The Student Room Group

choosing alevel subjects

I am going to year 12 after this summer. I am going to take physics maths and further maths. have to decide on another subject. don't want to take computing ..can't decide between chemistry and design & technology..pls can anyone help or share there experience or advice what would be better for me. thank you
Reply 1
Original post by intelligent1234
I am going to year 12 after this summer. I am going to take physics maths and further maths. have to decide on another subject. don't want to take computing ..can't decide between chemistry and design & technology..pls can anyone help or share there experience or advice what would be better for me. thank you

Which subject do you truly enjoy, and what are your talents?
I think what you've already chosen sounds like a lot of hard work, and if you enjoy D&T, those lessons and the work to go with them will provide some light relief in what is already an incredibly academic set of subjects. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do at uni at all?
Original post by Op1busy
Which subject do you truly enjoy, and what are your talents?

i am comfortable in maths and enjoy physics. i really enjoy both of these subjects
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I think what you've already chosen sounds like a lot of hard work, and if you enjoy D&T, those lessons and the work to go with them will provide some light relief in what is already an incredibly academic set of subjects. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do at uni at all?

at uni i am thinking of engineering and degrees revolving around this.
i am comfortable in maths and enjoy physics. i really enjoy both of these subjects

i was working at 8 in maths physics and chemistry and 9 in dt
What do you like about chemistry and what do you not like? What do you like and dislike about DT? What are you leaning more towards?
Original post by PetitePanda
What do you like about chemistry and what do you not like? What do you like and dislike about DT? What are you leaning more towards?

I am leaning more towards dt because 2 science subjects would be a lot of hard work and as I want to take further maths chemistry could just make it harder. dt on the other hand I am thinking would be a lighter subject having less theory and memorizing stuff. but still, I want to choose the subject that is best for me. I am just a bit scared that chemistry would be very hard in A-levels and that is why I just ..want to know experience from people who took similar subjects
I am leaning more towards dt because 2 science subjects would be a lot of hard work and as I want to take further maths chemistry could just make it harder. dt on the other hand I am thinking would be a lighter subject having less theory and memorizing stuff. but still, I want to choose the subject that is best for me. I am just a bit scared that chemistry would be very hard in A-levels and that is why I just ..want to know experience from people who took similar subjects

DT is a lot of work. The theory isnt a lot heavier but you still need all the knowledge from GCSE (which is a lot of content) but it isn't a lighter subject at all in my opinion as the coursework is very time-consuming. Not really another 4 A level would make it harder, not chemistry. Some find chemistry harder while some find it easier so it's all relative. What is best for you is to choose the one you enjoy and try it out instead of falling for rumours or assumptions; you can always switch it later. You seem to want to do chemistry more but worried about the workload tbh

i was working at 8 in chemistry so i know i will be able to do it. but I don't want to go in chemistry as my career in the future. but i want to know whether 2 science subjects are important at entry level for unis
i was working at 8 in chemistry so i know i will be able to do it. but I don't want to go in chemistry as my career in the future. but i want to know whether 2 science subjects are important at entry level for unis

You dont need to go into chemistry. I do the completely different subjects to what I want to do at uni because I enjoy my A levels and it meets my course's subject requirements. You dont need 2 science subject but its good to have 2 science subject if you are thinking of a STEM subject as it opens more options but if you know what you want to do and it doesnt need it, then its not important as long as you have the required subjects (e.g. engineering)
ok thankyou so much

Quick Reply

Latest