The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Question for anyone doing MORSE

Hey just got a couple of questions for MORSErs

1) Which calculator is best to use? The MORSE handbook says that calculators which can accept alphabetical data are not allowed so I think my scientific calculator (fx-83ES) isn't allowed. :mad:

2) Which optional modules are the easiest? The online module registration opens up on the 17th and I just want to pick the easiest modules. :biggrin:

3) How hard is the first year compared to your expectations?

Thanks in advance- will rep all good responses.
1. If they don't let you put in alphabetical, then that rules out just about all graphical calculators. Presumably it's to stop you cheating? Just use one of the Casio Natural Display ones, the only thing you'll miss is graphing functions, polynomial solvers, etc They're really nice to use though, especially since they give you exact values for trig functions :biggrin:

To be honest it's good for you. You'll get better at sketching graphs, you should be able to solve polynomials easily anyway, matrices you can do without a calculator (but it's handy) and everything else that you're likely to use (including stats functions) will be on the the one you've got i think.

An alphabetical calculator, i assume, means programmable ie- that you can store data on it.

It is probably the best calculator you can get that'll satisfy your needs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=651771&page=2 I believe that's you as well, so that's the best advice you'll get.

2. I would imagine that is widely dependant on what you're interested in. You could take a module that everyone says is easy, but that you personally find depressingly boring and so you do badly in it. Take stuff that you think will interest you and you'll be better for it.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/depta2z/morse/glno/#intro since only one module is optional, and it looks like it's a pretty damn wide range to pick from, just pick the one that looks most interesting!

3. Bear in mind i'm physics not MORSE.

It's going vastly depend on what sort of students they take - whether they're going to spend a while getting everyone up to speed first and so on. Odds are you'll cope well with it if you work hard...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hi, I'm about to start my second year doing MMORSE.
1.They didn't really check calculators during the exams, so I wouldn't worry about it really. But just to be sure, if you only have a graphical one which can store alphabetical data, get a scientific one, which only costs like a fiver.
2. Yeh, it is probably best you take a module that interests you. I started out with those intentions but then just took "easy modules" which I think are seen as Stat Lab, Games and Decisions and Differential Equations A, especially if you have done them before. If you have done a lot of mechanics, do mechanics. Hopefully the MORSE society, of which I'm part of the exec, will do something after your introductory lecture where you can ask people from higher years about modules and the course, and meet other first years.
3. MORSE does have a reputation for being a bit hardcore, but to be honest I think the first year is not too hard really. It's just about finding how much work you have to do on a weekly basis. I managed to achieve a first (albeit I scraped it) without stretching myself too far. Look on the main applicants thread or the search function to find peoples opinions.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot. Just one more question: when do the summer exams start? I might go on holiday at easter so just wondering if there are any at the start of term 3.
Reply 4
There weren't any for me or anyone I know of, but I would definitely check your handbook beforehand, because things might have changed.
Reply 5
spearman123
Thanks a lot. Just one more question: when do the summer exams start? I might go on holiday at easter so just wondering if there are any at the start of term 3.

some term 1 modules (like mechanics A etc) are examined in the first week of term 3

Latest