The Student Room Group

Would it be better to do a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by mnot
Once you’ve done 2 years at uni & placement year you’ll have learnt much more about applying for jobs, what type of jobs you want, what you need...

There are loads of different possibilities within the aerospace sector, and the path you follow can vary and you’ll start to figure this out in your 3rd year at uni

Thanks
Reply 81
Original post by mnot
Once you’ve done 2 years at uni & placement year you’ll have learnt much more about applying for jobs, what type of jobs you want, what you need...

There are loads of different possibilities within the aerospace sector, and the path you follow can vary and you’ll start to figure this out in your 3rd year at uni

Would it be disadvantageous if someone is to study Aerospace engineering at UoB even if it’s not accredited by The Royal Aeronautical Society or IMechE?
Can you still land jobs outside the aerospace field and go in to jobs that mechanical engineers are able to do?
Original post by User_3012
Would it be disadvantageous if someone is to study Aerospace engineering at UoB even if it’s not accredited by The Royal Aeronautical Society or IMechE?
Can you still land jobs outside the aerospace field and go in to jobs that mechanical engineers are able to do?

I find it quite peculiar as to why UoB got accredited by the Institute for mining, materials...
I dont think it should make a great deal of difference as presumably you can still get a CEng and the IOM3 is recognised by the Engineering Council (so a CEng from IET, IMeche, RAES, IOM3 should all be the same standard).

Id email Brum Aerospace department ask about it and see what they say specifically.
Reply 83
Original post by mnot
I find it quite peculiar as to why UoB got accredited by the Institute for mining, materials...
I dont think it should make a great deal of difference as presumably you can still get a CEng and the IOM3 is recognised by the Engineering Council (so a CEng from IET, IMeche, RAES, IOM3 should all be the same standard).

Id email Brum Aerospace department ask about it and see what they say specifically.

I think it’s because it’s a new course
I think it’s because it’s a new course

I still dont think that makes sense tho.

If your designing a new course why wouldn't you do it with the mind of getting the accreditation you want, Brum engineering will work with accreditors on a regular basis (they normally come in and update programs every 3-4 years) and will be familiar with the requirements.
if their mech-eng course was by IOM3 it would make more sense, but that course is accredited by IMeche, which is why its more peculiar.

It just seems odd to me. Then again ive never sat in a course directors chair so im sure there's things im missing.
Reply 85
Original post by mnot

Also I’d like to say does it really matter that you need to become a chartered engineer and get a CEng?
What is so good about it?
Also I’d like to say does it really matter that you need to become a chartered engineer and get a CEng?
What is so good about it?

I think there is an expectation in industry that you have an accredited degree.

Does the CEng matter?
-Depends who you ask, some companies get all their grads to get it and place a fair bit of emphasis on it.
-Others dont care at all

I would say there is no harm to having it (other then the associated admin, you do have to pay an annual membership [i think its like £120] but large employers will often do this for you).

In my mind its like a stamp of approval saying this engineer is decent, its not the only way to show this and ultimately what you achieve career wise will speak for itself more than a CEng.
Reply 87
Original post by mnot
Ultimately in a few years time you’ll have a much better feel for the industry and what you want.

Some employers require a masters for certain jobs. I did my placement for a company with a very competitive grad scheme and they required a masters in order to apply.

Original post by mnot
I think there is an expectation in industry that you have an accredited degree.

Does the CEng matter?
-Depends who you ask, some companies get all their grads to get it and place a fair bit of emphasis on it.
-Others dont care at all

I would say there is no harm to having it (other then the associated admin, you do have to pay an annual membership [i think its like £120] but large employers will often do this for you).

In my mind its like a stamp of approval saying this engineer is decent, its not the only way to show this and ultimately what you achieve career wise will speak for itself more than a CEng.

This is what the degree says about the accreditation
This is what the degree says about the accreditation

All that means is its an accredited BEng.
If you want a CEng you would need the MEng or an IOM3 MSc in addition to the BEng.
Reply 89
Original post by mnot
All that means is its an accredited BEng.
If you want a CEng you would need the MEng or an IOM3 MSc in addition to the BEng.

Can you do a BEng first then apply for the MEng to get it or do you have to apply for the MEng first?
Can you do a BEng first then apply for the MEng to get it or do you have to apply for the MEng first?

Most unis will allow you to do 2 years then decide if you want to do the BEng or MEng, but you should check before applying.
Reply 91
Original post by mnot
Most unis will allow you to do 2 years then decide if you want to do the BEng or MEng, but you should check before applying.

Does it really matter if I don’t do the MEng course?
Does it really matter if I don’t do the MEng course?

It depends what you want.

I now lots of people with BEng & MEngs (I even know quite a few who have BEng+MSc)

Its not a better/worse, its more about what you want.
Reply 93
Original post by mnot
It depends what you want.

I now lots of people with BEng & MEngs (I even know quite a few who have BEng+MSc)

Its not a better/worse, its more about what you want.

For the Mech eng course is it sufficient enough to just do a BEng to become a CEng if it is accredited by IMechE?
For the Mech eng course is it sufficient enough to just do a BEng to become a CEng if it is accredited by IMechE?

No, an accredited BEng will bring you to the academic standard of an incorporated engineer, a masters is for chartership. This is the case for all engineering council institutes.
Reply 95

All the questions you are asking the answers are easily accessible.

To be CEng you need
4 year MEng and 4 years professional engineer experience
OR
3 year BEng + 1 year MSc accredited by engineering body and 4 years professional engineer experience

All degrees must be accredited by IMechE or whichever engineering body you are seeking CEng from and they must total 4 years.

There are alternative routes such as old school engineers who may have HND and many years of professional engineering experience it is a little less straight forward to be CEng but is possible.

CEng is the U.K. equivelent to European Engineer or Professional Engineer in Europe or USA respectively.

Incorporated Engineer only requires a BEng. Have a look at The Engineering Council website it will give you more information should you require.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by mnot
No, an accredited BEng will bring you to the academic standard of an incorporated engineer, a masters is for chartership. This is the case for all engineering council institutes.

In conclusion, I’d like to say is choosing a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree fine even though I would like to work on Aircraft and aviation.
(edited 3 years ago)
In conclusion, I’d like to say is choosing a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree fine even though I do like to work on Aircraft and aviation.

yes.
Reply 98
Original post by mnot
yes.

Thanks
Reply 99
In conclusion, I’d like to say is choosing a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree fine even though I would like to work on Aircraft and aviation.

+1
I am also going this route. I will do MEng Mechanical instead, but with elective modules for aerospace.
I do this because I think that it needs until at least 2025 for the aviation sector to fully recover, and I can have other job opportunities in the meantime if it has not recovered.

Quick Reply

Latest