The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Would it be realistic to apply to LSE for Economic History with the following criteria?

AAAB at AS in French, Economics, Maths and English
taking an AS in Further maths this year
5 A*s 7 As and 2 Bs
Predicted A*AAA (b for further maths AS)
Extra Curriculars include: Head Boy of my School, President and Founding member of the Debating Society, Footballer and Athlete for school and work experience in the immigration sector of gatwick airport, and also a week's work experience in Lille coming up later in the month?
Reply 701
celebretty
Would it be realistic to apply to LSE for Economic History with the following criteria?

AAAB at AS in French, Economics, Maths and English
taking an AS in Further maths this year
5 A*s 7 As and 2 Bs
Predicted A*AAA (b for further maths AS)
Extra Curriculars include: Head Boy of my School, President and Founding member of the Debating Society, Footballer and Athlete for school and work experience in the immigration sector of gatwick airport, and also a week's work experience in Lille coming up later in the month?

Start your own thread: you are worth it.
Reply 702
i got 10 A*s and 1A GCSE AABC at AS with As in maths and econ and b in chem and c in spanish also i have AAAB predicted grades wat uni do u recomend me to apply
Reply 703
J100
i got 10 A*s and 1A GCSE AABC at AS with As in maths and econ and b in chem and c in spanish also i have AAAB predicted grades wat uni do u recomend me to apply

I recommend you start your own thread...
pbarlow
Your GCSEs are not "very poor"! They certainly aren't as good as your predicted A2s and ASs but they aren't awful either :smile:
Do you know what the 2 others are yet?

aww thanks very much :biggrin: , well erm it's going to be Warwick and Oxford. I know I'm a bit out of my reach but I have extenuating circumstances.
Jinru
B in Chinese? :shock:

Is the shock good or bad lol
Reply 706
xbabyxchelseax
Is the shock good or bad lol

I wished to imply it's bad, but I was joking.

It is actually very hard to get an A at mandarin A level.
Jinru

Assuming you aren't a native speaker of that language prior to the course :p:
Reply 708
goldsilvy

Actually, alot of native speaker only manage to get a B at A2. (Some dude from my college only got a B, another dude was too scared to take the A2 examination :rofl:, they both went to Cambridge and both of their Chinese are better than mine I think lol)

Because the exam is out of 100 marks, to get over 80, you actually need to prepare for the exam. You will also be easily penalised by forgetting how to write x-amount of characters, and you are suppose to write a 1000 character essay (account for 60 marks) in the exam :s-smilie: (Which I wrote before the exam and memorised it lmfao)
Jinru

Lol it's fine, I thought it was really bad when I got the result, I think it's karma for being to over confident when I finished the exam.
I did the new syllabus cantonese which is surprisingly harder than the old one.
goldsilvy

I'm not but then again I am chinese by ethnicity
Reply 711
xbabyxchelseax
Lol it's fine, I thought it was really bad when I got the result, I think it's karma for being to over confident when I finished the exam.
I did the new syllabus cantonese which is surprisingly harder than the old one.

Did you take in June 2009?

I just found out that I only needed 66% to get an A, and I only got like 251/300 UMS lol
Jinru
Did you take in June 2009?

I just found out that I only needed 66% to get an A, and I only got like 251/300 UMS lol

Yes something like that I got 4 or 5 marks of an A, oh well. I might not do A2 chinese since I cant do the research essay. only?! So you got an A then? :p:
Reply 713
xbabyxchelseax
Yes something like that I got 4 or 5 marks of an A, oh well. I might not do A2 chinese since I cant do the research essay. only?! So you got an A then? :p:

Yeh :awesome:

I had to completely re-write my essay 3 times, takes the piss.
Jinru
Yeh :awesome:

I had to completely re-write my essay 3 times, takes the piss.

At least you can write yous, are you a native speaker in chinese
I am predicted AAA at AS but I'm worried about one of these subjects being P.

These are my choices what do you think?

Bath
Exeter
Loughborough
Sheffield
Reading
Reply 716
Updated the link to the report.
(report is now .pdf instead of .doc)
How do A-levels and IB compare for Maths?
I have read (all!) the 80 page UCAS expert group panel report.

They attempted to compare IB and A-level qualifications. Complicated situation they looked at Chemistry, Geography and Maths. With Maths they concluded that IB Higher level was about 10-20% larger than A-level. But to match A-level FM, need to do Standard Level Further Maths as well. But it is very very rare for students to take HL FM (only 47 students worldwide in May 2003). Finally SL Maths is 2/3 size A-level.

So my conclusion is that HL Maths students are in a better position that A-level Maths students, but in a significantly worse position than double Maths A-level students (Maths and FM).
So here are my orderings (best at top)
1)A-level Maths and Further Maths = HL Maths and SL FM
2)HL Maths
3)A-level Maths
4)SL Maths
5)AS-level Maths

So HL Maths candidates are not in as strong a position as double maths A-level candidates in getting offers from the top 10 econ unis.
Reply 717
After getting my third rejection im really worried about getting into a university altogether. I never knew that economics would be so competitive, and to be honest its quite scary. Here in Jordan, i can firmly say that economics is a fairly unpopular subject, i mean i can only count a handful of graduates that i have actually met who have studied econ.
I really dont know what to do, and i think now a pivotal time for my future, i still have two choices; Warwick and Exeter, but i doubt that they will give me offers seeing that they haven't replied until know and because i take mathematics at a standard level in the IB.
What do you think i should do? Do any of you have advice, or have any of you been through this before?
Reply 718
IB00
After getting my third rejection im really worried about getting into a university altogether. I never knew that economics would be so competitive, and to be honest its quite scary. Here in Jordan, i can firmly say that economics is a fairly unpopular subject, i mean i can only count a handful of graduates that i have actually met who have studied econ.
I really dont know what to do, and i think now a pivotal time for my future, i still have two choices; Warwick and Exeter, but i doubt that they will give me offers seeing that they haven't replied until know and because i take mathematics at a standard level in the IB.
What do you think i should do? Do any of you have advice, or have any of you been through this before?

Welcome to TSR.
Please post in a new thread so that we can cover your case in detail.
All The Best Paulwhy
Reply 719
I am considering doing an Economics and maths course rather than a pure economics course. I am hoping to get into Nottingham and wondering how competitive it would be e.g how many A*'s at gcse you would need and what a levels you need. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending