The Student Room Group

Deciding between Leicester and York Law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zella_day
Hi - I am a Canadian who is currently debating between the 2 universities for an LLB (I applied late). If you were in my shoes which would you pick and why?

YORK.
More recognised. Russell group. Nice city. Better graduate prospects. Gold tef. And more.
Original post by mike23mike
York. Its a Russell Group university and York is a much nicer city to live in than Leicester. York is a campus uni based in the city whilst Leicester is a city centre uni.

I’d still pick York over Leicester but I have to physically hold back laughter when somebody says York is RG
York, you don't wanna spend 3 years in a hole like Leicester
Thanks for the quick response! I live in a city like London but much newer and I'm really nervous about the adjustment and culture shock I might get as York is a very country-side historic place.

do you think it'll be a big difference or a different experience?

York is a great city and a good uni. Leicester is not in the same league and it's currently under lockdown because of COVID.
Original post by island232
I’d still pick York over Leicester but I have to physically hold back laughter when somebody says York is RG

Why? Slightly concerning
Leicesters not too bad a place to live and they have developed the Percy gee (i dont know when thats being finished but looks good) . It was on my daughters top 5 on her ucas form (as well as York (she ended up choosing lancaster lol )) because they do have a great astrophysics program and the department is great. Plenty of computers for computational programming, more there than I seen at other unis. And theres also a great green space on one side of campus. If she had chosen Leicester I would have preferred her to live the city halls such as opal court, nixon court, or if it was Oadby the pavillions. I've been to Leicester city a few times as its quite local to me. the Leicester Guildhall has got great character.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 26
Thanks for the quick response! I live in a city like London but much newer and I'm really nervous about the adjustment and culture shock I might get as York is a very country-side historic place.

do you think it'll be a big difference or a different experience?

They're both wayy smaller than London.

Leicester has more diversity, York is more historic.
The good thing about Leicester is that it's midlands so travelling to other cities is easy.
Also half the people in Law at in Leic are Canadians, I'm not sure how it is in York.

(I live near York but I studied in Leic for 3 years - didn't study law tho)

Why? It is simply a fact that York is a Russell Group university and Leicester is not. Whether that is of any real significance is another matter entirely.
Original post by Supermature
Why? It is simply a fact that York is a Russell Group university and Leicester is not. Whether that is of any real significance is another matter entirely.

The fact that universities like York are Russell Group while there are tens of objectively better universities that aren’t is why it isn’t of any real significance.

Though it doesn’t detract from the fact that York is both a better university and a better place to live than Leicester. Unless you’re transferring as the train station or St Margaret’s coach station, there aren’t many reasons to be there voluntarily.
The fact that universities like York are Russell Group while there are tens of objectively better universities that aren’t is why it isn’t of any real significance.

Though it doesn’t detract from the fact that York is both a better university and a better place to live than Leicester. Unless you’re transferring as the train station or St Margaret’s coach station, there aren’t many reasons to be there voluntarily.

But why do you have to physically hold yourself back from laughing? Just because there are better RGs doesn't remove York's RG status...

This is a bit of a silly comment.

Firstly, what universities are “objectively better” than York that aren’t RG?

The Russell Group is formed out of the unis which are best for research in their field; you don’t just get selected randomly. Experts at the top of their field lecture there, and York has invested a lot into Law in particular in recent years.

Though it doesn’t detract from the fact that York is both a better university and a better place to live than Leicester...

Such as?

Perhaps you could give several examples and explain why you think they are objectively better? Then we could see where York and Leicester fit into the picture.

Which are the "tens" of unis better than York for Law - accoring to you there must be at least 20 or 30?

And I'm looking forward to knowing how they are "objectively better"
(edited 3 years ago)
People saying ‘York because it is a Russel Group’ is some of the worst reasoning I have heard.

Russell groups are unis that generally have very good research facilities, which is more important when you do a post grad research masters or PhD - not an under grad law degree....

I don’t personally know which one is better as I’ve never looked at either uni (I live up north and can say York is a beautiful city but never been to Leicester so can’t really compare it), but saying ‘York because the is a RG’ is not a valid reason in my opinion. Lancaster, for example, is highly rated in many subjects but is not a RG.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Becca216
People saying ‘York because it is a Russel Group’ is some of the worst reasoning I have heard.

Russell groups are unis that generally have very good research facilities, which is more important when you do a post grad research masters or PhD - not an under grad law degree....

I don’t personally know which one is better as I’ve never looked at either uni (I live up north and can say York is a beautiful city but never been to Leicester so can’t really compare it), but saying ‘York because the is a RG’ is not a valid reason in my opinion. Lancaster, for example, is highly rated in many subjects but is not a RG.

I believe only 2 people said York because it's Russell group, most people rated York higher for other reasons.

Actually, re reading the thread, no one said York just because it's RG
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
I believe only 2 people said York because it's Russell group, most people rated York higher for other reasons.

Actually, re reading the thread, no one said York just because it's RG

I accept no one used it as the only reason, but a couple did mention it as a reason. I was just pointing out any misconceptions, as it is a common one by many students on here.
Original post by Becca216
I accept no one used it as the only reason, but a couple did mention it as a reason. I was just pointing out any misconceptions, as it is a common one by many students on here.

I agree it would be bad reasoning if it was the only reason given but as one factor to take into account.....I think it was a reasonable thing for people to say seeing as OP asked for people's opinions on Leicester and York and Law firms do tend to recruit largely from RG unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending