The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Anyone heard back from ICE’s MSt in Creative Writing? There will be two cohorts this time around. A first for them, apparently.
(edited 2 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 7321
Original post by zanayaka
I got an offer from PGR but I am not sure if they are proceeding with same timeline...

Congratulations!!!
If you don't mind, could you please tell me the time of your application..
Original post by Bobbybrays00
Anyone in the Mphil Social Anthropology course want to start a discord group?

Hi, when did you hear back? My application still says ‘under review by department.’
Original post by threeportdrift
Come on histmphil, you're already a historian, can you not master futurology as well? Surely you are connected to Boris and the entire covid strategy team and can tell us exactly how things are going to pan out? What are you doing in your spare time? :tongue:

I know, I know.... My disappointing lack of psychic ability is what made me settle for history in the first place...
So I've applied for the MPhil in Basic & Translational Neuroscience. While I originally was pessimistic about my chances (the acceptance rate is something stupid like 6%), I recently (27 April) had an interview that I felt went surprisingly well. I asked after the interview when they expected to inform candidates/make decisions and they said by the end of the week (i.e. by the end of the week the interview was in). I know another person who applied (we're doing undergrad together) and was told via email a week ago (5 May) that she had been waitlisted. I haven't heard anything- my portal is still on 'under review by department'. At this point I'm just wondering what to do? I don't mind waiting - the problem is that I have another offer from ICL who want me to pay a £1.5k deposit soon, and that if I do go to ICL, I'll be living in a flat with friends who have jobs in London, and want to start making a serious move on getting said flat soon, and I feel awful stringing them along with a 'well I'll probably be living with you next year but I'm not entirely certain, there's still a chance cam might take me', as I have been for months. I've found, via some digging (https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/graduate-exam-information/after-examination/degree-approval-and-conferment) that the biology degree committee meets on the 17th May - would it be worth me emailing the department a couple of days after that date if I still haven't heard anything? Or are the degree committee meeting dates different from those for admissions, and admissions ones aren't easily accessible via google? I really don't want to pester the department/admissions, but at the same time, it doesn't seem fair on my friends that they can't organise their house for next year bc I don't know what I'm doing. Any advice much appreciated!
Did anyone with an offer for the PhD in Law hear about funding?
Are masters international trust funding’s results published already? I can’t find any deadlines on the official page... maybe anyone did)
Original post by sheepycellist
So I've applied for the MPhil in Basic & Translational Neuroscience. While I originally was pessimistic about my chances (the acceptance rate is something stupid like 6%), I recently (27 April) had an interview that I felt went surprisingly well. I asked after the interview when they expected to inform candidates/make decisions and they said by the end of the week (i.e. by the end of the week the interview was in). I know another person who applied (we're doing undergrad together) and was told via email a week ago (5 May) that she had been waitlisted. I haven't heard anything- my portal is still on 'under review by department'. At this point I'm just wondering what to do? I don't mind waiting - the problem is that I have another offer from ICL who want me to pay a £1.5k deposit soon, and that if I do go to ICL, I'll be living in a flat with friends who have jobs in London, and want to start making a serious move on getting said flat soon, and I feel awful stringing them along with a 'well I'll probably be living with you next year but I'm not entirely certain, there's still a chance cam might take me', as I have been for months. I've found, via some digging (https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/graduate-exam-information/after-examination/degree-approval-and-conferment) that the biology degree committee meets on the 17th May - would it be worth me emailing the department a couple of days after that date if I still haven't heard anything? Or are the degree committee meeting dates different from those for admissions, and admissions ones aren't easily accessible via google? I really don't want to pester the department/admissions, but at the same time, it doesn't seem fair on my friends that they can't organise their house for next year bc I don't know what I'm doing. Any advice much appreciated!

It looks like this link is for current students and not for applicants - I would assume from reading this that the degree committee in this case has the role of granting current students their final qualification. I'm sure someone with experience of Cambs can confirm/correct me!

I applied end of Feb, interviewed end of March, and am still stuck on 'under review by degree committee' which has been the case since I applied on Day 1. (I'm not sure if the degree committee thing is a mistake or if the programme I applied for works together with them). I emailed for a follow up at the start of this week but haven't heard back. I feel for you as I cannot put plans into place for Sept, and like you, the later it gets, the harder it will be for me (studying part-time but can't look for jobs which are all being advertised now [education]/alternative plans cannot be put in place either!).

If you just interviewed a couple weeks ago, I would wait another couple weeks before following up.
Original post by sheepycellist

Hey - I suggest that you write Imperial an email about extending your response deadline, stating your situation. They seem to be incredibly easy to persuade - I was able to extend it twice (56 days in total) for MSc Artificial Intelligence. Good luck x
Original post by law-phd-app
Did anyone with an offer for the PhD in Law hear about funding?

Depends on which funding you are waiting to hear about? I think Trust funding has come out, if you take a look at the Trust website.
Original post by threeportdrift
Come on histmphil, you're already a historian, can you not master futurology as well? Surely you are connected to Boris and the entire covid strategy team and can tell us exactly how things are going to pan out? What are you doing in your spare time? :tongue:

I don't know why this response has to be so snarky. Of course nobody expects a definite answer to the vaccine requirement question, but some of us have to make difficult medical decisions about whether to get a vaccine in our home country that may not be accepted by Cambridge/the UK government or to forgo the vaccine until arriving in the UK and risk getting sick. And people currently living in the UK would have a better sense of the political climate around this than we would, which is why the question keeps getting asked on this thread.
Has anybody heard back on the low-income 'Opportunity' CT studentships they're running this year?
Original post by madmillerrs
I don't know why this response has to be so snarky. Of course nobody expects a definite answer to the vaccine requirement question, but some of us have to make difficult medical decisions about whether to get a vaccine in our home country that may not be accepted by Cambridge/the UK government or to forgo the vaccine until arriving in the UK and risk getting sick. And people currently living in the UK would have a better sense of the political climate around this than we would, which is why the question keeps getting asked on this thread.

They know each other and they're joking....
Original post by Sandtrooper
They know each other and they're joking....

Yes, and it's very amusing to them. Less so to the people who come to this forum and have their question turned into a joke.
Has anyone received an update from Christ’s yet regarding funding?
Original post by madmillerrs

This was brought up before and the response was to reach out to official authorities such as the local British Embassy, your Department or the University’s International Office.

To address your point, the UK has rolled out the vaccinations to its population and are currently at the age level of about 40 year olds. If the trend continues, then most people should have been offered or successfully vaccinated by September. There are also talks of vaccine passports or certification to prove that one has either successfully been vaccination or has a recent negative covid test.

I am not a medical expert, but my personal opinion would be that international students should consider safely receiving both doses of the vaccines that have been formally approved by the UK Government, if they are available and according to the formal medical guidelines. One can go to the UK Government websites to see the list of approved vaccines.

It is essential for everyone to ensure that they meet the criteria to receive the vaccine and the vaccination would not pose any risk to their health or safety. Please research before taking any vaccination.

Best.
Original post by Wired_1800
This was brought up before and the response was to reach out to official authorities such as the local British Embassy, your Department or the University’s International Office.

To address your point, the UK has rolled out the vaccinations to its population and are currently at the age level of about 40 year olds. If the trend continues, then most people should have been offered or successfully vaccinated by September. There are also talks of vaccine passports or certification to prove that one has either successfully been vaccination or has a recent negative covid test.

I am not a medical expert, but my personal opinion would be that international students should consider safely receiving both doses of the vaccines that have been formally approved by the UK Government, if they are available and according to the formal medical guidelines. One can go to the UK Government websites to see the list of approved vaccines.

It is essential for everyone to ensure that they meet the criteria to receive the vaccine and the vaccination would not pose any risk to their health or safety. Please research before taking any vaccination.

Best.

Thank you for taking the time to write this out; this is helpful and very much appreciated.
Original post by AW000
Congratulations!!!
If you don't mind, could you please tell me the time of your application..

I submitted everything in around mid Jan, got my offer in late April.
Original post by zanayaka
I submitted everything in around mid Jan, got my offer in late April.

That was fast. Congrats!
Original post by al9952
Hi, when did you hear back? My application still says ‘under review by department.’

Hey, I heard back on the 4th of February. It was under review mid January and went went to GAO by the end of January. Fingers crossed 🤞🏾 for you that it all works out!

Latest

Trending

Trending