The Student Room Group

Resit or take the offer I’ve been given

Hi, I applied for law this year at Uni of Leeds but didn’t get the grades I needed to get in. My teachers predicted me ABC and I ended up with BCC in history, psychology and maths. I am in the process of appealing my psychology grade back up to an A but well with everything going on I’ve lost all hope in this whole situation of getting the grades I deserve. I recently decided I wanted to instead go into history instead of law and received an offer from Liverpool hope for history. I really wanted to go to a Uni of to do my degree to give me the best employment prospects when I finish and feel like I wouldn’t be 100% happy going to the offered university. If I resit my psychology and history in the Autumn I feel like I could get my grades up to AAC or ABC and just don’t really know what to do and need some advice x
Original post by .amy_smithxx
Hi, I applied for law this year at Uni of Leeds but didn’t get the grades I needed to get in. My teachers predicted me ABC and I ended up with BCC in history, psychology and maths. I am in the process of appealing my psychology grade back up to an A but well with everything going on I’ve lost all hope in this whole situation of getting the grades I deserve. I recently decided I wanted to instead go into history instead of law and received an offer from Liverpool hope for history. I really wanted to go to a Uni of to do my degree to give me the best employment prospects when I finish and feel like I wouldn’t be 100% happy going to the offered university. If I resit my psychology and history in the Autumn I feel like I could get my grades up to AAC or ABC and just don’t really know what to do and need some advice x

Hello:smile: don't pick a uni course just for the sake of doing so - just to go to university.
If you want uni of Leeds, take that year out, get your grades and also try and get some money in the bank for starting. If you do a course you're not too fussed on youll probably be miserable/end up dropping out.
If its really what you want to do and the university you want to go to, just wait - don't settle 😊
Reply 2
I'm in a similar position. I could do so much better if I sit the exams, obviously, that's in the most positive case. But I've also got a decent offer through clearing from a decent uni, but...it's not the one I wanted...

Swapping from law to history is a big shift - are you sure its the correct move? Liverpool Hope is a very different uni from Leeds - again, are you sure its the correct move?

Resitting in Autumn seems more sensible since there will always be a voice in the back of your mind saying, "what if I had sat the exams, would I have gotten better grades?"
Original post by M.mcewan671
Hello:smile: don't pick a uni course just for the sake of doing so - just to go to university.
If you want uni of Leeds, take that year out, get your grades and also try and get some money in the bank for starting. If you do a course you're not too fussed on youll probably be miserable/end up dropping out.
If its really what you want to do and the university you want to go to, just wait - don't settle 😊

Thankyou so much I know I feel like I’d always have that ‘what if’ mentality if I went this year x
Original post by blursi
I'm in a similar position. I could do so much better if I sit the exams, obviously, that's in the most positive case. But I've also got a decent offer through clearing from a decent uni, but...it's not the one I wanted...

It’s such a frustrating situation isn’t it like I really want to go to university this year but I KNOW I can do better and get into a better university next year it’s just making that decision x
Original post by mike23mike
Swapping from law to history is a big shift - are you sure its the correct move? Liverpool Hope is a very different uni from Leeds - again, are you sure its the correct move?

Resitting in Autumn seems more sensible since there will always be a voice in the back of your mind saying, "what if I had sat the exams, would I have gotten better grades?"

Yeah I’m positive it’s always been an interest of mine and I was going back and forth between them when I applied in the first place but I feel like this whole situation has cemented my interest in history. I think I’m going to appeal my grades and think about resitting because I know I can do better and get to where I want to be, thankyou so much for ur advice!x
going to a “uni of” wont mean anything for job prospects at all. just make sure wherever you go and whatever you study, you’re doing it because you want to and not because you feel you have to. good luck!
Reply 8
It’s such a frustrating situation isn’t it like I really want to go to university this year but I KNOW I can do better and get into a better university next year it’s just making that decision x

Right?? It’s so frustrating, idk if I should just settle for this and get it over and done with. Or aim for better, and in my situation, I’m not sure if it’s the same for you, but it would also be a more better environment both for social aspects and studying too
(edited 3 years ago)
I would retake and get the grades you deserve. Then reapply to UCAS. History is a good degree if you want to become a solicitor after as well by doing the GDL after. I think it’s important to not let a government **** up hold you back and lesser grades than you deserve will do that.
I would retake and get the grades you deserve. Then reapply to UCAS. History is a good degree if you want to become a solicitor after as well by doing the GDL after. I think it’s important to not let a government **** up hold you back and lesser grades than you deserve will do that.

I would take a year out rather than rush into a uni I wasn't sure about.

For Law, it is worth taking a year out to improve your A level grades and you could sit them in October without it counting as resits and even have another chance in the summer if necessary, though that would count as a resit.

I know you didn't plan a year out and so it's not easy to get your head around, but I think it will be better in the long run to apply for training contracts etc with better grades. Good Luck on your appeal too :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by harrysbar
it is worth taking a year out to improve your A level grades and you could sit them in October without it counting as resits and even have another chance in the summer if necessary, though that would count as a resit.

Just a quick question, has it been confirmed by OFQUAL that October exams won't be counted as resits, or is it a case of the university themselves choosing whether they consider it a resit or not?
Original post by blursi
Just a quick question, has it been confirmed by OFQUAL that October exams won't be counted as resits, or is it a case of the university themselves choosing whether they consider it a resit or not?

As far as I know October exams won't be counted as resits but further exams taken next summer will
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
As far as I know October exams won't be counted as resits but further exams taken next summer will

Ofqual has said they would not count the first sitting of an exam as a resit. So I’m guessing if you sit your exams for the first time in summer it won’t count as a resit
Original post by UMZY42
Ofqual has said they would not count the first sitting of an exam as a resit. So I’m guessing if you sit your exams for the first time in summer it won’t count as a resit

The situation may change but some unis like LSE currently seem to be implying that they may count summer exams as "resits" since people would have had the opportunity to sit the exams in October and didn't take it. From their website:

"Candidates who are unhappy with their calculated grades received in summer 2020 will have the opportunity to 're-sit' the exam. You are expected to sit the exam as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so (i.e. Autumn 2020). We will not consider exams taken in Autumn 2020 as re-sits and you will not be disadvantaged".

Initially, that statement also mentioned Summer exams but that got removed. So where people aren't indending to do the exam at the first possible opportunity in the Autumn, it's best to check with unis directly that it won't disadvantage them.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending