The Student Room Group

Geography NEA {} A Level

So, I'm starting my geography NEA soon and I'm not sure what to do it on. Has anyone got any advice/ideas/tips on what I should do?

Thanks!
I completely forgot about geo NEA. Makes me want to cry! I don't even really understand what it is tbh
Original post by Geog2002
So, I'm starting my geography NEA soon and I'm not sure what to do it on. Has anyone got any advice/ideas/tips on what I should do?

Thanks!

I'm in year 13 and because of corona we've only just started ours.

Lots of people are doing topics based off of changing places - homogenisation of the high street and regeneration etc. They're both pretty easy to get data for as you can send out surveys or put them on public facebook groups and get a lot of individual opinions from that. High streets and urban areas are also really easy places to do data collection as there are lots of primary fieldwork techniques like bi-polar surveys, land use surveys and counting cars.

One thing I would say is the sooner you decide on a question and the more the topic you work around interests you, the easier the project will be.
Our teachers haven't talked about NEA once. I don't really get what it is or what we have to do. Could you explain it to me, please? X
Original post by Geog2002

Thanks!

Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Our teachers haven't talked about NEA once. I don't really get what it is or what we have to do. Could you explain it to me, please? X

The NEA is an independent investigation. It'll be like the fieldwork that you did at GCSE but this time round, you'll need to plan the investigation yourself. Whichever exam board you're doing, you should be able to find some examples from past students.

Your fieldwork should be based on a topic that you already cover as part of your syllabus, e.g. regeneration/coasts/globalisation. At my school, you could choose coasts/regeneration. You come up with your own question, might be something about impacts of coastal erosion on the environment/the local economy/ effectiveness of coastal defences. Or how far has regeneration been successful in area x? How far has rebranding impacted the reputation of area y?

Once you've come up with your question, you go out to complete your fieldwork study using whatever methods are appropriate for the topic you've chosen. So you might do a survey or a longshore drift experiment. Afterwards, you write up your findings in a report. And that's it! Job done.
Original post by neko no basu
The NEA is an independent investigation. It'll be like the fieldwork that you did at GCSE but this time round, you'll need to plan the investigation yourself. Whichever exam board you're doing, you should be able to find some examples from past students.

Your fieldwork should be based on a topic that you already cover as part of your syllabus, e.g. regeneration/coasts/globalisation. At my school, you could choose coasts/regeneration. You come up with your own question, might be something about impacts of coastal erosion on the environment/the local economy/ effectiveness of coastal defences. Or how far has regeneration been successful in area x? How far has rebranding impacted the reputation of area y?

Once you've come up with your question, you go out to complete your fieldwork study using whatever methods are appropriate for the topic you've chosen. So you might do a survey or a longshore drift experiment. Afterwards, you write up your findings in a report. And that's it! Job done.

Thank you so much; that was really helpful! What grade did you get for yours?

We have started it now and I need to find a topic to do with carbon or hydrology. Have you got any ideas about what I could base it on?
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Thank you so much; that was really helpful! What grade did you get for yours?

We have started it now and I need to find a topic to do with carbon or hydrology. Have you got any ideas about what I could base it on?

Hmm I'm sorry I did my coursework on regeneration and people who did physical did theirs on coasts so I don't really know :frown:

Well I was yr 13 last year so we didn't get told our NEA marks but I got an A* in geography overall :h:
Original post by neko no basu
Hmm I'm sorry I did my coursework on regeneration and people who did physical did theirs on coasts so I don't really know :frown:

Well I was yr 13 last year so we didn't get told our NEA marks but I got an A* in geography overall :h:

Oh ok makes sense. Thank you anyway

Congratulations!!!!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest