The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCL
The following is from an FOI response https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a106_and_a104_interview_scores#incoming-1733969

It looks like a robust, but time consuming, process.

Interview scores are calculated by adding up the individual scores from domains assessed by each interviewer. Within each MMI station interviewers score candidates using a Likert scale-based system (Poor, Borderline, Satisfactory, Good, Excellent). Individual domain scores are translated into numbers and summed across stations to yield a total score for each candidate.

Candidates are then ranked in order of their total score. A score of 76% was sufficient to be considered for offer making for the main cohort of Home/EU applicants in 2020. Please note that consideration does not mean that the applicant will be made an offer (the offer making process is not entirely based on the total score achieved). There is an element of academic judgement involved.

We seek feedback from interviewers and we also look at the profile of scores across interview stations for each candidate. In some cases, interviewers may be asked to discuss a candidate in more detail after the interview.

The examples below should help to explain some of the possible outcomes:

Applicant A: Scores 95%, no concerns raised, no low scores in any station. This applicant would normally receive an offer without further need to review their performance at interview.

Applicant B: Scores a total of 78%, no concerns raised, the profile of scores is even across all stations. This applicant would normally receive an offer.

Applicant C: Scores a total of 80% overall with very high scores in some stations, however, there are profound deficiencies in others. A concern was raised by an interviewer about applicant performance. This applicant will not receive an offer.

Applicant D: Scores 50% overall with major deficiencies in all stations. This applicant will not receive an offer.

we will not normally make offers to applicants who score very low in an MMI station or where interviewers have identified significant concerns about the behaviour of a candidate, even if their total score is above the threshold for consideration.

Thanks for sharing, that’s really useful.
Original post by TCL
The following is from an FOI response https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a106_and_a104_interview_scores#incoming-1733969

Interview scores are calculated by adding up the individual scores from domains assessed by each interviewer. Within each MMI station interviewers score candidates using a Likert scale-based system (Poor, Borderline, Satisfactory, Good, Excellent). Individual domain scores are translated into numbers and summed across stations to yield a total score for each candidate.

Candidates are then ranked in order of their total score. A score of 76% was sufficient to be considered for offer making for the main cohort of Home/EU applicants in 2020. Please note that consideration does not mean that the applicant will be made an offer (the offer making process is not entirely based on the total score achieved). There is an element of academic judgement involved.

We seek feedback from interviewers and we also look at the profile of scores across interview stations for each candidate. In some cases, interviewers may be asked to discuss a candidate in more detail after the interview.

Applicant A: Scores 95%, no concerns raised, no low scores in any station. This applicant would normally receive an offer without further need to review their performance at interview.

Applicant B: Scores a total of 78%, no concerns raised, the profile of scores is even across all stations. This applicant would normally receive an offer.

Applicant C: Scores a total of 80% overall with very high scores in some stations, however, there are profound deficiencies in others. A concern was raised by an interviewer about applicant performance. This applicant will not receive an offer.

Applicant D: Scores 50% overall with major deficiencies in all stations. This applicant will not receive an offer.

we will not normally make offers to applicants who score very low in an MMI station or where interviewers have identified significant concerns about the behaviour of a candidate, even if their total score is above the threshold for consideration.

wow, thanks
I emailed asking if interviews would be sent out in batches or all at once and this was the reply. Doesn’t help really at all so not sure if they tell us.

6C8873A5-ADB3-44A0-B7A6-546D1FD4D92C.jpg
Original post by 117Rose117
I emailed asking if interviews would be sent out in batches or all at once and this was the reply. Doesn’t help really at all so not sure if they tell us.

6C8873A5-ADB3-44A0-B7A6-546D1FD4D92C.jpg

They followed up with another email saying that they r unsure if they will be sending in batches or not this year. So they don’t know themselves either :smile:

EEAB5A86-A61D-4DB0-BD4C-1A1A8B8F1B23.jpg
Original post by TCL

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Have a nice day!:colondollar:
any chance of offeres today?
Reply 1786
Original post by TheUser220
any chance of offeres today?

No there will not be any offers until after they finish interviewing (10th )and then it’s gonna take them a while to look at all the data
Original post by ng11
No there will not be any offers until after they finish interviewing (10th )and then it’s gonna take them a while to look at all the data

damn in my breifing they said late feb to early march
Reply 1788

Same here, and they would’ve known the dates they’re interviewing so it’s strange
Reply 1789

I had the same but maybe they changed their minds
Original post by ng11
I had the same but maybe they changed their minds

I did mine in December and they told us we wouldn’t hear back until March after all the interviews were over so it would be a long wait :/
Original post by TCL

From looking through their data, if you did badly on one station and well otherwise there is a chance that they will still reject you. Maybe when something is 'poor' then it's an automatic reject?
Reply 1792
Original post by vitaminC&D
From looking through their data, if you did badly on one station and well otherwise there is a chance that they will still reject you. Maybe when something is 'poor' then it's an automatic reject?

It think it would have to be something more worrying than missing the point of the station sort of thing. I was told in the briefing that messing up/being poor in one station doesn’t mean you’ll be rejected
Reply 1793
Original post by vitaminC&D

It looked to me like you needed to perform poorly in more than 1 to be rejected if you had a high score overall. There was 1 person with 91 which said "Reject" but they don't have any "withdrawn" and there are always some who withdraw when they have offers from their top 2, and it does not see likely that people would have 1 dreadful and the rest brilliant. There were quite a few with scores over 76 who were rejected, but that could be distorted by internationals who may have had a higher cut off. Only 24 people with a score over 80 were rejected.

Sheffield will not make an offer if you score 1 or 2 (out of 5) at a single station.
I did my interview on the 3rd (3 days ago) and they said they know they would usually be sending out interviews by late feb/early March, but obviously they've had to push interview dates further into March due to people who had issues with technology and needed more time. As a result the outcomes will be late, but the admissions officer there (during the briefing) was begging for people to not email the uni bc they would love to send the offers out as soon as possible but its currently out of their hands. So yeah, just 4 more days until its the last interview date, and hopefully a week or so after that we'll all be hearing back! stay patient and hopeful for now :smile:
Just got put on reserve list by Sheffield. It's looking like Manchester is my final option. This wait is agonizing :frown:
Reply 1796
Original post by pranav2981
Just got put on reserve list by Sheffield. It's looking like Manchester is my final option. This wait is agonizing :frown:

In 2019 everybody on the Sheffield reserve list who did not get another offer by results day was given a Sheffield offer. It depends on who accepts offers and what happens with grades, but lots of reserve list people do get through. :crossedf:
Original post by pranav2981

Bro I'm in the exact same position just got put on reserve list and Manchester is my final place as well. Messed up one of the stations for manchester as well. Looks like gap year incoming :////
@adusd When did you hear back after your interview?
Original post by AlishAsh
@adusd When did you hear back after your interview?

I got put on reserve list for Sheffield not Manchester. But like an hour agp

Latest

Trending

Trending