The Student Room Group

Choosing a university for maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngelFever
Do you know how far the accommodation is from where the lectures take place?
Is Loughborough as sporty as people say? (I’m not very sporty)
I’ll book onto that virtual open day, thank you!

Hi @AngelFever,

There are Halls located five minutes walk away from where the lectures take place for Maths, and to be honest, we have a shuttle bus that takes you around the campus, so getting around is really easy.

Although we are renown for our sports facilities and opportunities (available to all students regardless of ability) we offer so much more. If you’re creative and into music, then LU Arts have a plethora of activities you can get involved in, from choir singing to performance poetry nights and visual arts to music tuition.

Our Students’ Union is the only union that is owned and managed by the students. There are over 115 clubs and societies to choose from, including sky diving, political and cultural societies, trading and real ales. If you’re into fundraising, then you'll be interested to hear that the Loughborough Rag regularly raises more than a £1,000,000 a year for charity and good causes.

You won't get bored, there something for everyone! I hope you enjoy our virtual open day and let me know if you need any further information.

All the best
Bindu
I’ve attended York’s, Leeds’ & Nottingham’s virtual open days. Also I’ve booked onto Sheffield’s and Liverpool’s virtual open days. I’ll have a look into all the unis you’ve mentioned, thank you for all this help. I’ve just looked at Durham’s website and it says A*A*A or A*AA with a good score on an admission test, so maybe a bit too high but I'll look into it further.

So basically you are looking at the North of England and Midlands. In that area you have Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Sheffield, Loughborough, Lancaster, Manchester and Liverpool and if you are prepared to travel further Birmingham and Warwick. It depends on what kind of place you want to be in and what type of Maths course you want to look at.
No idea if I want to be in a big or small city so I’ll have to think on that but I do know I don’t want to be in London. I would probably prefer to be on campus and I’ve now narrowed down my list by distance.
I prefer pure Maths, don’t mind stats but absolutely hate mechanics. I’m not taking STEP so mostly likely won’t be applying to those that require it, but I am taking the TMUA. Also I do meet the contextual conditions at the majority of universities.
Thank you for this very detailed advice :smile:

It's quite easy to avoid Mechanics work at uni, as it's mostly offered in optional modules unless you take a particularly engineering-y course. Pretty much every uni course contains Stats as it's a really important tool in Maths! Good luck with your application.
Thank you!

I’ve taken on your advice and narrowed down my list by distance. Do you know whether unis usually have the exams vs coursework bit on their websites or whether I’d have to email and ask? I’ve seen it on some but not many, but I may be looking in the wrong place. Does the max loan usually cover the cheapest accommodation at each uni? I think Bristol is a bit too far for me but thanks anyway.

Lots of websites for uni courses will have it straight on the page, some you may need to dig a little deeper into the uni's course info pages to find specific info, and some you will just have to email or ask students who already go there. The maximum loan will normally cover the cheapest accommodation with spare for food and necessities (and depending on where you apply you may have a fair bit left over). Just like to point out that most people apply to cheaper accommodations so you may not actually get the cheapest or cheaper accommodations because you may not get any of the choices you put down for first/second/third (etc, I know Bristol made people put 10 choices and some people got none of the choices they put down) choice so make sure that you know how much you can afford to pay on rent, and if you get allocated something you can't afford, call up the uni and explain the situation and they will probably be able to get you a swap if possible. This is very much stuff to worry about next summer but nonetheless something that I think many overlook and then panic about. In terms of which universities have cheaper versus more expensive rent, generally the more well-to-do the area/city, the more expensive the accommodation (as you'd expect). Smaller cities I imagine probably have cheaper rent? London, Bristol and Bath generally are quite pricey though I imagine if you're saying that Bristol is far then you're probably from the beautiful north so you wouldn't be considering them.

