The Student Room Group

Black box

Hi I am currently learning to drive and have a black box in my Citroen c1. Is anyone else having trouble with there battery as I use mine for a few days then after 5 days of not driving it the battery goes flat and have to charge it. My black box is on top of by battery. Is anyone else having the same problem??

Scroll to see replies

Possibly been wired to the wrong battery terminal by a slack jawed oaf so that it constantly draws power.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Possibly been wired to the wrong battery terminal by a slack jawed oaf so that it constantly draws power.

That's actually how quite a lot of black boxes are supposed to be installed, according to the insurers.
Original post by IWMTom
That's actually how quite a lot of black boxes are supposed to be installed, according to the insurers.

Well they would say that, it's not their battery, does it specify the oaf or amount of fly catching required? :tongue:
Reply 4
Well they would say that, it's not their battery, does it specify the oaf or amount of fly catching required? :tongue:

Hahahahaha. My understanding is it's so people can't just disconnect the unit and say "oh guess my battery voltage dropped too low?"
Original post by IWMTom
Hahahahaha. My understanding is it's so people can't just disconnect the unit and say "oh guess my battery voltage dropped too low?"

Fannies, If you're going to lie, lie big. Empty the box of electronics, add a live scorpion, THEN call them.
Reply 6

Thanks you haven't fault of that. I am with Tesco black box. I will get back to them.
I have a black box with hastings smartmiles and mines exactly the same, car started fine before i got my box installed then i noticed i wouldn't drive it for 2 days and it would just click and be fully dead so have to battery charge it and purposely go out my way to drive 20 miles just to fill it up on the 50-60mph roads but its hella annoying, i'm switching to ticker which is a wireless box that doesn't connect to car battery.
Reply 8
Original post by Nick6501
I have a black box with hastings smartmiles and mines exactly the same, car started fine before i got my box installed then i noticed i wouldn't drive it for 2 days and it would just click and be fully dead so have to battery charge it and purposely go out my way to drive 20 miles just to fill it up on the 50-60mph roads but its hella annoying, i'm switching to ticker which is a wireless box that doesn't connect to car battery.

Yeah same. Here. My battery is directly on top of my battery. And is wired directly in my battery. So think that is the reason why. Please do let us now how the ticker box goes as might be an idea for me. As before I got the box my car was running fine. Thanks I might look into the ticker insurance.
Original post by Charley!
Yeah same. Here. My battery is directly on top of my battery. And is wired directly in my battery. So think that is the reason why. Please do let us now how the ticker box goes as might be an idea for me. As before I got the box my car was running fine. Thanks I might look into the ticker insurance.

Yeah, i have even battery charged it for 8 hours then drove it on motorway for 40 mins so its fully charged then got home and left it 2 days to try it and it was dead lol, cancelled my policy with them and they turned the box off so i repeated what i did above and charged it and then left it and a week later car started on first click so i know for a fact its the black box, i'm concerned a little with tricker now as i just discovered this :

While you're insured with Ticker:
-Have your phone in the vehicle when you drive
-Make sure your phone stays paired with your box - after the first time you -pair, it'll connect automatically
-Keep your Bluetooth, location services and mobile data on (but don't worry, -it's a tiny dent in your data plan)
-Stay logged in to the Ticker app

Seems i would have to go out and buy unlimited data and what happens if your mobile data drops connection while driving? seems risky compared to just a plug into battery box that you just leave.
Original post by IWMTom

It shouldn't be using the battery unless the ignition is on really. There's no need for it to be running until that point, unless you like to push you car instead of driving it.
I’ve got a smart miles black box and literally had no issues yet (touch wood). I’ve left it for days and it hasn’t caused any problems. I also have a dash cam that is on and doesn’t drain my battery.

It could be that you’ve put it in wrong, got a dodgy black box or the fact that your battery is just old and not as efficient
Original post by Christian12
I’ve got a smart miles black box and literally had no issues yet (touch wood). I’ve left it for days and it hasn’t caused any problems. I also have a dash cam that is on and doesn’t drain my battery.

It could be that you’ve put it in wrong, got a dodgy black box or the fact that your battery is just old and not as efficient

Someone who installs black boxes everyday for companies like smartmiles fitted mine and they even sent two people out at different times to check the box and said its fitted perfect, cant exactly see how its the battery if it starts fine before the box then its installed and dies a lot quicker then once removed the car can sit a week and start perfect, personally think i just got a **** box from them.
Reply 13
Original post by Nick6501
Yeah, i have even battery charged it for 8 hours then drove it on motorway for 40 mins so its fully charged then got home and left it 2 days to try it and it was dead lol, cancelled my policy with them and they turned the box off so i repeated what i did above and charged it and then left it and a week later car started on first click so i know for a fact its the black box, i'm concerned a little with tricker now as i just discovered this :

While you're insured with Ticker:
-Have your phone in the vehicle when you drive
-Make sure your phone stays paired with your box - after the first time you -pair, it'll connect automatically
-Keep your Bluetooth, location services and mobile data on (but don't worry, -it's a tiny dent in your data plan)
-Stay logged in to the Ticker app

Seems i would have to go out and buy unlimited data and what happens if your mobile data drops connection while driving? seems risky compared to just a plug into battery box that you just leave.

Yeah I just had look and saw that too.
Can anyone else see there black boxing as your not actually ment to see them. ??? Because mine is directly on top of my battery and i can clearly see mine
Reply 14
Original post by davidthomasjnr
It shouldn't be using the battery unless the ignition is on really. There's no need for it to be running until that point, unless you like to push you car instead of driving it.

It also acts as a tracking device.
Reply 15
Your insurance company shouldn't need to track you when you're not driving though, right?

Why not? Wouldn't you want to know where your car is if it's stolen?
Original post by IWMTom
Why not? Wouldn't you want to know where your car is if it's stolen?

Your insurance company shouldn't need to track you when you're not driving though. It's possible that if someone steals your car, they could use the box to track the thief. However, since the box can run your battery dead, if someone steals your car during that time, they probably can't track it anymore anyway. So, it would make more sense if the box only turned on when the ignition is on. This is on the basis that the thief doesn't drive the car and simply tow/ use a pick-up truck to take it; since this is fairly unlikely, and your car's battery will die if the box stays permanently on, there isn't really much tracking power even if a thief wants to steal your car (properly). At least if the battery isn't run down by the box, and the thief hot-wires your car, the box would turn on and they could track it during that time before they take it off, or the box reports the car being stolen/ tampered with.
Reply 17
Your insurance company shouldn't need to track you when you're not driving though. It's possible that if someone steals your car, they could use the box to track the thief. However, since the box can run your battery dead, if someone steals your car during that time, they probably can't track it anymore anyway. So, it would make more sense if the box only turned on when the ignition is on. This is on the basis that the thief doesn't drive the car and simply tow/ use a pick-up truck to take it; since this is fairly unlikely, and your car's battery will die if the box stays permanently on, there isn't really much tracking power even if a thief wants to steal your car (properly). At least if the battery isn't run down by the box, and the thief hot-wires your car, the box would turn on and they could track it during that time before they take it off, or the box reports the car being stolen/ tampered with.

It also acts as crash detection whilst parked.
Original post by Charley!
Yeah I just had look and saw that too.
Can anyone else see there black boxing as your not actually ment to see them. ??? Because mine is directly on top of my battery and i can clearly see mine

The guy who fitted mine took half my car to bits...took glovebox out and some other panels and drilled through something and attached it to the battery but you cant actually see it looking from the front of the car you'd have to take the glovebox off lol.
Original post by IWMTom
It also acts as crash detection whilst parked.

If it's wired correctly (e.g like a dashcam) and has a standard low-power surveillance mode, it should turn on during a collision even if the motor is off, and be able to sense it...but it should not use up your car battery over 2 days for that. That's not normal for a black box. It's either been wired/ installed incorrectly or the box does not have a low-power mode to ping the location of the vehicle (during either a collision or for general location monitoring), which means it's not very good either way.

Again, if the car has no battery, the box won't work. It's a big problem if it's draining the whole car battery in two days.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending