The Student Room Group

Economics and Business A level

Hi, I’m thinking of either doing
1) Maths, Further maths, Economics, Business
2) Maths, Further maths, Economics, Geography
at a level, but i’m really unsure of what option to choose because i’ve heard opposing views on taking Economics and Business together. Some people have told me that it will disadvantage me because most unis don’t prefer it, but some others have said that it’s useful doing them together as the go together well and are both useful. So I’m not too sure whether I should risk taking them both together, what option would you pick? Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by aesamira
Hi, I’m thinking of either doing
1) Maths, Further maths, Economics, Business
2) Maths, Further maths, Economics, Geography
at a level, but i’m really unsure of what option to choose because i’ve heard opposing views on taking Economics and Business together. Some people have told me that it will disadvantage me because most unis don’t prefer it, but some others have said that it’s useful doing them together as the go together well and are both useful. So I’m not too sure whether I should risk taking them both together, what option would you pick? Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you! :smile:

You should check the entry requirements of your preferred universities. That can help you make a decision. I've also heard people say that Economics and Business are too similar. Maths and Further Maths are also inter-connected. If you want a break from the monotony, I would say take Geography. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. I added Geography to get a different kind of subject and throw in variety because Maths and Science get monotonous after a while. So, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely pick Geography. It also shows admissions officers that you have a broad range of academic interests and capabilities.

However, if you can't handle the amount of content in Geography, I suggest that you stick with Business. There is A LOT to learn. It's incredibly interesting and I think you would love it because you have real-world examples for everything you learn. But you should always take your time and preferences into account. If you can't handle the content, leave it. A high grade in Business will always be favored more than a low grade in Geography. The upside to your first combination is that you have topics that overlap so you don't really have to learn a ton of new content.

At the end of the day, this is a personal decision you have to make. Check your university, your time, and your capabilities before deciding.
Reply 2
There is some overlap in content between business studies and economics. That is probably what people mean when they say they "go well together". Really that shouldn't be a factor, you don't need overlapping topics in your subjects to do well in them.

Quick Reply

Latest