The Student Room Group

Leaving Private School: Please read this

Okay simply put, I cannot afford to go to private school any more and I really want to stay for sixth form.

In hopes to make enough money, I started a dropshipping website over lockdown and made myself £50 revenue; nowhere near enough money.

I invested in the stock market; nowhere enough gains there either.

I feel like I've seriously failed myself as I have put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into my online store and I just want to cry. I sort of expected to make money from that little business venture. I honestly feel lost.

I have been at that private school for 13 years and have so many memories from there.

I do not fear going to a state school, the one I am going to is good and I am looking forward to many aspects of it.

I have no idea how you can respond to this post but I suppose I just wanted to vent.

If any of you have 30k lying around or have a way to make 15k in the next fortnight; do let me know :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Okay simply put, I cannot afford to go to private school any more and I really want to stay for sixth form.

In hopes to make enough money, I started a dropshipping website over lockdown and made myself £50 revenue; nowhere near enough money.

I feel like I've seriously failed myself as I have put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into my online store and I just want to cry. I sort of expected to make money from that little business venture. I honestly feel lost.

I have been at that private school for 13 years and have so many memories from there.

I do not fear going to a state school, the one I am going to is good and I am looking forward to many aspects of it.

I have no idea how you can respond to this post but I suppose I just wanted to vent.

If any of you have 30k lying around or have a way to make 15k in the next fortnight; do let me know :biggrin:

Hi, sorry to hear you have to move schools! I wish there was an easy or quick way to make money! Try keeping positive and hopefully your new school will be fine! Good luck with your shop as well!

Look forward and focus how you are going to get good grades.
You can make new friends, but they really wont want to hear you bleating on about private school as that will isolate you.
Hi I know how hard it can be to leave an environment that you have been in for so long. But honestly always think that 'rejection is redirection'. Being in a state school will give you a whole different perspective on life and people. You will meet more people of different backgrounds and the friends you would have never met had you stayed at private school. Also, you will be saving money as well! You can reinvent yourself and maybe get rid of any toxicity you had in your old school, perhaps from your friends or teachers. Trust the process and what life gives you - this opportunity may turn up the unexpected.
Reply 4
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, sorry to hear you have to move schools! I wish there was an easy or quick way to make money! Try keeping positive and hopefully your new school will be fine! Good luck with your shop as well!

Thank you very much, I will definitely try to keep positive
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Look forward and focus how you are going to get good grades.
You can make new friends, but they really wont want to hear you bleating on about private school as that will isolate you.

Ok, I will keep that in mind
Reply 6
Original post by bubblesrain
Hi I know how hard it can be to leave an environment that you have been in for so long. But honestly always think that 'rejection is redirection'. Being in a state school will give you a whole different perspective on life and people. You will meet more people of different backgrounds and the friends you would have never met had you stayed at private school. Also, you will be saving money as well! You can reinvent yourself and maybe get rid of any toxicity you had in your old school, perhaps from your friends or teachers. Trust the process and what life gives you - this opportunity may turn up the unexpected.

Thank you! What you have said really makes sense and has helped me put this all into perspective :biggrin:

I've been at a private school for 6 years now and I am moving to a selective state sixth form now and honestly I think it will be better than my private school. I think you should try to see what you would have missed if you had went to the private sixth form compared to the state one and by doing that you are potentially looking forward to your sixth form experience. Just make sure you don't waste these 2 years only looking at the negatives when there are a whole load of positives :smile:
If you’ve been at the same school for 13 years it’s understandable wanting to stay but think about how much going to a new school will expose you to change and open your eyes and new friends exc..
Reply 9
Original post by Maisieashley
If you’ve been at the same school for 13 years it’s understandable wanting to stay but think about how much going to a new school will expose you to change and open your eyes and new friends exc..

Very true and I really have to stay in that mindset. A main factor for me wanting to stay at the private school is that you are allowed to wear a suit of your choice, whereas the state school sixth form still makes you wear uniform and I just find it so depressing how cheap the blazer feels compared to the private school one and seems to remind me of it whenever I wear it.
Reply 10

Is your school aware of this? Maybe look into it to see if they have scholarship/bursary programs if there's still time. I know a few people at my school were given bursaries at different points if they suddenly changed financial situations.
Original post by bubblesrain

You would not be the first person to make this transition- I went to a state school all my childhood, but some joined the sixth form after private education up to and including 16.
Have you asked the school about bursaries or even flexi-payment on fees? I know some private schools are being more flexible on when fees are paid owing to the covid situation - if your family is in a position to pay at some point, just not in September, why not ask if you can make payments in smaller chunks?
Have you asked the school about bursaries or even flexi-payment on fees? I know some private schools are being more flexible on when fees are paid owing to the covid situation - if your family is in a position to pay at some point, just not in September, why not ask if you can make payments in smaller chunks?

I did scholarship exams and but I didn't get any. My school seems pretty stingy with their scholarships because even the most academic people on my year didn't get them. I looked into bursaries but they just go into too much detail and too much private information is given which my parents aren't prepared to give out unfortunately.
Original post by barnetlad
You would not be the first person to make this transition- I went to a state school all my childhood, but some joined the sixth form after private education up to and including 16.

Oh I know that I'm not the only one luckily. I actually chose a sixth form where I know people from private and grammar schools will have come from also, so it's not just me
Original post by Lb2002
Is your school aware of this? Maybe look into it to see if they have scholarship/bursary programs if there's still time. I know a few people at my school were given bursaries at different points if they suddenly changed financial situations.

I did scholarship exams and but I didn't get any. My school seems pretty stingy with their scholarships because even the most academic people on my year didn't get them. I looked into bursaries but they just go into too much detail and too much private information is given which my parents aren't prepared to give out unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending