The Student Room Group

Can i take A-Level French without the gcse if a native speaker?

hi so i applied to my college via email and they asked me what alevels i'd like to take a siad French German Spainish And politices would they let me if i'm close to fluency but i dont have the gcses i didnt fail i just haven't taken the exam thank
Obviously - your knowledge of french is much more valueable than a GCSE in it if you’re a native speaker
Look up the college's requirements or email them.
Reply 3
If you don't have the GCSE then they will probably want some evidence of your ability (written as well as spoken) before allowing you on the course.
Original post by Compost
If you don't have the GCSE then they will probably want some evidence of your ability (written as well as spoken) before allowing you on the course.

thank you!!!!
Original post by Compost

The Institute Francais may offer a test you can take online as evidence. Worth checking out.
Original post by james kirton
hi so i applied to my college via email and they asked me what alevels i'd like to take a siad French German Spainish And politices would they let me if i'm close to fluency but i dont have the gcses i didnt fail i just haven't taken the exam thank

Something that may be worth considering is whether you will enjoy doing an A-level in your native language when the others in the class will likely be at a rather low-level comparatively. It might be more useful to find another qualification that you can put on your CV to demonstrate your fluency, or to self-study and ask your college if they can enter you into the exam without attending all of the classes.

Also, keep in mind that some universities won't accept an A-level in your native language as one of your three A-levels for admissions.

Quick Reply

Latest