The Student Room Group

What kind of spider is this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymusy
Then why does it keep lifting it's body up?

"Raising the front legs will make the spider appear bigger and more menacing to a would-be attacker.

If the spider were to lunge, the raised front legs are ready to grab and hold on in order to deliver a bite."

At least it is not poison. Good luck mate 😳

*I will keep you in my prayers tonight
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Kk1999
oh.... I don't get it... spiders are weaker and less harmful in fact not harmful at all when compared to a simple poisonous snake!

You could keep a snake away in a room but a spider will escape from the tiniest gaps and find its way back to you.
Original post by Kk1999
Well, I understand but just get over it!
These creatures are scared of humans 🥰
Dont worry...

I wonder whats gonna happen if I send the photo of a snake we found here in our campus last night!

Not a fan of spiders myself but absolutely having right laugh seeing everyone go on about how huge this thing is... This one just looks like a small bugger with some meat on it. If looking at a pic of that is freaking people out I almost wish I took a picture of the one I had running about last year. Bloody thing was the size of a small, fully grown tarantula with some thiccc legs to match and YOU COULD HEAR IT RUNNING ACROSS THE FLOOR

I'm too scared to go near it, it keeps lifting its fat body up like its trying to shoot it's poison at me. I'm not usually scared of spiders, I've put bigger ones in jars and let them go outside but this one has really creeped me out. They're all creepy but this one is even worse.

It's not trying to shoot anything at you. I'm not even sure if there are any spiders that can do that? Maybe some far off tarantula could, naturally, it'd be from Australia if it does exist.

It's a threat posture, a whole 'ooohhhh look how big I am' sort of display and it also puts it in a position that makes it ready to attack if needs be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Then why does it keep lifting it's body up?

Ah! That's what scares you
It actually is preparing to run or it can be that it's threatening you.
It might even try to attack you if you continue...

Now as its been you pet since 3 days already.. continue 😂

Just take a stick or your slipper and hit one and its dead! I hope you tell me that you that soon!

spiders of a bigger size and different looks are a regular sighting here and no matter how powerful it seems one blow is always enough to kill it.
Original post by TheMcSame
Not a fan of spiders myself but absolutely having right laugh seeing everyone go on about how huge this thing is... This one just looks like a small bugger with some meat on it. If looking at a pic of that is freaking people out I almost wish I took a picture of the one I had running about last year. Bloody thing was the size of a small, fully grown tarantula with some thiccc legs to match and YOU COULD HEAR IT RUNNING ACROSS THE FLOOR

😂😂😂
I never forget to click a picture of every creature encounter!
Oh dear, different sizes, colours and shapes.

did you guys see a moth similar to a piegon in size!?
Now I can’t go to sleep...
5F599110-2C23-435A-B8CB-CF3127A28DE7.jpeg
Original post by Kk1999
😂 😂 😂
Hey Potato.. wanna see my collection of animals and insects😂
I had gone for a morning walk now and what I saw was a giant millipede crawling in my room... I have no idea how it managed to reach there because everything is so clean and Air Conditioned!

:jitsu: Fight me
Original post by Kk1999
Arachnophobia!?

Cmon guys these things are scared of humans!
They attack you only if they sense that you are afraid of them!!
There are very few who actually attack you for no reason 🤷🏻*♂️

Cmon!

I will actually drown you in a bath full of spiders for saying that :mad:
I'm not a very emotional type of person so I don't cry that much but one time my dad put a spider on my hand when I wasn't looking and I burst out crying and absolutely ****ing lost it omg. Didn't speak to him for days. I HATE SPIDERS
Is it dangerous? I saw it crawling around in my house yesterday and thought it was just some dirt on the floor but today I saw it closely and it was a freaking spider, it scared the life out of me at first because it's a lot bigger than it looks.

Probably a giant house spider. Don't worry, he'll eat all the mosquitos for you :biggrin:
Original post by SuperiorPotato
I will actually drown you in a bath full of spiders for saying that :mad:
I'm not a very emotional type of person so I don't cry that much but one time my dad put a spider on my hand when I wasn't looking and I burst out crying and absolutely ****ing lost it omg. Didn't speak to him for days. I HATE SPIDERS

I don't fight unless it's to protect others dignity.. not mine! (I recall a really wonderful story about this)

Awwwwwwww.... thats so emotional.... sorry about that hun❤️🥰🥰

But... You cannot scare me with anything! I swear! So a bath or a pool or anything full of spiders as long as they are non venomous don't scare me. Venomous will kill me so I have to be cautious. Ummm... but there are certain poisonous creatures which don't kill you but it delivers deadly pain.. I have no worries about that either...

And I'm not joking here! I swear!

@Rose_symonia @SuperiorPotato
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kk1999
I don't fight unless it's to protect others dignity.. not mine! (I recall a really wonderful story about this)

But... You cannot scare me with anything! I swear! So a bath or a pool or anything full of spiders as long as they are non venomous don't scare me. Venomous will kill me so I have to be cautious. Ummm... but there are certain poisonous creatures which don't kill you but it delivers deadly pain.. I have no worries about that either...

Sure you're not scared of anything :rolleyes: but I only have fear of big spiders and heights
Original post by Kk1999

@SuperiorPotato looks like both of our dads are crazy,once the was this long as worm I HATE WORMS SO MUCH and my dad picked it up and started chasing me around in the garden and he fkn locked the door so I couldn’t go back inside and he pretended to throw it at me and I started crying my eyes out.
I didn’t speak him for a full week after that.
Original post by Rose_symonia
@SuperiorPotato looks like both of our dads are crazy,once the was this long as worm I HATE WORMS SO MUCH and my dad picked it up and started chasing me around in the garden and he fkn locked the door so I couldn’t go back inside and he pretended to throw it at me and I started crying my eyes out.

Omfg my dad took a slug and left on my ****ing leg and I screamed but it was stuck to my leg that way I ran :bawling:
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Omfg my dad took a slug and left on my ****ing leg and I screamed but it was stuck to my leg that way I ran :bawling:

My dad DID THE SAME OMG but he just left the slug on my slippers and waited for me to put my feet in and I never saw it so I did and🤢🤮
Original post by Rose_symonia

I go fishing with worms.. they are so soft and wriggly!!! 😋
Love that!

Okay! @SuperiorPotato
I don't believe in Phobias.. Its all related to how you react to it!
Wait for a PM.. check that link out..
Original post by Kk1999
Love that!

Okay! @SuperiorPotato

Yeah I got your PM also phobias are real as they are a type of trauma. My fear of heights comes from nearly dying on a roller coaster
Yeah, here it is542EBC6A-B97B-49DA-8440-C95EFAA75921.jpg.jpeg

That is a brown recluse spider. It's one of the only venomous spider species in the UK, it's bite is probably about as painful as a bee sting.
Original post by Kk1999
Love that!

Okay! @SuperiorPotato

I- ewwwwwwwwww
Reply 78
I didn't see it today but I did see another spider who's been here who knows how long but I've spotted it a few weeks ago and it likes to play peekaboo from the gap in the wall where it's web is. It's triple the size of the other spider and is a lot darker.
I didn't see it today but I did see another spider who's been here who knows how long but I've spotted it a few weeks ago and it likes to play peekaboo from the gap in the wall where it's web is. It's triple the size of the other spider and is a lot darker.

Maybe they're a family :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest