The Student Room Group

starting sixth form

Hello, I will be starting sixth form this September and am a little nervous. I know the workload is going to be a lot more and the content a lot tougher for the next two years. Can any current sixth formers give me any tips on how to prepare over summer and what to do during sixth form to make it a little easier? I'm doing STEM related subjects btw. Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi,
Starting sixth form is a scary idea and its natural that you feel nervous, as its a new chapter in your education. However, you'll find that you'll feel a whole lot better when you actually start; you'll most likely meet new people and teachers, and you will notice that you are treated more like an adult.
I'm a first year and I'm also doing 4 stem subjects, and I can reassure you that the workload is not as bad as some people may make out. As long as you keep on top of your work, you'll be totally fine.

During the summer, you should try your best to get to grips with all the basics you learn at GCSE, as you'll find that most of the work at sixth form is just an extension from secondary school

My advice to you for sixth form is:

Firstly, to make sure you try your best to engage in lessons, I cant stress enough how important this is. Engaging in lesson will help you understand your lesson better and it helps you remember everything you learned.

Secondly, make sure you understand everything. what I mean by this is, if there is a topic you dont particularly understand, make sure you do do your best to learn it and not procrastinate it until an exam or assessment. Dont be afraid to talk to your teachers about things you dont understand, its their job to make sure you comprehend the material.

Finally, stay organised; keep a calendar, that you can fill with important dates, due dates for homework etc. You will find that time is precious in sixth form and keeping a timetable/calendar or to-do list will help you stay on top of things.

I wish you the best next year at sixth form and I hope you find this useful. :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for the advice :smile: Would you say when you started sixth form that the first few weeks were just recaps of GCSE and learning basic content so it makes it a smoother transition? Does sixth form get tougher as you go through the year or just stays about the same? (Sorry for all the questions)
Reply 3
Original post by Frizzle16523
Hey, thanks for the advice :smile: Would you say when you started sixth form that the first few weeks were just recaps of GCSE and learning basic content so it makes it a smoother transition? Does sixth form get tougher as you go through the year or just stays about the same? (Sorry for all the questions)

Yes,
I wouldn't say its a recap exactly, but the subjects you will do at the start will be familiar to you from GCSE. They wont start with something that's totally new to you.
I felt like yes sixth form did get gradually tougher; however, if you try your best to stay on top of things you have nothing to worry about.
There is a noticeable change in the amount of workload and difficulty but you will quickly adjust to this like everyone else does. :smile:
Reply 4
ok cool thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending