The Student Room Group

UK Civil Services goes Rogue

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neilos
Even more so if you leave the 'sacked tomorrow' bit on, assuming there'll be some proof of his 'extra trips' coming soon...

We can only hope.
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
Nope its sackable gross misconduct offence.
Likely to fall under some law as well because its a government website.
Important because it undermines the neutrality of the civil service.
Criminal hacking , state or otherwise because we know thats a method of espionage these days.

Indeed it is, although its likely they were leaving anyway if they sent that. With that being said i'm still dubious it could conceivably rise to the level of police action - especially given the truthfulness of the matter.

Fair point on the possibility of it being a hacker though. Although i maintain the point that dealing with it internally would likely be easier.
Original post by Neilos
Even more so if you leave the 'sacked tomorrow' bit on, assuming there'll be some proof of his 'extra trips' coming soon...

It is with the police now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-reported-police-ex-22079346
Original post by Napp
Indeed it is, although its likely they were leaving anyway if they sent that. With that being said i'm still dubious it could conceivably rise to the level of police action - especially given the truthfulness of the matter.

Fair point on the possibility of it being a hacker though. Although i maintain the point that dealing with it internally would likely be easier.

More to the point, was it actually tweeted in the first place? Not exactly hard to go over on inspect element, cook something up and act like it's a now-deleted tweet.

I mean, didn't McDonald's have a fake tweet going around not too long ago about opening up?
Original post by TheMcSame
More to the point, was it actually tweeted in the first place? Not exactly hard to go over on inspect element, cook something up and act like it's a now-deleted tweet.

I mean, didn't McDonald's have a fake tweet going around not too long ago about opening up?

It was real, I saw it and screenshot it.

However this further tweet confirms it.

https://twitter.com/cabinetofficeuk/status/1264613950790008835
It was a genuine tweet - however it has since been deleted.

Cummings is not a friend of the civil service, either: he regards many of the top civil servants as being part of the political elite.

And let's not forget his civil service shakeup plans.

But yes, I agree with a previous comment in that the Civil Service should not be doing stuff like this, given that after all is said and done, the Civil Service is the engine of Whitehall and is supposed to serve the government of the day without getting political.
Original post by Plaguedbyfoibles
It was a genuine tweet - however it has since been deleted.

Cummings is not a friend of the civil service, either: he regards many of the top civil servants as being part of the political elite.

And let's not forget his civil service shakeup plans.

But yes, I agree with a previous comment in that the Civil Service should not be doing stuff like this, given that after all is said and done, the Civil Service is the engine of Whitehall and is supposed to serve the government of the day without getting political.

Damn right they shouldn’t, the guys going to get sacked when they find out who it was 🥳
Reply 27
Original post by DiddyDec
It is the most honest statement to come out of Government for as long as I have been alive.

Its not come from the Government. Its come from the Civil Ssrvice.
Original post by Quady
Its not come from the Government. Its come from the Civil Ssrvice.

The civil service are Government.
Reply 29
It's one way of resigning, I suppose.

I'm surprised there's not more of a push for two-person approval of tweets by high-profile organisations. I suppose particularly with the Government it's already enough of a hassle getting things approved to go out without adding an extra bit of complexity. The end result is stuff like this, and the people who think they're tweeting from a personal account and say something stupid on their work account.
Original post by DiddyDec
The civil service are Government.

No, the Civil Service are there to serve Government.
Reply 31
Posted from iPhone so my suspicion is that it's someone posting that on their commute home after a **** day
Original post by Sinnoh
Posted from iPhone so my suspicion is that it's someone posting that on their commute home after a **** day

I thought most civil servants were working from home at the moment.

I don't think the maintainer of a social media account needs to commute haha.
Reply 33
Original post by Plaguedbyfoibles
I thought most civil servants were working from home at the moment.

I don't think the maintainer of a social media account needs to commute haha.

Excellent point lol. oops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending