The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Assistance

I'm in a slight dilemma with what to put on my personal statement, I don't do anything out of school really, play a few games and that's about it. I learn a little bit of a language and I do a little bit of drawing but wanted to know if that will ever come back to haunt me if I write it and am not actually any good at those things. I don't really see why a uni needs to know these things but my teachers keep telling me I need something.

TL;DR: I basically do nothing outside of school regularly, what do I write on my personal statement?
You talk about your interest in the course, e.g. through extra reading/online lectures :smile: Check out this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
You talk about your interest in the course, e.g. through extra reading/online lectures :smile: Check out this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418

Thanks, that really helps. For the part on there where it says "talk about your interests", what kind of things do they want to see? Like I said I don't really do much extra and I don't want them to think I'm boring or unmotivated.
Original post by bemy_
Thanks, that really helps. For the part on there where it says "talk about your interests", what kind of things do they want to see? Like I said I don't really do much extra and I don't want them to think I'm boring or unmotivated.

It won't matter too much if you don't write about hobbies - you can write that you like to draw and learnt a bit of a language in your spare time, but it won't form part of the offer
Hi,

Only about 25% of your personal statement should discuss hobbies/ extracurricular activities that you do. They are mainly concerned about your academic interests. For example, in an English Lit personal statement, I would talk about my interest in medieval literature and then say what I did about it - did I listen to a podcast on it? Watch a ted talk? Read some poems and compare the language? Then, briefly discuss the findings and how it has fuelled your passion to study on your chosen course. This can be done with any subject and shows the tutors that you have a great interest in the course and that you are willing to study independently.
If you need to boost the words where you discuss your hobbies, I know people who have talked about what they plan on doing in university. They have said "I have a great interest in language, so I plan on joining the French society. This will help me to develop analytical skills which will help me with my course because..." You should always link your hobbies back to how it will benefit the course you wish to study. For example, I said, "I have been a member of my local choir for 12 years which has helped me to decipher tone and imagery in lyrics".

I did this for my personal statement and I've had 4 responses so far from unis, all with offers. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by bemy_
I'm in a slight dilemma with what to put on my personal statement, I don't do anything out of school really, play a few games and that's about it. I learn a little bit of a language and I do a little bit of drawing but wanted to know if that will ever come back to haunt me if I write it and am not actually any good at those things. I don't really see why a uni needs to know these things but my teachers keep telling me I need something.

TL;DR: I basically do nothing outside of school regularly, what do I write on my personal statement?

Hiya!

That's okay! I can forward you to a thread that my university has available at the moment to anyone interested in some personal statement help. The thread is open until Friday :smile: The people answering questions are from the Student recruitment team so have lots of experience in personal statements.

This is the link- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6762596&p=91660288#post91660288

Hope it helps! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending