The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Say if someone applies to University and they are unsuccessful and so they decide to reapply the following year, can you still use your original personal statement if you are still applying for similar courses or must you do another?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yeah you still can. Its not reccommended though if you were rejected before.
You can, but maybe part of the reason they didn't accept you was because they didn't like the statement you originally sent.
You should update it with what you've done inbetween the application cycles too :yes:
Reply 184
Is there any chance of getting help in cutting my personal statement down.. I've put in all the content but its 5,300 characters with spaces :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Dr00n
Is there any chance of getting help in cutting my personal statement down.. I've put in all the content but its 5,300 characters with spaces :frown:

Hiya,

If you can try and cut it down just a *little* more (to 5,000 characters or under) we can review it in the 'personal statement help' forum (see links at the top of this forum, I'm on my iPod at the moment so can't link you). Normally we say that 5,000 is our limit size, so get it to there or thereabouts and we can give you a full review to help you cut the remaining 1,000.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dr00n

Original post by Melz0r
Hiya,

If you can try and cut it down just a *little* more (to 5,000 characters or under) we can review it in the 'personal statement help' forum (see links at the top of this forum, I'm on my iPod at the moment so can't link you). Normally we say that 5,000 is our limit size, so get it to there or thereabouts and we can give you a full review to help you cut the remaining 1,000.

Here's the link to our forum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

If you post it in there once it's under the 5000 character mark, then we'll be able to take a look at it. The closer it is to 4000 though the better as this allows us to get a better idea of what your statement is like and it means that we don't have to keep suggesting what to cut out, but can work with what you've got. As I say though, under 5000 and we should be able to review it. :smile:
We're told at school we have to talk about all our A Levels and the skills they give us.

I'm of the opinion it uses up space and is useless - Admissions tutors know what skills they give right?

Should I just mention units that are relevant and say what I enjoyed (i.e Vietnam in History for American Studies) or mention stuff like Geography and numeracy skills?

Ta
Reply 188
I'm using Microsoft Works Word instead of Microsoft Word, anyone know how to count the characters on this? :colondollar:
Original post by fimblesocks
We're told at school we have to talk about all our A Levels and the skills they give us.

I'm of the opinion it uses up space and is useless - Admissions tutors know what skills they give right?

Should I just mention units that are relevant and say what I enjoyed (i.e Vietnam in History for American Studies) or mention stuff like Geography and numeracy skills?

Ta

It's quite often teachers tell their students they must have a paragraph on their current A Level (or equivalent) subjects and the skills they give you/how they're related to your degree choice but it really isn't necessary at all. You could talk about the units/content related to the degree course and why you found them interesting and make you want to study the subject further.
Original post by CD315
I'm using Microsoft Works Word instead of Microsoft Word, anyone know how to count the characters on this? :colondollar:

Don't know if there's an action on it that counts characters but you can use a website like this, or if you have your UCAS account you can use the preview function on the personal statement section which will tell you accurately how many characters/lines you've used.
Reply 191
Original post by Ecosse_14
Don't know if there's an action on it that counts characters but you can use a website like this, or if you have your UCAS account you can use the preview function on the personal statement section which will tell you accurately how many characters/lines you've used.

Reply 192
Ok cool, thanks!
Reply 193
Hi. I'm a bit confused about the fate of my statement submission so far:

A while ago I tried to submit my statement but it was too long and too early, and some PS helpers told me to update the thread with my updated statement at a later date, marking the thread as resolved at the same time. I did so a couple of days ago, but the thread still says resolved, I've had no reply, and there's no indication that it's been marked for review or anything. What should I do? :tongue:
Original post by Arva
Hi. I'm a bit confused about the fate of my statement submission so far:

A while ago I tried to submit my statement but it was too long and too early, and some PS helpers told me to update the thread with my updated statement at a later date, marking the thread as resolved at the same time. I did so a couple of days ago, but the thread still says resolved, I've had no reply, and there's no indication that it's been marked for review or anything. What should I do? :tongue:

I'll look into it :smile:

EDIT: I'll reply in your thread in PS help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 195
How busy is the maths subforum of personal statement help? :smile:
Original post by CD315
How busy is the maths subforum of personal statement help? :smile:

There's announcements at the top of each of the four subforums showing how many statements waiting and the estimated time for a review :smile: Right now in maths: "07/08/2012 - 5 statement(s) waiting, estimated time = 4 days"
Reply 197
Original post by Potally_Tissed
There's announcements at the top of each of the four subforums showing how many statements waiting and the estimated time for a review :smile: Right now in maths: "07/08/2012 - 5 statement(s) waiting, estimated time = 4 days"

Ah I see :smile: is that 4 days from now or 4 days from I submitted it?
Original post by CD315
Ah I see :smile: is that 4 days from now or 4 days from I submitted it?

Four days from when you submitted it. It means if you submitted your statement now, we would expect to review it within four days.
Someone I know who works in infection control at the hospital has invited me into her work next week. She said that I probably won't be able to shadow her but she could show me what she does and answer questions etc. Would this be worth putting on my personal statement (for biology) since it's not actual work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending