The Student Room Group

Preparation for sixth form

I'll be starting sixth form in just under 2 weeks, I was wondering what do I need to prepare?

1. School bag: Would a Kanken backpack be suitable? Or would I need a different bag? What bags would you recommend?

2. Stationery: I have folders, notebooks, pens, pencils and post it notes. In a few days I am going to buy highlighters and an academic diary. Is there anything else I need?

3. Advice: Obviously Sixth Form is different to High School, is there anything important that I should know? Do's and Don'ts?

4: Anything else you think is relevant to me?

Thank you in advance! Xx
Hi!! I’m going into year 13 so I can help.

1. Kanken backpack is fine :smile: even better since they have a pouch at the back (mine does at least) for your laptop if you’re taking it.

2. Sounds like you have everything you need! If your doing any maths or science subjects, you will need a calculator and ruler too though.

3. Make your notes as you go through the topics throughout the year!! It will be so difficult to cram them in later and there’s so much content so it’s good to have them. You can also read over them every now and again to make sure you don’t forget anything.

Make sure you understand everything. Your teachers most likely won’t be bugging you to make sure you understand so if you don’t understand, go and read the textbook and then ask the teacher in your free time if you still don’t understand.

Make sure you don’t fall behind! It’s so so difficult to catch up once you fall even a tiny bit behind so make sure to keep on top of it all (I learnt this the hard way). Do your homework the day you get it ideally so it’s easier to keep up and you can ask your teachers any questions about things you didn’t understand on the homework well before the lesson, which will help a lot. Also try and consolidate the work from the lessons each time after school to make sure you really understand it but that could also be done by just making your notes.

File your notes every single lesson/day. Don’t let them pile up like I have. I currently have mounds of paper I need to sort into folders and it is not fun.

I can’t think of anything else right now, but if I do, I’ll add them here :smile:

I do biology, chemistry, and maths, and I did physics in year 12 too but I’m dropping it, so if you do any of the same subjects and have any questions, feel free to ask! :smile:
Hey, I did psych bio and chem and survived currently looking to go to uni, ^ I agree with everything said however dont feel too much pressure, it is good to stay on top of your work but also work at your pace dont feel pressured or compare your notes with other people’s. Do what works best for you! Enjoy it those years were the best!! If you need help dony be afraid to ask tge teachers they’re normally very pleasant and glad to help! X
Original post by erin779
I'll be starting sixth form in just under 2 weeks, I was wondering what do I need to prepare?

1. School bag: Would a Kanken backpack be suitable? Or would I need a different bag? What bags would you recommend?

2. Stationery: I have folders, notebooks, pens, pencils and post it notes. In a few days I am going to buy highlighters and an academic diary. Is there anything else I need?

3. Advice: Obviously Sixth Form is different to High School, is there anything important that I should know? Do's and Don'ts?

4: Anything else you think is relevant to me?

Thank you in advance! Xx

Like other have said Kanken would be great. I'm thinking of buying one this year. The stationary and diary is a good idea although you'll quickly find what you do/don't want. in your bag. best thing I carry in my bag is a charger cable for my phone and laptop (if you're bringing one)

As other have said, ask for help when you need it, get into good habits quickly, keep on top of the workload/ revision. But also make time for extracurricular activities. Anything you do extra will look great in a personal statement and it can also help you to unwind.

As for the dos and don'ts:
- do ask for help
- don't waste frees doing nothing
- do give yourself goals to work through in your frees
- do come into school as much as you can (trust me you'll get more work done)
- don't leave something if you don't understand
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Hi!! I’m going into year 13 so I can help.

1. Kanken backpack is fine :smile: even better since they have a pouch at the back (mine does at least) for your laptop if you’re taking it.

2. Sounds like you have everything you need! If your doing any maths or science subjects, you will need a calculator and ruler too though.

3. Make your notes as you go through the topics throughout the year!! It will be so difficult to cram them in later and there’s so much content so it’s good to have them. You can also read over them every now and again to make sure you don’t forget anything.

Make sure you understand everything. Your teachers most likely won’t be bugging you to make sure you understand so if you don’t understand, go and read the textbook and then ask the teacher in your free time if you still don’t understand.

Make sure you don’t fall behind! It’s so so difficult to catch up once you fall even a tiny bit behind so make sure to keep on top of it all (I learnt this the hard way). Do your homework the day you get it ideally so it’s easier to keep up and you can ask your teachers any questions about things you didn’t understand on the homework well before the lesson, which will help a lot. Also try and consolidate the work from the lessons each time after school to make sure you really understand it but that could also be done by just making your notes.

File your notes every single lesson/day. Don’t let them pile up like I have. I currently have mounds of paper I need to sort into folders and it is not fun.

I can’t think of anything else right now, but if I do, I’ll add them here :smile:

I do biology, chemistry, and maths, and I did physics in year 12 too but I’m dropping it, so if you do any of the same subjects and have any questions, feel free to ask! :smile:

hey if you don’t mind me asking, what are you predicted for A level? i’m about to go into AS and i’m hoping for top grades but i’m not the type to study much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending