The Student Room Group

A levels or BTEC + career path

Hi I’m in year 10 approaching year 11..
I have a few questions (sorry if they offend you🥺)
Why do most people prefer a levels than BTEC?
Which one is harder to pass
Is people that choose BTEC less smarter than a level students
I want to be a midwife but since I’m doing foundation science it’s impossible to get a 6 and above
I’m also thinking of being an art therapist and a psychologist
Any tips 😣?
Reply 1
Do Btec in cooking and shangalahangala and I guarantee you that you will get to Cambridge University
What is shangalahangala?
unis don't always accept BTEC qualifications so you might be limiting your options if you don't do A levels
Original post by ReadingMum
unis don't always accept BTEC qualifications so you might be limiting your options if you don't do A levels

Tysm what qualifications would you need if you want to be a psychologist or art therapist
Original post by Anonymous28033
I want to be a midwife but since I’m doing foundation science it’s impossible to get a 6 and above
Any tips 😣?

Hi @Anonymous28033,

Great question, most universities (including Lincoln) are happy to take students with either BTEC's or A-levels. A lot of level 3 BTEC courses are actually worth the same amount of credits as three A-levels. In my experience schools tend to push their students towards A-levels because they often have sixth forms and it looks good on them if the students stay on after GCSE with them. However, this does not mean that A-levels are right for everyone. I actually did a year of A-levels and then left because I really did not enjoy it, I then went on to do a level 3 BTEC extended diploma. This suited me a lot more as it was less exam focussed and the course was something that I was really interested in.

I think the best advice is to do plenty of research into both options, with a BTEC you often do one subject in depth so it is important to pick something that you are really interested in. A-levels often give students a broader range of opportunities after completing them, because you usually study at least three subjects. Some of the top universities also prefer A-level students but it is worth looking into university entry requirements to see what they ask for.

I hope this helps, we offer psychology and midwifery here in Lincoln. If you are interested to find out more about each course please click on the links provided. Psychology link, Midwifery link.

Best of luck in deciding what to do, perhaps speak to your teachers and parents about it too.

Jack :smile:
Wdym prefer A levels than BTEC in what context? For universities? For student's preference? Or something else?

Which one harder to pass is relative to you.

No they aren't less smarter than A level students - some are but some aren't and those who are still smart can choose btecs since they prefer their structure.

If you are in yr 10, then ask your teacher if you can do higher tier instead of foundation. You should research what you need to do to be an art therapist or a psychologist, which requires an accredited degree at uni.
Original post by PetitePanda
Wdym prefer A levels than BTEC in what context? For universities? For student's preference? Or something else?

Which one harder to pass is relative to you.

No they aren't less smarter than A level students - some are but some aren't and those who are still smart can choose btecs since they prefer their structure.

If you are in yr 10, then ask your teacher if you can do higher tier instead of foundation. You should research what you need to do to be an art therapist or a psychologist, which requires an accredited degree at uni.

What about midwifery? I’m thinking of doing btec level 3
What about midwifery? I’m thinking of doing btec level 3

I dont know much about midwifery - I'm sorry. Research what you need to be a midwife and what you can do to achieve what you need
Midwifery is extremely difficult to get into and has a huge rejection rate. Most universities accept BTECs but there will be a few that dont. I suspect some might require Biology A level although it is possible they might accept the extended BTEC in Applied Science instead. I think you should check this out.
Original post by swanseajack1
Midwifery is extremely difficult to get into and has a huge rejection rate. Most universities accept BTECs but there will be a few that dont. I suspect some might require Biology A level although it is possible they might accept the extended BTEC in Applied Science instead. I think you should check this out.

Okay tysm

How many btec courses can you pick? I’m trying to strive to do level 3
(edited 3 years ago)
Its entirely based on your career path!

Lots of people sneer at the thought of a BTEC as they feel they have to do A levels to get into a prestigious uni but tbh who cares about that!

In terms of difficulty i would say they are at a similar if not the same level! Some people assume its easy however its entirely how you prefer to be taught. BTEC is mostly if not all Coursework however some courses do have exams and these can be difficult!

We are not less smarter than A level students. In some respect we may actually be smarter for choosing something that has more relevance than some A level subjects.

My only advice to you is to not care about what everyone else thinks. I was in a similar situation. Career advisers and my secondary school directed me to A levels and drilled that into my head however i didnt want that as it has no relevance to my career path and i found that BTEC was very subject specific. Im 18 and will be going to uni in september and i find that im at a slight advantage to some A level students as i have my coursework to help back up my predictions due to Covid 19. I also have done a unit in the subject area of my degree for September whereas A level students that will be doing the same degree wont have that subject specific knowledge however they may have more of an understanding of essay work and other university referencing.

I have just finished a level 3 construction (technical) course and will be studying Building Surveying in September if you were wondering about how its subject related. To be honest A levels wouldn’t have suited me for that reason.

In your case i would suggest you look at the bigger picture as to what a uni course in your chosen career may offer. Look for a BTEC course that is relevant to that or even pick A levels that you think are as related as you can get to what you want to do. Im not going to sway you to the BTEC or A level side as its what suits you best and please dont listen to those sorts of people that put you down for doing a BTEC over an A level as they are not doing what you are doing and they havent done a BTEC to know what it involves.

I hope this helps 😊

Sorry for the long paragraph haha!
Any tips 😣?

Hey!

A reason why people prefer A-levels to BTEC’s is that generally universities will prefer students with A-level qualifications, especially if they have good grades, over BTEC qualifications so it is more likely to offer you more opportunities. Secondly, most people consider A-levels to be harder than BTEC’s as they are more focused on theory work rather than practicals like sports, food tech etc. Whether a person decides to choose a BTEC rather than an a-level does not mean that they are less smart at all, somebody’s intelligence is not determined by the course they choose. I am sure that there are many a-level students who have received low grades in their exams compared to someone who got a high grade in a BTEC.

If you are truly interested and passionate about becoming a midwife I would suggest trying to ask your teacher if you can take higher science as I know it is possible for them to do. Furthermore, just study hard and have faith in yourself and you can achieve this! If you are thinking about being an art therapist or a psychologist instead then remember at GSCE to just explore which subjects related to each of these careers you love most as well as which you do best in as this will help you narrow down your course choices in sixth form. I hope this helped you 😊
Original post by EDeHavas
Hey!

A reason why people prefer A-levels to BTEC’s is that generally universities will prefer students with A-level qualifications, especially if they have good grades, over BTEC qualifications so it is more likely to offer you more opportunities. Secondly, most people consider A-levels to be harder than BTEC’s as they are more focused on theory work rather than practicals like sports, food tech etc. Whether a person decides to choose a BTEC rather than an a-level does not mean that they are less smart at all, somebody’s intelligence is not determined by the course they choose. I am sure that there are many a-level students who have received low grades in their exams compared to someone who got a high grade in a BTEC.

If you are truly interested and passionate about becoming a midwife I would suggest trying to ask your teacher if you can take higher science as I know it is possible for them to do. Furthermore, just study hard and have faith in yourself and you can achieve this! If you are thinking about being an art therapist or a psychologist instead then remember at GSCE to just explore which subjects related to each of these careers you love most as well as which you do best in as this will help you narrow down your course choices in sixth form. I hope this helped you 😊

This isnt true. Nearly every university accept BTECs including Oxford. It is literally a couple who dont. Check the entry requirements. The likes of Exeter and nearly all other RGs do.

The areas where often there is a difference is medical type courses where Chemistry A level is required or Mathematical subjects where Maths A level is required in addition to the BTEC. This is because A level goes deeper into Chemistry and Maths than a BTEC does. I am not sure what the actual position with Midwifery but if you can get in with a BTEC it will probably be the BTEC in Applied or Forensic and Medical science. OP you need to check this with the universities concerned.
This isnt true. Nearly every university accept BTECs including Oxford. It is literally a couple who dont. Check the entry requirements. The likes of Exeter and nearly all other RGs do.

The areas where often there is a difference is medical type courses where Chemistry A level is required or Mathematical subjects where Maths A level is required in addition to the BTEC. This is because A level goes deeper into Chemistry and Maths than a BTEC does. I am not sure what the actual position with Midwifery but if you can get in with a BTEC it will probably be the BTEC in Applied or Forensic and Medical science. OP you need to check this with the universities concerned.

Hey! Thank you for educating me on this as now I understand clearer, I was basing it off what I have been told whilst in school and so on. I was trying to talk about courses for more in-depth subjects such as medicine like you have said but I think you have explained it much better :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by EDeHavas
Hey! Thank you for educating me on this as now I understand clearer, I was basing it off what I have been told whilst in school and so on. I was trying to talk about courses for more in-depth subjects such as medicine like you have said but I think you have explained it much better :smile:

Here is an example from Manchester for Psychology
We require successful completion of a BTEC National Extended Diploma at grades D*D*D in a science-based subject.
Exeter for Criminology
BTEC DDD
Bristol for Biology
DDD in Animal Management or Applied Science (General, Biomedical or Physical Science) with either Distinction in specified science units, or A at A-level in a science-related subject
Leeds for Nutrition
D*DD in a relevant Science subject. We do not accept Health and Social Care or Sports and Exercise Science.
Reply 17
As someone whose due to get their results from a Btec level 3 extended diploma in health in social care I received offers from all 5 of my uni choices (not for midwifery but adult nursing) and some others on my course received offers from universities they applied to for midwifery. I'd say a large benefit of my choice of doing btec is that it's given me an insight of how to manage a work load of priotising coursework, how to set out assignments and language to use in them. Furthermore as a requirement on my specific course we had to complete at least 150 hours I believe it was of work experience linked to the course. My college gave us the opportunity to gain experience working with and shadowing staff in places such as nursing homes, early years groups and our local hospitals. Btecs in areas like this encourage you and give you the opportunity to not only learn the theory but also see it in practice or do it yourself.
I can't really speak on a levels myself as I did not complete them. I did feel pressured by my secondary school staff to go for a levels but I think that was more because of the school having their own sixth form.
The important thing is to make sure to research possible courses as much as possible and think of possible opportunities they would leave open if there is a possibility of you changing your mind of what career path you want to follow.
Original post by Elyse02
As someone whose due to get their results from a Btec level 3 extended diploma in health in social care I received offers from all 5 of my uni choices (not for midwifery but adult nursing) and some others on my course received offers from universities they applied to for midwifery. I'd say a large benefit of my choice of doing btec is that it's given me an insight of how to manage a work load of priotising coursework, how to set out assignments and language to use in them. Furthermore as a requirement on my specific course we had to complete at least 150 hours I believe it was of work experience linked to the course. My college gave us the opportunity to gain experience working with and shadowing staff in places such as nursing homes, early years groups and our local hospitals. Btecs in areas like this encourage you and give you the opportunity to not only learn the theory but also see it in practice or do it yourself.
I can't really speak on a levels myself as I did not complete them. I did feel pressured by my secondary school staff to go for a levels but I think that was more because of the school having their own sixth form.
The important thing is to make sure to research possible courses as much as possible and think of possible opportunities they would leave open if there is a possibility of you changing your mind of what career path you want to follow.

Im not doing h+s but my btec is completely the same as in that it provides lots of useful experience in the area you want to go into. Work exp is massively part of btecs. I did 320hrs and it was one of the best things i ever did! The content is very specific to your subject area which was a selling point to me when choosing it. Im doing a Level 3 extended dip. Due to receive my results in august! I have had offers from all of my unis!

Good luck to you for your results and OP i hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending