The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For the NSAA, can you do working out on the question paper? If not, can you ask for extra paper?
Original post by Anonymous
@Peterhouse Admissions and @Christ’sAdmissions.

Is it possible for you to say whether application numbers this year are similar to last year (when I believe there was a massive surge in almost all subjects)? Or are they more in line with ‘normal’ years (eg. a slight increase on previous years, but not crazy like last year)?

There wasn't actually a massive surge in almost all subjects last year (depending, I suppose, on what you mean by massive). The following subjects received fewer applicants in 2021 than 2020:
HML
TRPR
ChemEng via engineering
MML
Classics
History
History of Art
Mathematics
(this makes 25% of subjects)

A further 6 subjects received less than 10% more applicants.

Only 4 subjects received over 30% more applications in 2021 than 2020.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aaron2578
For the NSAA, can you do working out on the question paper? If not, can you ask for extra paper?

You can do working on the question paper.
@Peterhouse Admissions and @Christ’sAdmissions.

Is it possible for you to say whether application numbers this year are similar to last year (when I believe there was a massive surge in almost all subjects)? Or are they more in line with ‘normal’ years (eg. a slight increase on previous years, but not crazy like last year)?

I can't say I'm afraid.
I feel like you could FOI this if you're very curious?

Original post by TheClaimsGuys
nah you can't because it's a current application window. To be honest @Peterhouse Admissions is probably not permitted to say either.

Absolutely this. If you were to FOI any data from the current round, you would get a reply saying that we are not able to release this data until the round is over (next August) to avoid prejudicing any current applications. Also, sending FOIs to Admissions Offices at this time of year wastes the time of Admissions Coordinators who have other things to be doing, like scheduling interviews!
Original post by Theloniouss
There wasn't actually a massive surge in almost all subjects last year (depending, I suppose, on what you mean by massive). The following subjects received fewer applicants in 2021 than 2020:
HML
TRPR
ChemEng via engineering
MML
Classics
History
History of Art
Mathematics
(this makes 25% of subjects)

A further 6 subjects received less than 10% more applicants.

Only 4 subjects received over 30% more applications in 2021 than 2020.

To be clear, when @Theloniouss refers to 2020, they mean for students who started studying in 2020 (or deferred entry in 2021) and 2021 means entry in 2021 (or deferred entry in 2022).
Original post by Theloniouss
You can do working on the question paper.

Thanks!
My college says that written work must be submitted by the 4th November, and that the opportunity to close will be by that date. Do they mean the deadline is 11:59pm 3rd November or 11:59pm 4th November?
Original post by aaron2578

I don't think you're allowed extra paper, all working has to be done on the question paper
good luck to everyone sitting the ENGAA today, wish you the best of luck!!! (and also if you're taking any other admission exams today!)
Reply 1788
Good luck to everyone doing the exams today, except ENGAA people, please do terribly so I get a place (Mwahahahaha. Just kidding. May the best applicant win! :tongue:)
Original post by Reality Check
Oh, that's something then! I think the compulsory pooling thing is probably that applicants think they've found a special 'trick'; a secret key which might open the door to the land of milk and honey which is Undergraduate Cambridge :laugh: I've seen it in previous years, but with different topics. Anything which might help you (or your parents) push your way to the front of the queue...

There is no "special trick", as we know. It's much more about keenness, intellectual curiosity, and natural talent for the subject.
Original post by Oxford Mum
There is no "special trick", as we know. It's much more about keenness, intellectual curiosity, and natural talent for the subject.

PRSOM - exactly.
Original post by ilest_troptard
Hi!
Are any of you applying to Newnham?
What course?

Hi! BioNatSci!
Original post by xxchem_nct
I've also applied for natsci at newnham!! So far have been doing past papers for the NSAA and BMAT section 2

Yay how did it go for you! Imagine how great it would be if we both got in!
Hi guys, probably an unnecessary question but did anyone get sent a confirmation email after submitting written work? I didn't get one and just want to make sure that it's actually gone through
Original post by sam?
Good luck to everyone doing the exams today, except ENGAA people, please do terribly so I get a place (Mwahahahaha. Just kidding. May the best applicant win! :tongue:)

OMG section 2 of engaa was so difficult. Section 1 was fine, but section 2 is a whole new dimension of difficulty.
Guys, my friend who applied to Emmanuel College has been told by her college that she'll know whether she has an interview by November 5th, have any other colleges said anything about this?
Original post by Sophiatoffee
Guys, my friend who applied to Emmanuel College has been told by her college that she'll know whether she has an interview by November 5th, have any other colleges said anything about this?

I applied there but didn’t get that email
Original post by phys_X_
Hi guys, probably an unnecessary question but did anyone get sent a confirmation email after submitting written work? I didn't get one and just want to make sure that it's actually gone through

I didn't get one either, should be okay!
Original post by Mr.Lunatic
OMG section 2 of engaa was so difficult. Section 1 was fine, but section 2 is a whole new dimension of difficulty.

Lmao, the complete opposite of what I found.
I did a third of section one but got all of section 2
Original post by Mr.Lunatic

facts, I cba

Latest

Trending

Trending