The Student Room Group

Can I claim my money back through PayPal if I buy a phone and I am scammed?

I am in need of a new phone and do not want to pay £1000’s so I am thinking about buying a phone off Facebook buy and sell or Depop but they all they that u have the send the money through PayPal.
If I send the money through PayPal I can then claim it back if I don’t receive the phone or if it’s not in the advertised condition right?
I am so scared of getting scammed and do not want to waste money.
Will I be safe? Or should I just buy a new phone completely from Apple? HELP
when buying of depop DON’T do the transition externally (PayPal family and friends) instead do it through depop as your money will be protected if you are scammed. only buy off a reliable seller (apple, amazon)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am in need of a new phone and do not want to pay £1000’s so I am thinking about buying a phone off Facebook buy and sell or Depop but they all they that u have the send the money through PayPal.
If I send the money through PayPal I can then claim it back if I don’t receive the phone or if it’s not in the advertised condition right?
I am so scared of getting scammed and do not want to waste money.
Will I be safe? Or should I just buy a new phone completely from Apple? HELP

If you send the money via Paypal's friends and family function, you probably won't be able to claim it back if you were scammed: the money in this case is viewed as a gift, and PayPal has no proof that you were using that money to pay for goods. Claims are usually only successful if businesses use PayPal officially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending