The Student Room Group

Homeless & uni?

Hi,

I’m currently ‘homeless’ and in a hostel until I get allocated a flat from the housing register.

I’m able to commute to my local university but I was wondering if anyone knows if councils still provide homeless support or housing benefit if studying at uni?

I’ll ask my housing officer for advice on Monday but I’m just wondering if anyone knows from experience what would happen?
Generally, if you’re a full-time student then you’re not entitled to benefits, because you can get a maintenance loan instead, which should cover your housing. There may be some exceptions though, I don’t know.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/can_students_claim_benefits_to_help_with_rent

This might have some more info.
Reply 2
Thank you, unfortunately my maintenance loan prediction is only the minimum amount based on my parents' income, even though they won't be supporting me whatsoever financially. I guess I'll see if there are any rooms to rent if council withdraw their help. I wonder if it'll be different if I tell the council I won't be applying for a maintenance loan?
Have you been supporting yourself for 3 years - if so then there is the whole estranged student area to investigate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending