The Student Room Group

sorted

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Napp
Why dont you report them to the police?

I have no idea if itll help in your circumstances but i had a friend who fell into a similar situation (listing phantom items on his ebay account for the fraudster) and several thousand pounds were involved. However, he reported it all to the police and since it was confirmed he was but a victim, if a stupid one, there was no mark placed on his account for it. Again, no idea if it applies in your circumstances but might be worth looking into?

OP isn't a victim.
Original post by 999tigger
If youd bothered to read the thread then they said they had tried Monzo in the beginning. Big difference of someone who has just had the cifas placed there v someone who where it only has a year to run.

As someone said they changed it recently - not my
Problem to keep updated on it
Reply 42
Original post by TallyBridget19
As someone said they changed it recently - not my
Problem to keep updated on it

Doesn't really matter does it?

@999tigger pointed out that the OP mentioned Monzo had already rejected them. Why would you, after reading about the rejection, recommend the OP try Monzo.......
Reply 43
Original post by IWMTom
Doesn't really matter does it?

@999tigger pointed out that the OP mentioned Monzo had already rejected them. Why would you, after reading about the rejection, recommend the OP try Monzo.......

I doubt they bothered to read, just left their comment.
Reply 44
Original post by Bio 7
I doubt they bothered to read, just left their comment.

Oh yes I know fine well that's the case, just calling it out! :P
Original post by KawsarAhm
Hi. I am a 17-year-old student in a very severe situation.

Around August (during lockdown) these twins that used to come to my secondary told me that they would need to place in a large sum of their personal money into my account for a while. In return, I would get some money back. They just required my details in which I handed in. (At this time I was pretty new to banking and using online banking and all of that. Still kind of am) The first time I did it was with a friend and it was successful. Idk we were just both in need of money. we both had a clean £200 each. The second time was not so successful. I was told to meet up with someone in Westfield and I gave the guy my Santander card. We confirmed that we were both sent by the twins. Cool, that's done. I was told to not use my account for a while. I was given a number by one of the twins and the person on the other end started to message me. They told me to log into my account and it was blocked. They started to stop messaging until I asked if I should contact the bank. They said no as this whole thing was illegal which caused me to panic.

I then went into a Santander branch to find out that my account was blocked and I am now unable to bank with them again. They explained that the person was carrying out fraud. I've tried to apply to Natwest who have rejected me. I have then tried to apply for Monzo which refused me due to fraud. To this day (On Snapchat) the twins are still posting and luring in people through their stories and its pretty obvious that they're making a lot of money. I still have the texts and number that belongs to the plug but idk if it was a burner or something. I have no idea what to do. Any sort of help would be good.

will no bank accept me at all? I am in need of a bank account. I am going to uni after A-levels and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a bank account.

Did somebody get hurt real bad today? :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Try metro bank I think they’ll accept you
Reply 47
Original post by trbx
Try metro bank I think they’ll accept you

On what basis do you think this?
Reply 48
big news guys. Firstly, thanks for all your help and I appreciate it. Big time. Idk the stress was the maddest thing.
just came back from school too

During our sixth form break, I approached one of the head of years or something idrk but he was one of the lighter-hearted guys. Pretty nice. I explained my situation and he understood. I told him about the stress and how I couldn't apply for any banking. he said cool don't worry i understand completely and that the school had reaaaalllyyy good lawyers. He said I should chill for now and i went to my maths class.

I was called out three times. The first time was by a year care team and he was pretty cool about it. He said I was stupid for doing it but her understands completely bcs he did it too. I explained the CIFAS mark thing to him and he said it should pass. It's cool. he was just checking up tbh
the second time was my years care team where she wanted the whole story. I explained it to her
Another care team had again called me out and yet again I explained the story.

i was then taken down to the headteachers office and i explained the story. She didn't believe me at first but i sat there for a good hour explaining it to her. The first initial head of year i spoke to pretty much vouched for me. She yelled at me and laughed a bit saying i was thick and etc but she said she could try call her bank and call her assistant to see what she could try to do. She explained how the money laundering worked and she told me that if there was anyone of my friends involved...i should tell her then and there

My friend was bought down (one of my closest mates who made the £700) and two of my other friends after. Three of us (including me) most likely has the CIFAS marker because we couldn't sign up for a bank.
she yelled at us again and she sent us out so she could figure something out. We all sat in the library and wrote statements. DUring lockdown, all of us had been holding the twins money
My closer friend and i had proof of the twins via saved messages on snap and messages. He had bank statements which were recorded which was the most vital evidence

the initial head of year guy told me that everything would be alright and that we should be fine as long as all of us were telling the truth. Loads of calls had been made and a lot of paperwork too.
our stories matched up

The police would be called on Tuesday at 9AM and the four of us would have to meet with them where they would take in our evidence and begin to take action against the twins from there.

My parents are pissed but whats done has been done.

Your school's lawyers have nothing to do with this. You're not going to get the CIFAS marker removed.
Open an account with renovare, they don’t carry out CIFAS checks but you have to pay £7.99 monthly.
My issue is why let people who aren't in regular contact with put money in your bank account? Also why the heck would you give your debit card to ANYONE other than trusted family members or anyone full stop?
You got to tell your parents. These guys are basically sending criminal money (most likely from drug dealing or theft) through to their main accounts using your clean account. They are criminals, I don’t know if you’re in a good position to report them to the police because if someone finds out you did that then you’d be in big danger.
If this is a true story you need to get a Lawyer if you dont have much money you might get legal aid and you need to talk with your parents regards this matter you have broke the law on a few counts you can talk with the police as well ?
big news guys. Firstly, thanks for all your help and I appreciate it. Big time. Idk the stress was the maddest thing.

During our sixth form break, I approached one of the head of years or something idrk but he was one of the lighter-hearted guys. Pretty nice. I explained my situation and he understood. I told him about the stress and how I couldn't apply for any banking. he said cool don't worry i understand completely and that the school had reaaaalllyyy good lawyers. He said I should chill for now and i went to my maths class.

I was called out three times. The first time was by a year care team and he was pretty cool about it. He said I was stupid for doing it but her understands completely bcs he did it too. I explained the CIFAS mark thing to him and he said it should pass. It's cool. he was just checking up tbh
the second time was my years care team where she wanted the whole story. I explained it to her

i was then taken down to the headteachers office and i explained the story. She didn't believe me at first but i sat there for a good hour explaining it to her. The first initial head of year i spoke to pretty much vouched for me. She yelled at me and laughed a bit saying i was thick and etc but she said she could try call her bank and call her assistant to see what she could try to do. She explained how the money laundering worked and she told me that if there was anyone of my friends involved...i should tell her then and there

My friend was bought down (one of my closest mates who made the £700) and two of my other friends after. Three of us (including me) most likely has the CIFAS marker because we couldn't sign up for a bank.
she yelled at us again and she sent us out so she could figure something out. We all sat in the library and wrote statements. DUring lockdown, all of us had been holding the twins money
My closer friend and i had proof of the twins via saved messages on snap and messages. He had bank statements which were recorded which was the most vital evidence

the initial head of year guy told me that everything would be alright and that we should be fine as long as all of us were telling the truth. Loads of calls had been made and a lot of paperwork too.
our stories matched up

The police would be called on Tuesday at 9AM and the four of us would have to meet with them where they would take in our evidence and begin to take action against the twins from there.

This is so funny. Made my day. Had a good laugh at your expense OP!

Hope your school’s lawyers are able to help you and your mates get the CIFAS removed.
Original post by Mustafa0605
You got to tell your parents. These guys are basically sending criminal money (most likely from drug dealing or theft) through to their main accounts using your clean account. They are criminals, I don’t know if you’re in a good position to report them to the police because if someone finds out you did that then you’d be in big danger.

OP is a fraudster. He admitted he knew what was happening was wrong but dod it anyway cos the criminals incentivised then with dosh. He is culpable and criminal too imo. Maybe the school and cops will let them off lightly for being kids.

our stories matched up

For what its worth, I hope your school can help pull enough stuff together that the 'twins' get picked off & your CIFAS marker removed.
TBH my impression is these are very hard to remove, and given you enabled them access this probably won't happen.

At first I thought you were thick and perhaps a little greedy & this greed was exploited.

Now I just think you are genuinely just very naive. Well hopefully this gets sorted, either way a big life lesson here for you. If you want to please keep us updated as I'm quite intrigued to see how this plays out. Good luck.

(side note your mum also needs to be in the discussion with the school as it is a joint account, she needs as much protection as you do).
Original post by IWMTom
Your school's lawyers have nothing to do with this. You're not going to get the CIFAS marker removed.

He should get a prepaid card or a credit union account cifas is nearly impossible to remove
Hi. I am a 17-year-old student in a very severe situation.

Around August (during lockdown) these twins that used to come to my secondary told me that they would need to place in a large sum of their personal money into my account for a while. In return, I would get some money back. They just required my details in which I handed in. (At this time I was pretty new to banking and using online banking and all of that. Still kind of am) The first time I did it was with a friend and it was successful. Idk we were just both in need of money. we both had a clean £200 each. The second time was not so successful. I was told to meet up with someone in Westfield and I gave the guy my Santander card. We confirmed that we were both sent by the twins. Cool, that's done. I was told to not use my account for a while. I was given a number by one of the twins and the person on the other end started to message me. They told me to log into my account and it was blocked. They started to stop messaging until I asked if I should contact the bank. They said no as this whole thing was illegal which caused me to panic.

I then went into a Santander branch to find out that my account was blocked and I am now unable to bank with them again. They explained that the person was carrying out fraud. I've tried to apply to Natwest who have rejected me. I have then tried to apply for Monzo which refused me due to fraud. To this day (On Snapchat) the twins are still posting and luring in people through their stories and its pretty obvious that they're making a lot of money. I still have the texts and number that belongs to the plug but idk if it was a burner or something. I have no idea what to do. Any sort of help would be good.

will no bank accept me at all? I am in need of a bank account. I am going to uni after A-levels and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a bank account.

You have a cifas marker bad news it last for 6 years for now get a prepaid card or credit union account or stick with cash
(edited 3 years ago)
Why would your head teacher call her bank? What are they going to do?
Reply 59

our stories matched up

Most of that seems fictional to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending