The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

I do not want to go to KCL or uni

I wanna stay in 6th form,....i am scared....i am really scared
Hey I'm about to go into my second year of studying at KCL and honestly I was TERRIFIED of it, I was worried about being lost, about moving around in London and about the people there. But throughout my first year I haven't had a single bad experience. My main worry was the social aspect of it as I can get pretty awkward and find it hard to make friends. But, I found that joining societies has been a great way to meet people and make new friends so you should probably give that a go. In terms of sixth form, I personally hated mine and starting uni has been a great relief and I haven't looked back since, in terms of both friendships and especially the study. A levels have DRAINED me and uni work has so far been much more relaxed and easier to handle. But overall I would say the way you are feeling is completely normal and there are different people at KCL you can speak to about your feelings and they may be a bit more useful at finding solutions. Their student services team in particular has helped me with settling in in London
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I'm about to go into my second year of studying at KCL and honestly I was TERRIFIED of it, I was worried about being lost, about moving around in London and about the people there. But throughout my first year I haven't had a single bad experience. My main worry was the social aspect of it as I can get pretty awkward and find it hard to make friends. But, I found that joining societies has been a great way to meet people and make new friends so you should probably give that a go. In terms of sixth form, I personally hated mine and starting uni has been a great relief and I haven't looked back since, in terms of both friendships and especially the study. A levels have DRAINED me and uni work has so far been much more relaxed and easier to handle. But overall I would say the way you are feeling is completely normal and there are different people at KCL you can speak to about your feelings and they may be a bit more useful at finding solutions. Their student services team in particular has helped me with settling in in London

Thanks for the reassurance xxx
You will learn to love university when you start working. Trust me...
I was in the. exact same boat as you when I started my first year at KCL. Im currently starting my second year and trust me, the uni is amazing. All the staff I have encountered have been amazing and really eased the transition between sixth form and university. Freshers week was amazing and it'll help you meet new people who have similar interests that you do. I must admit, coming from Romford, it was hard getting used to London but you get it quick enough, definitely by the end of your first semester.

The university has some amazing support networks including free GP services for all students as well as counselling if you're finding it hard to cope mentally.

What course are you going to be studying?
Reply 5
Original post by Charlie101998
I was in the. exact same boat as you when I started my first year at KCL. Im currently starting my second year and trust me, the uni is amazing. All the staff I have encountered have been amazing and really eased the transition between sixth form and university. Freshers week was amazing and it'll help you meet new people who have similar interests that you do. I must admit, coming from Romford, it was hard getting used to London but you get it quick enough, definitely by the end of your first semester.

The university has some amazing support networks including free GP services for all students as well as counselling if you're finding it hard to cope mentally.

What course are you going to be studying?

I am studying Religion Philosophy and Ethics but I am really scared and shy.
I am so scared and homesick. I already am so sick of freshers, and I´m really shy, all the people in my accommodation are really confident and like to party. I just want to meet people who like to do stuff in the day. I can't wait until the course actually starts so things calm down.
Reply 7
I am so scared and homesick. I already am so sick of freshers, and I´m really shy, all the people in my accommodation are really confident and like to party. I just want to meet people who like to do stuff in the day. I can't wait until the course actually starts so things calm down.

You are just like me!!! What accomodation are you at? I am at angel lane
You are just like me!!! What accomodation are you at? I am at angel lane

I´m in Garden Halls doing History and Spanish, its so nice to hear that I´m are feeling the same way. I went home yesterday to pick up some things and felt so homesick. The people are friendly enough, but love to party and are very confident.
Reply 9
Original post by oobleck123
This is my profile if you ever need to talk, I know that its difficult to find people to rant to.

Awww thank you :smile:

Do you share a kitchen, if you are How are you dealing with sharing it? I hate having to make small talk every time I want to cook :frown:
Do you share a kitchen, if you are How are you dealing with sharing it? I hate having to make small talk every time I want to cook :frown:

Fortunately, I am catered, but even with dinner, I feel so out of place and fake while making conversation with people. They outwardly seem as if they have much more experience and are very confident, so it is quite overwhelming. I'm quite a nerdy person, and always had a small group of close friends, so the amount of people in here is quite a shock.

How are you dealing with freshers? have you been out with people? personally, I'm not a drinker and I really hope that societies start up so I can meet people outside of the clubs.
How are you dealing with freshers? have you been out with people? personally, I'm not a drinker and I really hope that societies start up so I can meet people outside of the clubs.

I'm not a drinker either, so same as you I'm hoping to meet other people in societies that are more calmer and not as into partying and all that

how are you feeling now? Were you able to make friends? I'm in my first year of UCL although I did sort of take a gap year, but I'm also really shy and awkward and have been finding it really hard to talk to people and make friends

Quick Reply

Latest