice that top chambers in London require applicants with a grade of first-class or very high second upper. Furthermore, you cannot practice as a lawyer in certain countries as they might not recognize your LLB. For instance, Singapore only recognized 10 law schools in the UK.
I would advise you to consider your future on where you would prefer to work and the impact of getting into a non-RG university. Sorry if my comment offends anyone who is reading this.

This is really not true. Employers don't care if you went to a RG or not.
The thing about law being applicable in other countries I can't comment on as I don't know about law but a law degree is something you would do in the country you get the degree in really, from what I know they cannot be used in most other countries.
Original post by xoamnaxo.
Hi,
Thanks for your advice, I am looking into applying for either city university, university of law or Greenwich university as I want to stay in London. However, I am more inclined to apply for a City university, as I have seen their reputation grow over the years.
If anyone knows if these universities are good, in terms of their teaching can you let me know?
Thanks.

I would pick uni of law or city tbh. Idk about the teaching tho
Original post by renaamz
This is really not true. Employers don't care if you went to a RG or not.
The thing about law being applicable in other countries I can't comment on as I don't know about law but a law degree is something you would do in the country you get the degree in really, from what I know they cannot be used in most other countries.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/07/nearly-a-third-of-magic-circle-trainees-went-to-oxbridge/
https://www.cityam.com/almost-a-third-of-trainee-lawyers-at-elite-magic-circle-law-firms-educated-at-oxbridge/
I am not here to convince you about it as I believe everyone is subjective due to their background. However, I believe that low admission rate of Oxbridge send a message to everyone that 'we only want the best to study here'. Not to look down on other universities as I am studying in an RG university. The number of law student graduate every year is a lot.
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/entry-trends/
26,655 law students were accepted on 2017-2018 cohort. Furthermore, I was told that students have to apply for training contracts 2 years in advance and 1 year in advance for a pupillage.
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/07/nearly-a-third-of-magic-circle-trainees-went-to-oxbridge/
https://www.cityam.com/almost-a-third-of-trainee-lawyers-at-elite-magic-circle-law-firms-educated-at-oxbridge/
I am not here to convince you about it as I believe everyone is subjective due to their background. However, I believe that low admission rate of Oxbridge send a message to everyone that 'we only want the best to study here'. Not to look down on other universities as I am studying in an RG university. The number of law student graduate every year is a lot.
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/entry-trends/
26,655 law students were accepted on 2017-2018 cohort. Furthermore, I was told that students have to apply for training contracts 2 years in advance and 1 year in advance for a pupillage.

Personally I believe (may be wrong) that it is very likely that these numbers are due to the fact that RG universities have more applicants and so usually have more higher level applicants that are more adamant about their degree and so usually they will have a higher rate of higher grades and more people doing work experience etc.
I do believe places like Cambridge and Oxford for example will offer an advantage but everyone I've spoke to (many many people) have said that employers don't take into account where you got your degree.

A lot non RG universities have much better student satisfaction and I honestly believe that the effort you put in and things you do are what makes you more employable not whether you have been to a RG university or not, especially in the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by renaamz
Personally I believe (may be wrong) that it is very likely that these numbers are due to the fact that RG universities have more applicants and so usually have more higher level applicants that are more adamant about their degree and so usually they will have a higher rate of higher grades and more people doing work experience etc.
I do believe places like Cambridge and Oxford for example will offer an advantage but everyone I've spoke to (many many people) have said that employers don't take into account where you got your degree.

Yeah, I agreed with you that some employees might not care about it at all. What if 3 applicants graduated from Oxbridge, RG and non- RG university with first-class with similar achievements in sports. I believe the employer will favour the Oxbridge student more as the law courses were established a long time ago. The assessment of some universities might help the student to achieve a good result easily. As I had mentioned legal careers are always competitive, just assume that Ferrari reduces their price to Mercedez or BMZ. Are you still going to buy Mercedez or BMZ? Do not forget that international students are applying for the job position as well.
From my personal experience, the ranking means something. I used to study in a low ranking secondary school for a month before transferring to the top-ranking secondary school. I noticed that the high ranking school is stressful but the quality of education is excellent. Teachers are willing to spend more time to teach and explain the concepts. The school are willing to spend more resource on teaching. On the other hand, the low ranking school was lenient towards the student. I cannot deny that there are successful students graduated from there but the number is less. As you can see the high ranking schools willing to spend more resource to improve the quality of education.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah, I agreed with you that some employees might not care about it at all. What if 3 applicants graduated from Oxbridge, RG and non- RG university with first-class with similar achievements in sports. I believe the employer will favour the Oxbridge student more as the law courses were established a long time ago. The assessment of some universities might help the student to achieve a good result easily. As I had mentioned legal careers are always competitive, just assume that Ferrari reduces their price to Mercedez or BMZ. Are you still going to buy Mercedez or BMZ? Do not forget that international students are applying for the job position as well.

Oxbridge yes.
However I really don't believe they would favour a RG student over a non-RG.
When I said in the UK I meant IN then UK not British students.
I get what your saying and I do believe Oxbridge students would be favoured but between RG and non-RG there is no reason the employer would favour a RG.
Original post by renaamz

It's not so much that RG unis have more applicants it is the fact that people who make it into a RG uni normally have good A level grades (A/B) and a lot of law firms have minimum A level requirements
Original post by harrysbar
It's not so much that RG unis have more applicants it is the fact that people who make it into a RG uni normally have good A level grades (A/B) and a lot of law firms have minimum A level requirements

That's what I mean, sorry I probably wasn't clear. I mean they will have more higher achieving students
(edited 3 years ago)

I agree with kingyii1997 that the uni's ranking does matter. Academic standards vary and employers know this. Obviously other factors are taken into consideration such as work experience, A-level grades etc, but academic ability is a very important consideration. So a high ranking uni on your CV will give you a better chance in the job application process.

I don't entirely agree with the comments regarding the quality of teaching. Some of the unis with lower academic standards have excellent teaching and offer lots of support for their students. Managing seminar groups of 20 students with a wide range of academic ability requires excellent teaching but that doesn't necessarily mean that all students will be capable of working to the same highest standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending