The Student Room Group

Does a masters replace the undergraduate degree?

I wasn’t sure how to phrase this question but say you do an UG degree at a Russell group university and then do a masters at Cambridge. Will it have the same status as doing an undergraduate at Cambridge/have the same status as ‘graduated at Cambridge’. Sorry for the stupid question.
Original post by SZ159
I wasn’t sure how to phrase this question but say you do an UG degree at a Russell group university and then do a masters at Cambridge. Will it have the same status as doing an undergraduate at Cambridge/have the same status as ‘graduated at Cambridge’. Sorry for the stupid question.

Doing a Masters degree at Cambridge without doing your undergrad there will get you either a Master of Studies (MASt) for mainly taught courses, or Master of Philosophy (MPhil) for mainly research-based courses. Both of these count as "graduating from Cambridge" if you achieve them.

However, you will not receive the Master of Arts (MA) which is normally conferred on people who do the Bachelors (undergraduate) course four years after graduation. See further info here. https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/graduation-and-what-next/cambridge-ma
Original post by SZ159

While yes it is super easy to get into oxbridge at postgrad level, Im not really sure why you would want to considering how expensive it is.
Unlike with undergrad the government has no control over how much unis are allowed to charge for postgrad courses (they are not capped at £9250 per year)

According to two of my friends (one attending oxford and the other a cambridge graduate); Postgrad courses at oxbridge tend to be full of rich but thick international students (which is also the consensus hinted by tutors).
Original post by Fredericks1
While yes it is super easy to get into oxbridge at postgrad level, Im not really sure why you would want to considering how expensive it is.
Unlike with undergrad the government has no control over how much unis are allowed to charge for postgrad courses (they are not capped at £9250 per year)

According to two of my friends (one attending oxford and the other a cambridge graduate); Postgrad courses at oxbridge tend to be full of rich but thick international students (which is also the consensus hinted by tutors).

I found this article interesting https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/22/oxford-scholarships-should-be-for-the-poorest-not-just-the-brightest#:~:text=Oxford%20is%20among%20the%20most,postgraduate%20degree%20in%20the%20UK.&text=in%20financial%20economics.-,In%202019%2F20%2C%20a%20one%2Dyear%20full%2Dtime,and%20%C2%A311%2C460%20at%20Cambridge.
Original post by SZ159

Sorry for the nonsense above! But it is a bit of a daft question - because there are obviously no rules on this and it's a matter of any individual's judgement really. Your Grandma and your Mum and probably your neighbours will think you are a genius and use a PG degree from Cambridge as clear evidence that you are the next Hawking/Einstein/Franklin etc. Most people will presume you are in the brightest 1% of whatever. Most employers will take a positive note that you are bright, if they are looking for bright people. Some employers couldn't care less. Status is in the eye of the beholder, I'm sure on balance a PG degree from Cambridge is seen as a positive (from personal experience), but that doesn't mean the individual you want to impress with it will be impressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending