The Student Room Group

Doing a masters without completing undergrad

I am at the end of my undergrad degree, but due to some recent health issues I do not think I will be able to complete it. I have various pierces of coursework to do on top of a 10k word dissertation that I’m only 25% of the way through. I would be fine with deferring and graduating in winter but I am due to start a Masters course at this same university in October. It may differ from uni to uni and between different courses, but does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Is it possible to start a masters without technically finishing your undergrad? If I was to defer, I’d have to complete my undergrad work in the summer, meaning the work for both degrees doesn’t overlap. I am really struggling and any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
In this situation I'd talk to your Uni - qualification for the postgrad, probably depends on the sucessful completion of your undergrad.

Can you defer your postgrad for a year to allow you to complete your degree?
Original post by bevan47
I am at the end of my undergrad degree, but due to some recent health issues I do not think I will be able to complete it. I have various pierces of coursework to do on top of a 10k word dissertation that I’m only 25% of the way through. I would be fine with deferring and graduating in winter but I am due to start a Masters course at this same university in October. It may differ from uni to uni and between different courses, but does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Is it possible to start a masters without technically finishing your undergrad? If I was to defer, I’d have to complete my undergrad work in the summer, meaning the work for both degrees doesn’t overlap. I am really struggling and any advice would be appreciated.

Your offer for the masters degree will almost certainly be contingent on you graduating from the undergraduate degree, if it's within the UK.

Also you likely wouldn't be able to defer your submissions and start the masters, as normally they require you to have fully completed and graduated from your degree before a set time in the summer and to have received confirmation of this - you can't be enrolled in two degrees at the same time.

If deferring your undergraduate submissions is necessary to complete the degree you would probably need to discuss with the masters degree providers if you can defer entry for a year. Note though that this is generally somewhat less common for masters courses than undergraduate degrees so it's quite possible they will say no.
It will be hardly possible unless you have extraordinary achievements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending