The Student Room Group

Would you say British food is boring?

Like no one would come here for the food realistically...

Scroll to see replies

No.
Britain has a fascinating and diverse food heritage.
I have eaten so many tasty and very interesting examples of British cuisine.
(edited 3 years ago)
If it's made well, then it's good. But that goes for all cuisines and cultures. And people do visit/look for certain foods such as cream teas, Cornish pasties, Haggis etc. We have regional dishes and ingredients that are interesting and reflect our heritage and culture, not even considering things that we've adapted as part of our cuisine.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
No.
Britain has a fascinated and diverse food heritage.

Are you joking or being serious?
Original post by M1llionz
Are you joking or being serious?

Serious.
It’s very boring idk a british food that traditionally came from Britain that makes me want to have seconds
Reply 6
Serious.

Lol ok

I think British cuisine is tasty. Although it does depend on how well the food is cooked. Eveyone will have different methods of cooking a certain dish.
But I guess they are quite similar.
fish n chips and a packet of crisps is british food

Maybe not so exotic like Asian and Italian food I like most of all, but not really boring. English breakfast is awesome. I also would eat fish and chips.
What even classes a British food?
Reply 11
Wondering the same thing, could probs count British dishes on one hand.
Reply 12
every culture has their own traditions and for different reasons. why do English people historically eat the way they do, like root vegetables and bubble and squeak and not more fresh food or spicy food or tropical food like they do in hotter climates(?).

no British food isn't boring. it tells a different story about history, climate and sustainability. but i suppose if you grew up here you'd consider it boring. there's hardly such thing as the pub in North America so i find you guys fascinating (i'm not exaggerating :smile:).
Reply 13
Original post by Joleee
every culture has their own traditions and for different reasons. why do English people historically eat the way they do, like root vegetables and bubble and squeak and not more fresh food or spicy food or tropical food like they do in hotter climates(?).

no British food isn't boring. it tells a different story about history, climate and sustainability. but i suppose if you grew up here you'd consider it boring. there's hardly such thing as the pub in North America so i find you guys fascinating (i'm not exaggerating :smile:).

Please list these dishes, everyone saying its not boring but can’t give one example of a non-boring tasteless dish.

Who wouldn't come here for the food. In all seriousness, all the above are extremely delicious.
Reply 15
You never had a pub lunch?
I think a common theme with a lot of British dishes is letting the ingredients speak for themselves, because they can be very good individually. Good cuisine isn't just chucking spices on something and calling it a day.
Reply 16
Please list these dishes, everyone saying its not boring but can’t give one example of a non-boring tasteless dish.

bangers and mash
blood pudding
haggis
full english breakfast
sunday roast
all your pies
beef wellington

why do you think these are boring? they're not boring as i've already explained - they tell the story of the history of England. why do you think foreign food culture is more interesting?

yea its boring
Not at all, people who say it is have probably only tasted bland Toby Carvery stuff instead of stuff made from scratch using local ingredients. Obviously mass produced stuff tastes of nothing, same with curries, stir frys and other 'foreign' meals that are to be found in the frozen meal aisle.
Not knocking cheap stuff since that's all some people can afford and it is a staple of student life but it's not fair to judge a whole nation's meals based on limited experience.

Original post by Sinnoh
You never had a pub lunch?
I think a common theme with a lot of British dishes is letting the ingredients speak for themselves, because they can be very good individually. Good cuisine isn't just chucking spices on something and calling it a day.

According to some people who love to bash British dishes anything below searing your tastebuds off is bland and boring :dontknow: As you say chucking spice on things doesnt intrinsically make it more interesting. Plenty of things taste like chilli peppers and spice.
(edited 3 years ago)
No.
Britain has a fascinating and diverse food heritage.

Can you count some of these tasty British foods? I am so curious how good this cuisine really is.

Quick Reply

Latest