The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
icetopaz_h454
I was just wondering what people on here who are in Y11 are thinking are choosing for their AS levels and why?

i m choosing Physics, Chem, Bio, Maths, cuz i would like to read medicine.
Reply 2
IZZY!
i m choosing Physics, Chem, Bio, Maths, cuz i would like to read medicine.

That's good. I'm not brave enough to take science. Im doing Art, History, English Literature and Drama because I want to do English at university then hopefully get into journalism.
Reply 3
Glad you are deciding your AS-levels quite early! :smile:
History, Maths, Politics and Physics!
Reply 5
um.. Maths, Economics, Biology, Something Else and Something Else
Reply 6
Are your schools very accommodating when it comes to subject choices? I very nearly wasn't able to do the ones I wanted to, so I suggest you let the school know in advance so that they can try to sort it out.
Reply 7
Bio, chem, English lit and history...
I love these subjects
I get my best marks in these
I want to do medicine, but want to keep my options open
Reply 8
No Future
Bio, chem, English lit and history...
I love these subjects
I get my best marks in these
I want to do medicine, but want to keep my options open

good choices.. :biggrin:

ok, i'm biased. they worked for me = 2nd year medic. :p:
Reply 9
A tip for year 11's chosing their A Levels:

If you intend to go to university go to www.ucas.co.uk and check the course you want to do. Look at the required/prefered subjects the different unis set for the courses. Select these subjects. For the rest of your choices, just pick what you want!
Sian's Top Tips:

1. Choose geography
2. Don't choose English language

The end.
Reply 11
lol.
Elles
good choices.. :biggrin:

ok, i'm biased. they worked for me = 2nd year medic. :p:

:biggrin: Really?? Omg wow!
I was a bit worried because the bio teacher at Wellington College (I went for an interview) told me how I couldn't go to "traditional" unis (Oxbridge) with only 2 sciences for medicine. He made me question myself - yet my headteacher, careers teacher and the head at WC said my choices were ok for medicine, in fact that they were good...Hmm...
Reply 13
Unlike most of you, I’m not really sure what I want to study next year.

Of course, I have a vague idea but currently I’m interested in studying five subjects (English literature, French, history, German and maths) but I don’t really think that is an entirely feasible option.

I know little about the precise amount of work each of these subjects involves or any specifics about the course content so I’m hoping an open evening in the new year at my school (where I am staying on for the sixth form) and a prospectus might make it all a bit clearer. I want to know a bit more before I commit myself to anything. The ditherer in me is insanely pleased by the fact I’ve been told option choices can be changed pretty much up until the end of September, which makes me feel fabulously reassured.

To be honest, I blame all of my decision-making problems for next year on my maths teacher! I sat my GCSE in year 10 with the rest of my classmates and really thought that would be the end of my examined maths education. I’m not naturally talented in maths by any means but I enjoyed it last year and liked the challenge it posed. I thought I’d be pretty happy, content, with the GCSE. Turns out I’m not.

A few weeks ago, I found out I’ve been nominated for attainment in maths at my school’s annual presentation evening along with two girls in my class who I think are amazing in the subject. I don’t think I’m at all on par with them but I’ve taken the nomination as a sign that my teacher thinks I did well with the GCSE work and could do well next year. (Of course, I suspect I might have been nominated by random selection from my classmates or, alternatively, because I achieved a grade higher than I was predicted and improved quite a lot from my mock results.)

Perhaps foolishly, I’m waiting on the results of my mocks to help me gain a better idea of what I want to study! I know you should pick subjects you enjoy but how well you do in them is undeniably a deciding factor. This is by no means a fool proof approach because my experiences with my maths mock exam last year taught me that the mocks don’t really amount for much in the end. I just think knowing how I've done in my exams for each of the subjects I'm studying will give me an idea about how I'm going to perform in exams for those subjects in the future.

I’ve also enjoyed the work we’ve been doing for the C1 paper (WJEC) and think it is something I can cope with. (I decided against sitting that module in January though because I want to concentrate on my other subjects the ones I haven’t got GCSEs in yet before I start tackling anything else.)

Basically, what I’m trying to say is I’m really torn between whether or not I want to take maths next year now! I really want to do it but taking it would probably mean dropping one of the other subjects. It’s going to be a hard decision to make in the end. It’s complicated further by the fact I should own the patent for Not Knowing What To Study and/or Do With Your Life.

At least I’ve got plenty of time to decide…
Of course, I have a vague idea but currently I’m interested in studying five subjects (English literature, French, history, German and maths) but I don’t really think that is an entirely feasible option.

I know little about the precise amount of work each of these subjects involves or any specifics about the course content so I’m hoping an open evening in the new year at my school (where I am staying on for the sixth form) and a prospectus might make it all a bit clearer. I want to know a bit more before I commit myself to anything. The ditherer in me is insanely pleased by the fact I’ve been told option choices can be changed pretty much up until the end of September, which makes me feel fabulously reassured.

Just to reassure you further, I know loads of people who changed subjects well into October and even November, so you definitely don't need to decide yet. If you're unlucky, you may find there'll be a timetable clash between 2 of your subjects, which would kind of make the decision for you!

Judging by the fact that you've taken GCSE maths a year early, I'm assuming that you're very intelligent and academically capable, so you may want to consider taking 5. As you can tell from my sig, I do 4 (including 3 of the ones you're interested in taking) because no-one in my school ever does 5; 4 is the absolute maximum! I find it quite a lot of work and I know I wouldn't be able to handle doing 5, but then it might be different for you, especially as you'd have one non-essay subject. If you think you might later regret not taking them all, and if your school allows it, you could always do them all to start with and drop one if it's too much. Otherwise you'll have to make a decision. It's fine to use mock grades to help you decide to a certain extent, but remember that mock grades are often quite different from final grades, and with all the work involved in A-levels, I wouldn't recommend taking any subject unless you really enjoy it, even if you're good at it. If I didn't love all my subjects, I'd never be able to motivate myself to do so much work.

Obviously subjects vary according to the exam board and syllabus, but I can give you some general information about English lit, French and history (all of which are Edexcel for me). English lit is not too different from GCSE except that you can't blag it anymore and you do need to write plans, but that's true for all essay subjects at A-level. In terms of the actual content, I study a play called 'Translations' by Brian Friel, the Edexcel poetry anthology, a novel called 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens, and for coursework I'm doing 'Much Ado About Nothing.' Pretty much the same types of literature as at GCSE, the only differences being that for poetry, you use more technical terms and you need literary criticism by other writers and for the novel, you need to go into more depth about things like characters, themes and settings. The workload is quite intense, but you get used to it and it's interesting.

French is my favourite subject, just like it was at GCSE. The small class takes some getting used to because you have to read out loud and answer on-the-spot discussion questions all the time, but the teachers speak mainly French to you and you have an assistant to help you all year instead of just for a few weeks before the oral. It's a huge step up from GCSE and you'll probably panic at first at how hard it is, but it gets easier and is really enjoyable and rewarding. The listening tapes are about 10 times faster and the reading questions try and trip you up a lot more, but there's no separate writing paper; just writing questions on the reading and listening papers. You have to choose and research your own topic for the oral, and the only rule is that is has to be something do with French culutre/society, so it can be almost anything you want. You do a 1-2 minute presentation and then have an 8-10 minute discussion where the examiner asks you some unexpected questions that are related to the topic, but not necessarily to what you've talked about. (Your exam structure may vary slightly if you're with a different exam board).

History isn't that much different to GCSE, except obviously in more depth. There's a lot to cover and the timing in exams is a bit stingy, but you still have one essay-based paper and one source-based paper as well as coursework. My topics are Weimar and Nazi Germany (source), Fascist Italy (essay) and Origins of the First World War (coursework). It can be boring at times and one of my teachers isn't exactly brilliant, but most of the time I enjoy it.

Sorry, I didn't think this was going to be so long! Anyway, I hope it's been of some use, and feel free to PM me if you want any more information.
Lottie

I'm doing 5, including two languages, history and maths (other one is physics). I'd say it is perfectly feasible, if it's timetable-able(!) but obviously it depends from person to person. As far as the maths goes, I wasn't particularly brilliant at it either and also chose it just because I enjoyed it and the challenge. At the end of the day, it's not a bad subject to have at A-level! The reason I did 5 is because really really didn't want to drop any of them, and I think that if you really like all the subjects (and are reasonably good at them), go for it. You could always drop one later.
Good luck!
Reply 16
Judging by the fact that you've taken GCSE maths a year early, I'm assuming that you're very intelligent and academically capable, so you may want to consider taking 5.
Thank you very much for the compliment.

I would like to think I am capable of studying five subjects next year but the fact I know barely anything about the workload involved does render that statement perhaps more than a little bold.

In any case, it would seem even the smartest candidates often opt to study four subjects and I would rather drop one of the subjects and do well in the ones left than struggle with five. It’s really a matter of finding out as much as I can at the moment, I think.

I suppose everything really rests on my school’s ability to accommodate my choices and the advice of those in the know about the subjects I am interested in. (I think I should be thankful I’ve managed to get it down to five as I do have days when I think that economics, politics and geography both take my fancy.)

Like I said in my earlier response, I really do think I need to get some more information - from both my subject teachers and careers advisor.

To be absolutely honest, I don’t even know if my school will allow me to study 5, which may, of course, force me to make a decision. As much as I am hesitant to want to drop one of them, it might be a blessing in disguise. I really have no idea.

I suppose right now I suppose I’m avoiding what will probably be the inevitable –dropping one of the subjects I presently really enjoy.

I wouldn't recommend taking any subject unless you really enjoy it, even if you're good at it.
I really do enjoy all of the subjects I am considering so I do not think there is any problem there. However, I am having some doubts about French at the moment because I have very little confidence in speaking it. I’ve never been to France and it’s often hard to work in a lot of oral practise during lessons. Weirdly, I don’t have this intense apprehension about speaking German though it hasn’t been too long since I decided I really want to study it further.

Of course, if I were to pursue French next year it is very likely I would take part in an exchange and I did feel my mock oral was better than one I had in the summer. The fact a lot of speaking is involved in AS level French is a daunting prospect but in a way, I think it is a very good thing because more practise is exactly what I need.

However, I absolutely love every other part of GCSE French and I’m hoping to find in January that my mock oral results were better than what I had at the end of year 10, which I hope will encourage me a little and make me feel more confident about taking it.

I love writing essays though I suspect my English teacher detests marking them for I have a habit of making them Tolstoy long. I think I’m too verbose for my own good, which could be a downfall. I think I give myself more work than is probably required now so I might have to try and put a cap on that before year 12.

The promise of a small class if I study languages is very alluring. Having seen the figures for the numbers of entrants for the AS/A level in recent years at my school, it doesn’t seem to creep up much higher than about twenty in both French and German.

At the moment, I’m studying Weimar and Nazi Germany for GCSE (WJEC), which I find rather fascinating. Our coursework pieces were based on Wales and the Spanish Civil War, which I found more interesting than I had imagined. By the time we finished the coursework I was positively fascinated! We’ve also spent a bit of time doing an outline study of black Americans from 1919 to 1990, which was interesting. Next year I think we’ve got a bit of work on the USA to cover as well as China, which I think shall be interesting, as presently I know absolutely nothing about it.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Although I imagine the syllabuses (syllabi?) differ, it’s nice to have an idea about your courses. I can’t imagine the syllabus I will follow will be drastically different from yours anyway.

I'm doing 5, including two languages, history and maths (other one is physics). I'd say it is perfectly feasible...
Despite my insecurities about whether or not I could cope with it, it’s great to know that someone is doing well with five because it gives me hope that it is something I can do.

The fact maths strikes me as a desirable subject to have at a higher level than GCSE is a very enticing factor. It would provide a welcome break from my essay-based subjects too and show that I’m not just an “artsy” person.

I think, if I am able to, I’ll probably start out with five and see how it goes. As you might have noticed from my changing opinions in this comment, I am really in two minds!

Thanks very much indeed for replying!
Lottie

However, I am having some doubts about French at the moment because I have very little confidence in speaking it. I’ve never been to France and it’s often hard to work in a lot of oral practise during lessons. Weirdly, I don’t have this intense apprehension about speaking German though it hasn’t been too long since I decided I really want to study it further.

Of course, if I were to pursue French next year it is very likely I would take part in an exchange and I did feel my mock oral was better than one I had in the summer. The fact a lot of speaking is involved in AS level French is a daunting prospect but in a way, I think it is a very good thing because more practise is exactly what I need.

However, I absolutely love every other part of GCSE French and I’m hoping to find in January that my mock oral results were better than what I had at the end of year 10, which I hope will encourage me a little and make me feel more confident about taking it.

Just one more thing: I've never been to France either, so I wouldn't worry abouy that. We're going on a trip to Paris at the end of January, but it's unlikely that we'll speak much French because most people in the tourist areas spaek English! Also, I think everyone in the class has improved drastically when it comes to speaking since the beginning of term- it gets a lot easier when you have frequent practice and get used to it!
Reply 18
SiAnY
Sian's Top Tips:

1. Choose geography
2. Don't choose English language

The end.

My Top Tips:

1. Don't choose Psychology
2. Or Computing.

The end.

:biggrin:
Reply 19