Either way, I hope I've been of some use, and if you have any more questions (including finding info about specific universities) then just let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Does anyone have any advice on choosing a university for a maths degree? I can't decide which universities to apply to, and I've been trying to decide for absolutely ages.

My predicted grades are A*AAB (Including A* in maths, A in further maths). What grade range do you reckon I should be looking at?

TIA

Yo @MidgetFever this user is copying your username
Do you know how far the accommodation is from where the lectures take place?
Is Loughborough as sporty as people say? (I’m not very sporty)
I’ll book onto that virtual open day, thank you!

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I replied to your questions the other day but can't see it on this thread (very annoying) so i'll answer them again!

There are a selection of halls of residence available that is around 5-10 minutes walk from where the lectures will be held. Getting around campus is easy anyway, we have a shuttle bus that goes around campus and into town regularly.

Although we are renown for our sports courses and facilities, there is so much more you can get involved in: LU Arts and Students’ Union. You will not get bored with all of the extra-curricular activities we have on offer, there’s something for everyone.

Enjoy the open day!!

Bindu
How was the open day?
Reply 27
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @AngelFever,

There are Halls located five minutes walk away from where the lectures take place for Maths, and to be honest, we have a shuttle bus that takes you around the campus, so getting around is really easy.

Although we are renown for our sports facilities and opportunities (available to all students regardless of ability) we offer so much more. If you’re creative and into music, then LU Arts have a plethora of activities you can get involved in, from choir singing to performance poetry nights and visual arts to music tuition.

Our Students’ Union is the only union that is owned and managed by the students. There are over 115 clubs and societies to choose from, including sky diving, political and cultural societies, trading and real ales. If you’re into fundraising, then you'll be interested to hear that the Loughborough Rag regularly raises more than a £1,000,000 a year for charity and good causes.

You won't get bored, there something for everyone! I hope you enjoy our virtual open day and let me know if you need any further information.

All the best
Bindu

Original post by swanseajack1
So basically you are looking at the North of England and Midlands. In that area you have Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Sheffield, Loughborough, Lancaster, Manchester and Liverpool and if you are prepared to travel further Birmingham and Warwick. It depends on what kind of place you want to be in and what type of Maths course you want to look at.

Original post by DoNotMove
Lots of websites for uni courses will have it straight on the page, some you may need to dig a little deeper into the uni's course info pages to find specific info, and some you will just have to email or ask students who already go there. The maximum loan will normally cover the cheapest accommodation with spare for food and necessities (and depending on where you apply you may have a fair bit left over). Just like to point out that most people apply to cheaper accommodations so you may not actually get the cheapest or cheaper accommodations because you may not get any of the choices you put down for first/second/third (etc, I know Bristol made people put 10 choices and some people got none of the choices they put down) choice so make sure that you know how much you can afford to pay on rent, and if you get allocated something you can't afford, call up the uni and explain the situation and they will probably be able to get you a swap if possible. This is very much stuff to worry about next summer but nonetheless something that I think many overlook and then panic about. In terms of which universities have cheaper versus more expensive rent, generally the more well-to-do the area/city, the more expensive the accommodation (as you'd expect). Smaller cities I imagine probably have cheaper rent? London, Bristol and Bath generally are quite pricey though I imagine if you're saying that Bristol is far then you're probably from the beautiful north so you wouldn't be considering them.

Either way, I hope I've been of some use, and if you have any more questions (including finding info about specific universities) then just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you all!
Reply 28
Original post by tinygirl96
How was the open day?

So I attended open days for the Unis of Lancaster, Sheffield & Liverpool. I enjoyed the Lancaster & Liverpool ones which both seemed to be very informative. Unfortunately I didn’t like the Sheffield one much as they didn’t seem to be very enthusiastic.
Reply 29
Anyone have any opinions of the Universities of Nottingham, Lancaster, Loughborough, York & Liverpool? I think they might be the ones I'm going for.
They are decent universities but what matters is where you prefer not others.

Quick Reply

Latest