The Student Room Group

I have no internet connection

We got a new router a few weeks ago because the old one wasn't working. Yesterday there was no connection for an hour or so in the afternoon then there was connection again until Today in the afternoon the connection dropped and hasn't come back on. All cables are in properly and everything so I don't know what it is. I have so much coursework to do but can't do any research without Internet. What can I do? (Using mobile data atm which is too expensive and uses data too quick I can rarely use it)
Original post by Anonymusy
We got a new router a few weeks ago because the old one wasn't working. Yesterday there was no connection for an hour or so in the afternoon then there was connection again until Today in the afternoon the connection dropped and hasn't come back on. All cables are in properly and everything so I don't know what it is. I have so much coursework to do but can't do any research without Internet. What can I do? (Using mobile data atm which is too expensive and uses data too quick I can rarely use it)

Contact your ISP. Failing that, if you are the account holder then please PM me, and I'll contact them in writing on your behalf.
Reply 2

If you have a DSL connection (i.e. over a standard phone line), check to make sure you've got a dial tone.

If there's no dial tone (or if there's lots of crackling) contact the company that supplies the voice service (e.g. BT) and report a fault.

I had a fault on my line a year or two ago -- which I noticed because the broadband was really slow. When I checked the phone line there was no dial tone. I reported a fault, and BT fixed it. It sounds like an engineer had been working on someone else's phone line in the roadside box, and had dislodge one of the cables on my phoneline. I know it sounds bizarre, but I was still getting slow broadband even with a disconnected cable!

If there is a normal dial tone, then contact your internet provider.

How are you on here then?
Reply 4
Try re-booting your router (simply turn it off then on again, if there is no power switch just pull the power connector out and wait a few seconds then plug back in again)
Original post by martin7
If you have a DSL connection (i.e. over a standard phone line), check to make sure you've got a dial tone.

If there's no dial tone (or if there's lots of crackling) contact the company that supplies the voice service (e.g. BT) and report a fault.

I had a fault on my line a year or two ago -- which I noticed because the broadband was really slow. When I checked the phone line there was no dial tone. I reported a fault, and BT fixed it. It sounds like an engineer had been working on someone else's phone line in the roadside box, and had dislodge one of the cables on my phoneline. I know it sounds bizarre, but I was still getting slow broadband even with a disconnected cable!

If there is a normal dial tone, then contact your internet provider.

Good idea, but I would also add that the OP should check for line noise. If possible dial 17070 and run a quiet line test. If not possible, just pick up the phone and wait for it to go quiet. When performing this test, listen attentively for any noise beyond merely a faint hissing sound which is classed as being perfectly normal.

If you do hear anything abnormal report it at once to the phone service provider who provides you with your phone service. Preferably do so using your landline phone, this allows the support person to hear the noise for themselves. Be prepared for them to run a test on the line. If you are not the account holder tell them to do so, or get their permission and "pretend" to be them.
Original post by Anonymous
How are you on here then?

By using mobile broadband no doubt.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending