The Student Room Group

Economics personal statement

I take maths bio and chem A levels and I want to apply for economics, what do I say on my personal statement to why I decided to do chem and bio?

Initially, I wanted to do med but now changed my mind but I also want to sound like a student that has their sh*t together and knows what she wants to do?

Most people that do eco do things like further maths, econ and maths ( physics as well sometimes) and here i am applying to a competitive uni for econ with bio and chem as my a levels. I wanna show them I am serious about this but I dont know how to write it down on paper?
(edited 3 years ago)
What are your other A Levels? Like do you have a 3rd (or even a 4th), or do you just take bio & chem?
Tbh, as long as you take Maths, you don't have to explain your other subject choices in your PS, as A Level Mathematics is the only specific subject requirement.
Original post by confuzzledteen
What are your other A Levels? Like do you have a 3rd (or even a 4th), or do you just take bio & chem?
Tbh, as long as you take Maths, you don't have to explain your other subject choices in your PS, as A Level Mathematics is the only specific subject requirement.

OP mentioned they take Maths, Biology and Chemistry in their post.

True but I feel like I should mention it in some way like maybe saying it helps with slow-motion multitasking?
And yes I am doing maths as well
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh sorry! I completely read over maths haha :colondollar: And I guess you could, but from my experience, Economics Personal Statements usually have to be quite academic so you'd probably make better use of your 4000 characters by choosing to focus on actual Economics rather than why you took the A Levels that you did. Rather than focusing on why you took bio & chem, I think that it'd make more sense to instead talk about things you've done to expand your knowledge on Economics (given you didn't take the A Level), e.g. MOOCs, further reading, online lectures (the University of Warwick ran a great one this year, it was a 4-week taster course about Game Theory).. And to compensate for your lack of Further Maths, again don't say why you didn't take it (as it isn't an official requirement anyway, it's just preferred by the top unis) but focus on what you've done to develop your Mathematical abilities, whether it be by participating in UKMT Maths Challenges or doing a Maths CCA or something. Hope this helps
Oh sorry! I completely read over maths haha :colondollar: And I guess you could, but from my experience, Economics Personal Statements usually have to be quite academic so you'd probably make better use of your 4000 characters by choosing to focus on actual Economics rather than why you took the A Levels that you did. Rather than focusing on why you took bio & chem, I think that it'd make more sense to instead talk about things you've done to expand your knowledge on Economics (given you didn't take the A Level), e.g. MOOCs, further reading, online lectures (the University of Warwick ran a great one this year, it was a 4-week taster course about Game Theory).. And to compensate for your lack of Further Maths, again don't say why you didn't take it (as it isn't an official requirement anyway, it's just preferred by the top unis) but focus on what you've done to develop your Mathematical abilities, whether it be by participating in UKMT Maths Challenges or doing a Maths CCA or something. Hope this helps

Omg you're amazing thank you!
Original post by curiousperson123
Omg you're amazing thank you!

No worries! :smile: Also, if you are still really keen about somehow linking your current A Level subjects to economics, you could always focus on certain aspects of them. I wasn't able to include this in my PS as I didn't have space, but my chemistry teacher told me that he wrote in my reference that I'm particularly good at the analytical quantitative aspects of chem (e.g. calculations, ability to pick relevant data & analyze it in order to answer questions, etc.) and this does link to economics as you'd need those skills when pursuing a degree in econ. Might help you to maybe write something similar in your PS, or ask your teacher to add something along those lines to your reference?

Btw, are you applying to Econ for 2021 Entry?
No worries! :smile: Also, if you are still really keen about somehow linking your current A Level subjects to economics, you could always focus on certain aspects of them. I wasn't able to include this in my PS as I didn't have space, but my chemistry teacher told me that he wrote in my reference that I'm particularly good at the analytical quantitative aspects of chem (e.g. calculations, ability to pick relevant data & analyze it in order to answer questions, etc.) and this does link to economics as you'd need those skills when pursuing a degree in econ. Might help you to maybe write something similar in your PS, or ask your teacher to add something along those lines to your reference?

Btw, are you applying to Econ for 2021 Entry?

Thank you so much and yes I am applying for the 2021 entry :smile:
Thank you so much and yes I am applying for the 2021 entry :smile:

Oo, which uni's are you aiming for?
I'm applying for Econ 2021 entry too x
Oo, which uni's are you aiming for?
I'm applying for Econ 2021 entry too x

London ones like LSE UCL and I'm not sure about the rest warwick is good and KCL maybe but I am certain with LSE and UCL
Ooo good luck btw :five:
(edited 3 years ago)
London ones like LSE UCL and I'm not sure about the rest warwick is good and KCL maybe but I am certain with LSE and UCL
Ooo good luck btw :five:

Oh cool, same here! LSE, UCL, Warwick.. KCL I didn't apply to but they run a great course. Best of luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest