The Student Room Group

Eligibility for a Masters degree loan

Hi, I am due to finish my last (3rd) year of my undergraduate biomedical sciences degree at KCL. However, I retook first year due to problems with covid. I therefore would have paid 4 years of student finance rather than 3 when i get my degree. I am interested in applying for a masters degree in Pharmacology. Will i be able to get a student loan to cover the fee? I heard somewhere that there is a rule of three years plus an extra year, but does this include postgraduate degrees too? I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable or with experience in this topic can assist me. Thank you very much.
Original post by val3ntinos
Hi, I am due to finish my last (3rd) year of my undergraduate biomedical sciences degree at KCL. However, I retook first year due to problems with covid. I therefore would have paid 4 years of student finance rather than 3 when i get my degree. I am interested in applying for a masters degree in Pharmacology. Will i be able to get a student loan to cover the fee? I heard somewhere that there is a rule of three years plus an extra year, but does this include postgraduate degrees too? I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable or with experience in this topic can assist me. Thank you very much.

Hi there,

Can you please provide some information regarding the Post Graduate course please? What university will you be attending? How long is the course? What is the name of the course? When would you be looking to start? Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

Can you please provide some information regarding the Post Graduate course please? What university will you be attending? How long is the course? What is the name of the course? When would you be looking to start? Thanks, Ross

Hi, I would be looking to start in September/October 2024, so immediately after i graduate at Kings with my undergraduate degree. Regarding the exact details of the course, i cannot provide these as I have not applied yet. The masters would most likely be a 1 year course and would ideally be an MSc in Pharmacology preferably at a London Uni.
Reply 3
Hi, I would be looking to start in September/October 2024, so immediately after i graduate at Kings with my undergraduate degree. Regarding the exact details of the course, i cannot provide these as I have not applied yet. The masters would most likely be a 1 year course and would ideally be an MSc in Pharmacology preferably at a London Uni.

I am asking this in advance of me applying to my desired choices as I would ideally need to know whether it could be funded or not. I have searched online and I couldn't really find a definitive answer

Hi there, course details for the 24/25 Academic Year are not fully available yet and applications will be going live later this year around April time. If you have never studied a Masters course before or had a Masters qualification then you would be eligible for the support.

With Masters funding their is no Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loan, it is just a contribution of total costs. At this moment in time we do not have the Loan amounts for the 24/25 Academic Year available. Thanks, Ross
Reply 5
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there, course details for the 24/25 Academic Year are not fully available yet and applications will be going live later this year around April time. If you have never studied a Masters course before or had a Masters qualification then you would be eligible for the support.

With Masters funding their is no Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loan, it is just a contribution of total costs. At this moment in time we do not have the Loan amounts for the 24/25 Academic Year available. Thanks, Ross

What do you mean by contribution of total costs? Could you explain it? Also on https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility, what does it mean when it says 'You will not get extra money if you repeat a year of your course'. Thanks.
What do you mean by contribution of total costs? Could you explain it? Also on https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility, what does it mean when it says 'You will not get extra money if you repeat a year of your course'. Thanks.

Hi there,

This means that the Masters Loan is paid to yourself, so it's entirely up to you to decide how to use it. Unlike with undergraduate funding we don't pay anything to your university.

The part about repeating the year just means that, if you need to repeat a year, you don't get any additional funding. Your entitlement will remain the same.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending