The Student Room Group

Revision

Anyone know any good revision strategy that have helped you achieve the best grades possible
I want to start revising but I just don’t know where to start
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks all
Reply 1
I’m going into year 11 this year when is the best time to start revising
Reply 2
I've moved this to the revision & study tips forum.

Do you know when your mock exams are? The weeks preceding those should be when you try to recap what you've done so far in GCSE. Then the next serious bout of revision can be done over easter. Also, you'll probably have some time between finishing the content in your subjects and study leave, so there'll be revision done at school
Reply 3
Active recall and spaced repetition, I wont go into too much detail since there's plenty of evidence based on these techniques but I recommend Ali Abdaal's youtube videos on these methods (search for his "how to study for exams" videos), He's a med student who did really well at Cambridge uni so you can say that it works but also works for other subjects :smile:. Personally It's really helped me and made studying more fun, effective and less time consuming, I really don't understand why it's not more talked about.

Another thing, unless revision timetables reeeaaally work for you don't bother, I realised it's more of a procrastination method than actually helpful because if you don't stick to it, you tend to feel behind. Instead use a retrospective timetable (again, Ali Abdaal has a video on how to do this) but it's a real game changer come to exam season.

hope this helps.
Original post by KarateKidK
Anyone know any good revision strategy that have helped you achieve the best grades possible
I want to start revising but I just don’t know where to start
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks all

Hey @KarateKidK!

I started revising properly for my GCSEs around February time.
I printed off the specification for the exam and used this as a guide to check off and make sure I revised over everything
I found it helpful to summarise my notes onto flash cards and go over these every now and then, by the time the exams came I could picture the flashcard in my head and remember what I needed to know
I also found it helpful to use mnemonics for case studies to jog my memory for specific points - with these even if you can remember them before you go into the exam and write them on the exam paper straight away then you can go back to them if a question comes up that requires the information

I hope these tips help and good luck!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending