The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL 8th worst for maths in the UK?

According to the Guardian rankings, it ranks 61/68.

Is this true?
Original post by ScrLk0

Is this true?

I wouldn't worry about the Guardian rankings, they are always strange. The CUG is the one most careers advisers use

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/mathematics
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by ScrLk0

Is this true?

Well it’s true the guardian has a ranking that puts them there.

But if you were to poll mathematicians I highly doubt they would rank Kings there. I would say in terms of prestige/reputation they are a very strong uni.

I would just ignore these rankings all together.
Original post by harrysbar
I wouldn't worry about the Guardian rankings, they are always strange. The CUG is the one most careers advisers use

Any career advisor worth speaking to would ignore all of them.
Employers don’t use them either.
Original post by mnot
Any career advisor worth speaking to would ignore all of them.
Employers don’t use them either.

Sorry but I worked as a careers adviser for over 10 years.

Not saying I am necessarily "worth speaking to" but it is common in the profession for advisers to refer to the CUG if they are assisting students with choices about uni applications. The league table would not be the main focus of the interview (or the students could just look up the info themselves with no idea of the limitations of the tables) but it was referred to often enough that the book used to be a staple of every careers library
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar

Thanks. It's not very high in there either.

For some reason I thought it would be the tier below Imperial/Warwick/Oxbridge.
Original post by ScrLk0

Honestly id stop worrying about these tables and look where you want to go uni for 3/4 years.

Kings has an excellent rep, in maths its probably not as strong as COWI and perhaps a couple other unis like Bath & UCL are also ahead of it in maths reputation. But nevertheless Kings is still an excellent uni and has a very strong academic reputation. And imo its reputation is comparable enough with any uni outside of COWI that it’s worth considering if its the uni you want to go to.

The fact that atm the CUG & Guardian have it listed lower down in the table shouldn’t deter you from going to an excellent uni that could well be backup in the rankings by the time you graduate.
Original post by ScrLk0

Kings is very highly rated for some subjects but not maths, it seems
Reply 8
Trust me when I say this, the Guardians had LSE which had no computer science department ranked top 10 in their league table (CS subject-wise). I forgot which year, but it's ridiculous how "thoroughly researched" the Guardian goes through.

It was mentioned way back, and now the Guardian removed LSE from CS subjects lol. They moving mad. Don't trust the Guardian's league table.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest