The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde Industrial biotechnology

Hey guys, I have received the conditional offer from Strathclyde for Industrial biotechnology ( the condition being to provide one more reference as I only had one at the time of application) and I've also received the unconditional offer from Glasgow. I really don't know which university to choose. I've got a scholarship from Strathclyde so the course would be funded, also it says that each module is taught in different universities eg. Bionformatics at university of Edinburgh and synthetic biology at University of Glasgow. But on the other had Glasgow belongs to the Russel group and its considered prestigious. Has anybody done any of the courses? What would you recommend, I'm taking a masters programme to get a job in a field so I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any experience in it and could help me. Need to make a decision soon!
It seems a bit strange that different modules are being taught at different locations. The first thing that comes to my mind is that what will your graduation parchment/certificate say- Strathclyde, Glasgow or Edinburgh? I know someone who's done a course ran by different unis and apparently none of the unis recognised him as a graduate. He was kind of stuck in limbo if you know what I mean. Another person I know has done a course in college, which was also ran by Edinburgh uni, and because th college didn't wanna to continue the course or something, he ended up graduating from edi uni, which was a nice surprise.
Note that these are anecdotal and aren't a fully representative of your situation, just food for thought. I'm not an expert in your field.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
It seems a bit strange that different modules are being taught at different locations. The first thing that comes to my mind is that what will your graduation parchment/certificate say- Strathclyde, Glasgow or Edinburgh? I know someone who's done a course ran by different unis and apparently none of the unis recognised him as a graduate. He was kind of stuck in limbo if you know what I mean. Another person I know has done a course in college, which was also ran by Edinburgh uni, and because th college didn't wanna to continue the course or something, he ended up graduating from edi uni, which was a nice surprise.
Note that these are anecdotal and aren't a fully representative of your situation, just food for thought. I'm not an expert in your field.

Well on the programme website it states that it is awarded by the University of Strathclyde.
"This unique MSc degree is awarded by the University of Strathclyde; teaching takes place at Strathclyde’s campus in Glasgow and the following higher education institutions across Scotland:

Abertay University
Heriot-Watt University
Innogen Institute
Scottish Association for Marine Science
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of the Highlands and Islands
Associated travel expenses are reimbursed. Teaching on the course combines the expertise of staff from a wide range of academic institutions.""
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I have received the conditional offer from Strathclyde for Industrial biotechnology ( the condition being to provide one more reference as I only had one at the time of application) and I've also received the unconditional offer from Glasgow. I really don't know which university to choose. I've got a scholarship from Strathclyde so the course would be funded, also it says that each module is taught in different universities eg. Bionformatics at university of Edinburgh and synthetic biology at University of Glasgow. But on the other had Glasgow belongs to the Russel group and its considered prestigious. Has anybody done any of the courses? What would you recommend, I'm taking a masters programme to get a job in a field so I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any experience in it and could help me. Need to make a decision soon!

Hello! Congratulations on receiving your offers! I hope you're excited to get started with your course :smile:

This course is designed to give you the very best experience in lots of different teaching environments, learning about subject specialties in the areas where they are taught best. It's great that you'll get to collaborate and study across lots of varying campuses, and I'm sure that this will help not only your academic capabilities but also help to build your own personal network in the Biotechnology industry too! Students work across different disciplines throughout their studies as well as carrying out a project in industry, allowing you to build on your skills and apply them in a real life environment. This could really help you when you're ready to go into the job market. Graduates on this course go on to either successfully find employment or take up studying a PhD after finishing.

If you're stuck on deciding which university is best for you, have a look and see if there are any opportunities to "meet" the staff/students over the coming weeks. I'm sure you'll have had a look at the course page already, but perhaps you could use our Online Chat function which appears there to chat directly to my colleagues in the Science faculty and they'll be able to give you a feel for the course and what it's like? There may be some online PG events coming up soon too so keep an eye on your email for more information about those.

Have you had a chance to visit the city of Glasgow already? It really is a brilliant place to live and study and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it!

If you've any other questions let me know!

Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending