The Student Room Group

What are university sports trials? How do they work?

And are they only for experienced players?

Thanks
Original post by issawrap

Thanks

It will vary by the university, as some may Just have ‘top level’ teams, some may have a wider variety of levels available. For example I went to Uni of York, and I would say the more ‘mainstream’ sports were slightly more competitive and high level, but some of the more unique sports were very open to beginners!

However, the reality is that uni is a great place to try a sport you’ve never done, so you don’t really lose anything by going to trials for sports you’re interested in! Plus, it’s a great way to meet people with common interests (even if you don’t get in) :smile:

Thanks

University teams might run a lot of sides, 1sts to 3rds, 4ths, perhaps 5th team for something popular like football, hocky and rugby so there are usually plenty of places going for freshers and trials are all about letting the new guys and girls show what they have got. Get some fitness training in ahead of time so you are not the one having a chuck at the side of the pitch after the 1st half hour :smile:. From experience, university rugby for example is a really fast high fitness game. Trials are also a bit of a social bonding session to kick things off for the next year and let you meet the old guard and coaches.

That said, this October is likely to be very strange, particularly for things like contact sports.

Thanks

There are different levels of sports clubs. If you want to play for the university team then you will need to be very good - county standard. If you want to play for your department or your halls of residence then you don't need to be that good.

The trials will ask candidates to carry out some basic operations from the sport. Thus for football, 5 or 6-aside matches will be played with the captain and vice-captain looking on to select people for their squad. If you are crap you will be cut straight away. If you have potential you will be asked back to the practice sessions where you will be observed playing 11-aside over a few weeks. Again, if there are better players then you may be selected for the reserves or be cut.

There are plenty of chances to play for a team - at your level. I only play slob football so only ever made it to the halls of residence team. Honestly, I was that hung over most Sundays, I did not make it to half the matches. Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending