The Student Room Group

Is there any point doing A Levels if you can't go to all universities?

Like say you repeated the year or you did A Levels years down the line that obviously has an impact on the universities you can go to and you won't be able to go to all of them so is there any point in doing them? It's also highly likely you will have to go with a foundation year and spend an extra year at university and be in more debt.
Why would you want or need to go to all unis?? You only get 5 choices and assuming you get all offers you have to narrow it down to 2. So you do your A levels and then find 5 unis that offer your course and that you want to apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Why would you want or need to go to all unis?? You only get 5 choices and assuming you get all offers you have to narrow it down to 2. So you do your A levels and then find 5 unis that offer your course and that you want to apply to.

I heard that with A Levels if you do them in one sitting you can go to all unis, BTEC you can go to some unis but not all. There's no point revisiting A Levels now then because doing A Level/BTEC/Access course will put me in the same position, you can only go to some unis but not all. There is no point trying so hard with A Levels and "opening doors" then. BTEC and Access restricts you to a career path.
Most unis are fine with retakes, it will only be the ultra-competitive courses that want three grades in one sitting.
Original post by Anony345533
Like say you repeated the year or you did A Levels years down the line that obviously has an impact on the universities you can go to and you won't be able to go to all of them so is there any point in doing them? It's also highly likely you will have to go with a foundation year and spend an extra year at university and be in more debt.

Hi @Anony345533,

Many universities are happy to consider A Level resits. However, each university will have different requirements for different courses, including Foundation Years. I advise you to look through the courses that you are interested in and clarify the entry requirements with each university.

Typically, universities look for UCAS Tariff points to join their undergraduate courses. UCAS Tariff points are attracted by Level 3 qualifications. At Edge Hill, we can consider a combination of A Level and BTEC qualifications to meet the entry requirements for many of our courses. However, for some programmes, we require specific subjects or qualifications.

Alternatively, you can consider an Access to Higher Education Diploma. This will give you 45 credits at Level 3.

We also run our own internal access programmes called Fastrack: Preparation for Higher Education. This is a 7 week course that we run to gain access to select undergraduate courses. Successful completion Fastrack will enable you to be considered for a place on a degree at Edge Hill University, in lieu of achieving the UCAS Tariff points in the entry criteria. The courses that we offer through Fastrack change each year.

So that I can help you further, do you have a particular course or subject that you are interested in studying?

I hope this helps,

Melissa- Course Enquiries
Reply 5
Original post by Anony345533
I heard that with A Levels if you do them in one sitting you can go to all unis, BTEC you can go to some unis but not all. There's no point revisiting A Levels now then because doing A Level/BTEC/Access course will put me in the same position, you can only go to some unis but not all. There is no point trying so hard with A Levels and "opening doors" then. BTEC and Access restricts you to a career path.

Access courses don't restrict you that much. Loads of Russell group unis accept them and I'm sure even Oxbridge does.
i don't think doing your A-levels for the first time past school age would disadvantage your application, (though you would fall in a very special case) resits it depends.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Most universities accept all the level 3 quaifications, with the exception of some super elite universities. It doesn't matter if you have to resit an A-level as the certification won't say its a resit and UCAS only logs the qualification and the date it was passed. The universities just care if it was passed with the grades they require. With that said, don't feel pressured to retake them if you feel it's not the right path for you.
With the wealth of A-level, BTEC, T-level and access courses out there, you're bound to find a way to get into uni that suits your needs and abilities. If you already know the university/course you want to join then look at their admissions criteria and do courses they actually accept. I don't have any A-levels myself - I did a 2yr BTEC instead of A-levels and got offered all 5 of my choices based off of that 1 BTEC and the volunteering experience i had in the field i was applying for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending