The Student Room Group

I don't want to do Medicine anymore...

Medicine was always in the back of my mind since I was doing my GCSEs. I actually did really well in my GCSEs. However, I went to a poor state school and knew I'd never be able to achieve the grades needed for medicine. Most student came out with Cs and B's (at the top end). I did manage to get into a good university (top 10) studying Biomedical Science with the intention of applying for graduate medicine. But due to family issues, depression and anxiety, I wasn't able to work hard and didn't achieve a good degree result. I have learn't so much about myself, how my upbringing has shaped me, who I want to be throughout those years though.

After university I had spent my time working in hospitals to gain experience. I have applied for graduate entry medical school twice since then. First time I was rejected as I didn't achieve a high enough score for the entrance exam. Second time (this year) I managed to get an interview. I didn't think my interview went badly, but I was rejected. it was also an online interview due to COVID-19 and I do feel there was a lot of unfairness in the process.

So now I am at a cross road of sorts. I have recently turned 25 and I am thinking if I really want to do medicine. At this point it feels like a waste to start it now? It would be so much worth it to start the course at 18. I feel so old and like I have wasted so much time. I feel like such a failure!

Working in hospitals I have also seen being a doctor isn't what it's cracked up to be, well I guess I can only say this for hospital doctors. Although you have prestige (which, I won't lie, is desirable), you get to help people and use your scientific knowledge to save lives and this is the reason why I wanted to be a doctor... This is what I wanted to do with my life. But other than this it's long hours, not great pay for the work put in (especially working for the NHS), a lot of pressure, abuse from patients, a huge workload. There were even doctors at the hospital telling me not to do medicine and to save myself! I'm not sure if I have it in me to apply again and put my life on hold for another year. I feel the application process is so paralysing and I haven't been able to go forward with my life. But because I have wanted it for so long it feels like I would be giving up, not to mention the sort of 'shame' that will bring as everyone around me has known i've wanted to do medicine for years. I think I may apply again, but not base my whole life around it. I have all my personal statements etc to get me an interview again... It just sucks I have to wait ANOTHER year.

Hmm what to do?...
Hey, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough application journey so far!

If you still want to do medicine, you're only 25, that's not too old at all! There are TSRers going for medicine at 38 and even older (have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6316066&page=2) It sounds like you've had some success applying to GEM (getting an interview is still a big deal!) and if you still want to be a doctor, you might as well go for it. People on here can advise as to how to best do that if you want more help. You might want to try posting in the thread above, or the GEM 2021 thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212&p=89372372&page=74#post89372372) to get help/advice on applying, avoiding the feeling of stasis, and some support and reassurance!

Applying for medicine is tough and it's understandable that you feel that going through it again might not be worth it - that's your decision. Changing your mind is part of life, and better to recognise that now and go do something else than get into medicine and regret it; your friends and family may well be understanding and supportive. But if you do still want to be a doctor, don't give up, starting at 26 is feasible and normal!

, @Democracy and @Keels25 are two amazing doctors and one amazing GEM student who might also be able to advise you?

Good luck :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Medicine was always in the back of my mind since I was doing my GCSEs. I actually did really well in my GCSEs. However, I went to a poor state school and knew I'd never be able to achieve the grades needed for medicine. Most student came out with Cs and B's (at the top end). I did manage to get into a good university (top 10) studying Biomedical Science with the intention of applying for graduate medicine. But due to family issues, depression and anxiety, I wasn't able to work hard and didn't achieve a good degree result. I have learn't so much about myself, how my upbringing has shaped me, who I want to be throughout those years though.

After university I had spent my time working in hospitals to gain experience. I have applied for graduate entry medical school twice since then. First time I was rejected as I didn't achieve a high enough score for the entrance exam. Second time (this year) I managed to get an interview. I didn't think my interview went badly, but I was rejected. it was also an online interview due to COVID-19 and I do feel there was a lot of unfairness in the process.

So now I am at a cross road of sorts. I have recently turned 25 and I am thinking if I really want to do medicine. At this point it feels like a waste to start it now? It would be so much worth it to start the course at 18. I feel so old and like I have wasted so much time. I feel like such a failure!

Working in hospitals I have also seen being a doctor isn't what it's cracked up to be, well I guess I can only say this for hospital doctors. Although you have prestige (which, I won't lie, is desirable), you get to help people and use your scientific knowledge to save lives and this is the reason why I wanted to be a doctor... This is what I wanted to do with my life. But other than this it's long hours, not great pay for the work put in (especially working for the NHS), a lot of pressure, abuse from patients, a huge workload. There were even doctors at the hospital telling me not to do medicine and to save myself! I'm not sure if I have it in me to apply again and put my life on hold for another year. I feel the application process is so paralysing and I haven't been able to go forward with my life. But because I have wanted it for so long it feels like I would be giving up, not to mention the sort of 'shame' that will bring as everyone around me has known i've wanted to do medicine for years. I think I may apply again, but not base my whole life around it. I have all my personal statements etc to get me an interview again... It just sucks I have to wait ANOTHER year.

Hmm what to do?...

You're still young at 25... you could do something else that you actually want to do for a number of years and always come back to medicine. Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to - that would be the biggest waste of time. Make the most of life and try and do something you actually want to do :smile:
Reply 3
Hi there, I feel your pain. Just to let you know that there are other people who maybe in the same boat as you or similar. I know what you mean about NHS hospital doctor, I worked in the hospital too and I always chat with the doctors about their experiences, studies etc. One time this doctor told me he don’t know why he is there, he just got out of uni and shocked how busy nhs hospital are in real practice. There will be a time that they work alone on the night shift and they cannot get a break! Imagine that. I was shocked as well when I heard it, thats why they keep drinking coffee, tea. On the other hand, being a doctor is worth doing if that is what your heart really want. I am mature student with young family and about to go in university to study pathway to medicine (4 yrs course with foundation year).

I never really wanted to do medicine, but I am aiming for Physician Associate. If you don’t want to do the medicine, have you thought about studying healthcare sciences or apply for nhs scientist training? Your never too old to study, this is what I keep telling myself. As long as you are happy to do it and work hard to achieve it. If you needed a break, go for it and come back when your fully charge and ready to apply. Please smile and pat your back for finishing your undergraduate. You made it and not a lot of people can do that in your circumstances before. (((Giving your hugs))).
They're so competent they made me think they were already a doctor :lol:
Good luck to them!

Hmm what to do?...

25 isn’t old at all to get into medicine. You could also look into other AHP courses.
Reply 6
Hi - I feel I should just confirm I’m not actually a doctor @becausethenight but thank you for the tag!

I’m about to start graduate entry med in September. I’m really sorry to hear about the difficulty you’ve had - I too understand the difficulty going to a state school that is well below average.

I think you definitely need to listen to your doubts and try to figure out what is causing them. Is it because you’ve had two unsuccessful attempts or is it more to do with what you have been told by other doctors and what you have yourself seen in hospitals? It’s very important to make this distinction because if it is just the disappointment of not making it this time around but your passion is still there, then you should reapply (knowing you can get to interview and try to improve next time). If it is the latter, then you should try to think about what else really interests you. Do you like the idea of potentially pursuing research? Or would you consider a different healthcare profession? You have to get to the bottom of your doubts before making a decision about reapplying.

Whatever you choose, I wish you luck :smile:
Reply 7

Hmm what to do?...

I forgot to mention that I am 38 and about to do pathway to medicine. I wish I thought about studying medicine when I was in my early 20’s.
25 really isn't old.

Would it be possible for you to re-apply with the aim of eventually qualifying as a GP?
Reply 9
PRSOM @becausethenight thank you both! :biggrin:
Original post by Keels25
Hi - I feel I should just confirm I’m not actually a doctor @becausethenight but thank you for the tag!

Now fixed, sorry! I shouldn't have assumed :colondollar:
PRSOM! Good luck with GEM in Sept, btw!
Reply 11
:h: Thank you.
Reply 12
Original post by becausethenight
Hey, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough application journey so far!

If you still want to do medicine, you're only 25, that's not too old at all! There are TSRers going for medicine at 38 and even older (have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6316066&page=2) It sounds like you've had some success applying to GEM (getting an interview is still a big deal!) and if you still want to be a doctor, you might as well go for it. People on here can advise as to how to best do that if you want more help. You might want to try posting in the thread above, or the GEM 2021 thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212&p=89372372&page=74#post89372372) to get help/advice on applying, avoiding the feeling of stasis, and some support and reassurance!

Applying for medicine is tough and it's understandable that you feel that going through it again might not be worth it - that's your decision. Changing your mind is part of life, and better to recognise that now and go do something else than get into medicine and regret it; your friends and family may well be understanding and supportive. But if you do still want to be a doctor, don't give up, starting at 26 is feasible and normal!

@ecolier, @Democracy and @Keels25 are two amazing doctors and one amazing GEM student who might also be able to advise you?

Good luck :smile:

@Democracy is even a GEM route doctor!

Hmm what to do?...

To me, you sound a bit burnt out and frustrated. This is understandable. While of course you are getting older (everyone is), why not focus on something else for a few years? Get a job that's completely unrelated if you can think of another field you might be interested in. Maybe apply to some graduate employers (there are lots that accept people with any degree). A few years away from health care might help you figure out whether you do really want to be a doctor, or whether the doubts you're having now are due to burn out.

Then if you do decide to reapply in the future, you'll have a wider range of life experience to draw on (even if not directly relevant), and you'll be able to approach the application with fresh eyes. You won't be too old!

(From a 35yo GEM student who definitely doesn't regret having had a different career)
Original post by GANFYD
@Democracy is even a GEM route doctor!

PRSOM, I accidentally made very good tagging choices lol :smile:
It’s normal to start having doubts and frustrations about the process when you run into setbacks like this. Applying for Medicine is hard work, not as straight forward or black and white as lots of people on TSR make it out to be (some of them are even doctors and still can’t sympathise with the struggle). But I can tell you with confidence that you wouldn’t have worked so hard and pursued Medicine for so long if you really thought being a doctor was as bad as you describe. I agree with what someone mentioned above, you do sound frustrated and that’s understandable when things haven’t gone to plan so far.

I think you should look at this as a learning opportunity and a chance to improve yourself rather than looking backwards. You’ve got your degree which means you can work for a year in any job you like, earn money to put towards your tuition for medical school while you apply again. It would be a different story if you were on a gap year without a degree, but that’s not the case for you. You can put your degree to good use, come up with a new strategy for applying next time and hopefully turn the tables in your favour. If you got an interview this year, you can do that again and get at least one next year provided you apply to the right places. Failing that, studying Medicine abroad is always an option and the applications take a lot less time to complete than they do in the UK.

Don’t look at your age as a setback unless you have other priorities in your life such as relationships. If you ask me, your career and happiness should take precedence over crossing milestones before a certain age. I myself started Medicine at 25 and I will be 31 when I graduate, around 10 years later than all my friends who did 3 year Bachelors degrees, are in long term relationships and living independently. Don’t be afraid to strike out on your own and take the long hard route to where you want to be. I would have loved to graduate at 23 like my friends from college who became doctors. But that’s not how life turns out for some of us. I suggest you embrace it and keep grinding, keep working hard even if it takes you twice as long or three times as long to get there as everyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending