The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get an apprenticeship?

I’ll be looking For an apprenticeship this year after college. I’m looking for accountancy or payroll. I live in Wales. Is it hard to get an apprenticeship? And how long did you wait till you got an apprenticeship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if you tried to get an apprenticeship in a completely different field I would still like to know the process
I tried applying for an accountancy apprenticeship and degree apprenticeship. It consisted of a situation-based assessment, numerical assessment, psychometric test, digital video interview and then an assessment centre

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by AM_TSR
I tried applying for an accountancy apprenticeship and degree apprenticeship. It consisted of a situation-based assessment, numerical assessment, psychometric test, digital video interview and then an assessment centre

Spoiler

Damn, that’s a long process and harsh reality. Ugh I feel like it’s too late for uni now
Original post by Jones448
Damn, that’s a long process and harsh reality. Ugh I feel like it’s too late for uni now

Yeah but it is what it is. Why do you think it's too late for uni? Have you already submitted your UCAS?
Reply 5
Original post by AM_TSR
Yeah but it is what it is. Why do you think it's too late for uni? Have you already submitted your UCAS?

Well one, I never really liked college but I stuck through it so it’ll suck to have to go in that route. And yeah I had it all set up in college but I was adamant I was going for an apprenticeship so I didn’t really submit anything. You said situation based assessment? What was that like?
Well one, I never really liked college but I stuck through it so it’ll suck to have to go in that route. And yeah I had it all set up in college but I was adamant I was going for an apprenticeship so I didn’t really submit anything. You said situation based assessment? What was that like?

That's fair enough. The situation-based assessment was relatively straight forward. It's a POV task where you're given a variety of scenarios and there are multiple choice answers for your way of dealing with each situation. It's just a way to gauge for you character to see if you'd fit in with the company.
Reply 7
Original post by AM_TSR
That's fair enough. The situation-based assessment was relatively straight forward. It's a POV task where you're given a variety of scenarios and there are multiple choice answers for your way of dealing with each situation. It's just a way to gauge for you character to see if you'd fit in with the company.

Fair enough. Before I went to college I was looking for an apprenticeship. But I felt like time was running out and I went to college anyway. I done some tests similar to that in a college-based place that deal with apprenticeships
Fair enough. Before I went to college I was looking for an apprenticeship. But I felt like time was running out and I went to college anyway. I done some tests similar to that in a college-based place that deal with apprenticeships

That's sound then. It's pretty easy anyway tbf, I just completed mine during one of my study periods since it takes less than an hour
Reply 9
Original post by AM_TSR
That's sound then. It's pretty easy anyway tbf, I just completed mine during one of my study periods since it takes less than an hour

Thank you. That’s cleared some stuff up for me
Thank you. That’s cleared some stuff up for me

No problem, best of luck! :smile:
Which part of Wales and what are your grades like (plus subjects)?
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Which part of Wales and what are your grades like (plus subjects)?

What do you mean plus subjects?
What do you mean plus subjects?

Which subjects are you studying- and what grades?
Reply 14
Original post by ajj2000
Which subjects are you studying- and what grades?

Well I have all of my GCSEs. But only got Cs in English and maths. And I’m currently studying Level 3 Diploma in business. And hoping to achieve that before an apprenticeship
I’ll be looking For an apprenticeship this year after college. I’m looking for accountancy or payroll. I live in Wales. Is it hard to get an apprenticeship? And how long did you wait till you got an apprenticeship?

Try and go for one of the Big 4.
Reply 16
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Try and go for one of the Big 4.

Which are?
Which are?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_accounting_firms

Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG, and PricewaterhouseCoopers.

P.S. - Try and go for accountancy. Payroll just seems like it's waiting to be automated.
Reply 18
Original post by Gundabad(good)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_accounting_firms

Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG, and PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Thanks 😊
Well I have all of my GCSEs. But only got Cs in English and maths. And I’m currently studying Level 3 Diploma in business. And hoping to achieve that before an apprenticeship

Ah, cool. Some accounting appenticeships start recruitment in around the Sept/ Oct before starting somewhat similar to university applications. Others tend to recruit when they want a staff member. Have you tried to reed.co.uk and gaapweb search sites? You could search for 'accounts assistant', 'trainee accountant', 'accounts apprenticeship', 'accounts apprentice' etc. I would also find government websites for apprenticeships and any local colleges which are used to provide training for apprentices at AAT.

Also look at https://careerswales.gov.wales/apprenticeships/employers-who-offer-apprenticeships

@swanseajack1 - any idea of other sites for Wales? From recollection the Welsh government had one for government jobs.

Also keep an eye open for any entry level jobs in payroll, purchase ledger (also referred to as accounts payable) or credit control (accounts receivable).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending