The Student Room Group

How do I get access to coursebooks from a module that I'm not doing?

Hi, Is there any way to find out what coursebook a university module is using if you don't even go to the university, i.e. if a degree module is Biotechnology, what coursebooks would the students be using?
Note: I have a side interest in a topic but would like to explore it more.
If you look at the particular modules of the course (webpages), you should see the individual text required for the students studying them. If you have problems finding the page for the module, I'd try googling it. Sometimes, you can google and find particular lecture notes for the course/module.
Alternatively, if you can't find either, you can call or email the department to ask for their recommended reading list for students studying the modules. I don't think they will particularly mind.
Please note, the academic textbooks won't be cheap. The cheapest one I have seen cost £30. The more expensive ones can be as high as £45-60. If you need to, ask for a public's pass into their university's library, and try to read the textbooks if you can - most should be in the short loan section.
Having said the above, not all textbooks are good or well written. Some are significantly better than others. It's better to ask for recommended textbooks people would buy for your chosen subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending