The Student Room Group

University clearing help

If I get rejected from my firm choice but the course is in clearing can I ring and apply again through clearing. Or does it just mean I can apply for other courses.
Thanks
Original post by Zoeva123
If I get rejected from my firm choice but the course is in clearing can I ring and apply again through clearing. Or does it just mean I can apply for other courses.
Thanks

Don't risk it! If this happens call the University directly and haggle yourself onto the Course! Always try. When if comes to business like this, never take "no" as a first answer. Push it. Try alternative criteria - for instance, if you come from an area or school where not many folks usually progress to University or your parents and/or siblings haven't gone to Uni, then you can usually get in with lower or less grades that the standard entry requirements. Try, try, try again!
If you do fail to meet the conditions for your offer on results day call the uni up first thing to ask if they will consider you still as a near-miss applicant. Universities usually do take applicants who miss their offer by a grade (or sometimes more) so it's worth making sure.

However if after that they still reject you, then you will probably need to focus on your insurance choice or applying to other universities in clearing. You can call their clearing line and ask if they will accept you but it's very unlikely if they reject you in the main application they will accept you in clearing.
Original post by Zoeva123
Thanks

If its the same exact course its unlikely they'll take you.

You can call up & ask (no harm in trying) but its more than likely they will reject you; if they could have made you an offer they most likely already would have.

Other courses at the same uni could be different and you could apply for them in clearing and get a different result (obviously this will depend on how competitive the new course is, and the requirements).
Original post by TheMillHouseEdinburgh
Try, try, try again!

The only thing with this is, clearing is often first come first served.

If you get rejected on track & then on the phone, there's no point fighting a losing battle. It might be better calling up other unis offering similar courses you are still interested in and trying to get a space, some unis have limited spare spaces.
Would clarify that if you were rejected (unsuccessful on UCAS) you most likely won't be able to change their mind bar exceptional circumstances. If they wanted to let you in they would have done so already. You might be able to get onto other courses at that university via clearing. (though bear in mind they may have already considered you for alternative courses)

However if your track says conditional, you can ring them up and ask what's going on.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending