The Student Room Group

Where to do my GDL- does it matter?

Hi,

OK so I have finally made the decision to apply for a GDL but not sure which uni I should choose and was wondering if it will matter later on when I will be applying for jobs? I am not the richest of people and no longer eligible for postgraduate funding (used it all up to do my LLM in Human Rights Law - didn't know back then that I would be interested in actually practising law in the future otherwise would've just gone for GDL right away) and do not want to spend such huge amount of money on a degree that might not be appealing to employers?

I am currently deciding between Westminster Uni, BPP and UoL and any personal experience/guidance/advice etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Doesn't really matter, I'd go for the cheapest.
Agree with the above - just need the qualification and no one will care afterwards
Original post by Sabi08
Hi,

OK so I have finally made the decision to apply for a GDL but not sure which uni I should choose and was wondering if it will matter later on when I will be applying for jobs? I am not the richest of people and no longer eligible for postgraduate funding (used it all up to do my LLM in Human Rights Law - didn't know back then that I would be interested in actually practising law in the future otherwise would've just gone for GDL right away) and do not want to spend such huge amount of money on a degree that might not be appealing to employers?

I am currently deciding between Westminster Uni, BPP and UoL and any personal experience/guidance/advice etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

I agree with responses above in that it does not matter to employers where you study the GDL in the same way that it might for where you study your undergraduate degree. The course is primarily practical, and focusses on getting you up to speed in order to progress onto the LPC or BPC as soon as possible.

I can speak from experience of having studied the GDL at ULaw. I studied here because I secured a TC just before starting, and the firm specified ULaw as provider for my GDL and LPC, and this is the case for a lot of people. BPP and ULaw are the two biggest and most popular providers because the bigger city firms send their incoming trainees to study at one or the other.

I think ultimately you should choose a provider based on which course suits you better, whether that is in terms of location, course structure/assessment style, or fees.

Please feel free to send any questions about the GDL at ULaw my way :smile:

Jess
Student Ambassador at ULaw (Leeds campus)
Reply 4
I would say arguably the best thing you can do is apply for a scheme that will fund you for the GDL and solicitor training/bar training. Face it, if you can’t get someone to take you on for a job as you are, how much are your chances going to improve after doing a GDL? You avoid the financial risk this way.
Not saying it’s the only way but it is a logical decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending