The Student Room Group

Can I get into top law firms with average grades from sixth form?

I am a BTEC Applied science student that is going to be studying law at Reading university. I am predicted to get DDM-DDD in my BTEC and have not got a great GCSE background. I was wondering if I would be able to work in a top law firm in the future if I got a high grade for example a First or high 2:1 in my degree and a high mark in my LPC?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ejz17
I am a BTEC Applied science student that is going to be studying law at Reading university. I am predicted to get DDM-DDD in my BTEC and have not got a great GCSE background. I was wondering if I would be able to work in a top law firm in the future if I got a high grade for example a First or high 2:1 in my degree and a high mark in my LPC?

possibly. but competition is strong.
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
possibly. but competition is strong.

Yh I was also wondering if I coupled high results in uni and LPC with a large involvment with extra curriculars would this such as societies and also work experience would this improve my chances in getting in at a top law firm?
Reply 3
Original post by ejz17
Yh I was also wondering if I coupled high results in uni and LPC with a large involvment with extra curriculars would this such as societies and also work experience would this improve my chances in getting in at a top law firm?

it definitely would not hurt, and would make your personal statement and your cv more interesting!
Reply 4
Original post by mgi
it definitely would not hurt, and would make your personal statement and your cv more interesting!

Also I wanted to ask if doing Law at Uni of Reading effect my chances of getting a job or is La at Uni of Reading not that great?
I might not focus on that too much. Maybe focus on what you can do at Reading to get the marks that you want. If you struggled at GCSE or school in general, you'll have to think about how to overcome that.
Original post by ejz17

Depends. Generally your GCSE should have far less relevance.
BTEC might be ok, just check.
Depends what you mean by a top law firm as Reading isnt an elite law school.
Reply 7
Original post by ejz17
Also I wanted to ask if doing Law at Uni of Reading effect my chances of getting a job or is La at Uni of Reading not that great?

Reading uni is ok. It's reputation is good.
https://archive.reading.ac.uk/staff-news/spsn-742034.html
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Depends. Generally your GCSE should have far less relevance.
BTEC might be ok, just check.
Depends what you mean by a top law firm as Reading isnt an elite law school.

I mean would I be able to get into a top law firm with a degree in Law from Uni of reading?
Original post by ejz17
I mean would I be able to get into a top law firm with a degree in Law from Uni of reading?

Depends what you mean by top. Why not ask Reading where their grads go?
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what you mean by top. Why not ask Reading where their grads go?

For example London firms or Naional firms.
Original post by ejz17

there are a lot of London firms and a lot of national firms. Basically get the best degree you can and then apply. You will find your level. The market could be a lot different in 2 years. We are about to go through a massive recession.
In the same boat , I thought A levels are what are most relevant tho and after graduating etc jus the graduation would be relevant ?
Reply 13
Original post by Jesscruzx
In the same boat , I thought A levels are what are most relevant tho and after graduating etc jus the graduation would be relevant ?

Nah im pretty sure they are both relevent. This is a link that shows the academic for some of the top firms:
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria
Reply 14
Original post by mgi
Reading uni is ok. It's reputation is good.
https://archive.reading.ac.uk/staff-news/spsn-742034.html

Better unis for example cardiff and york said I would be able to apply next year and possibly get in but im not really trying to take a gap year.
@ejz17 okay Thankyou !
Guys is law are Cardiff uni okay ?
Original post by ejz17

Original post by ejz17

I would look at this for intitial guidance: https://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Reading does rank on the first general table, but it doesn’t for MC and other large firms (it may just be below 1%). The <1% of Reading students that do get top top TCs in London will likely have consistently excellent academics and extra-currics. Reading appears to rank well for national and regional firms, so perhaps these may be more realistic. You could also give some city firms a shot, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for the larger firms.
(edited 3 years ago)
Most firms have an A-Level requirement, have a look here for specifics;
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria

Some accept A-Level equivalents, off top of my head I think Freshfields doesn't look at A Levels

You'd have to contact them individually
Reply 19
Original post by lawcalling
I would look at this for intitial guidance: https://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Reading does rank on the first general table, but it doesn’t for MC and other large firms (it may just be below 1%). The <1% of Reading students that do get top top TCs in London will likely have consistently excellent academics and extra-currics. Reading appears to rank well for national and regional firms, so perhaps these may be more realistic. You could also give some city firms a shot, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for the larger firms.

Alright thanks for the insight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending